America's History of Slavery Began Long Before Jamestown.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
The arrival of the first captives to the Jamestown Colony, in 1619, is often seen as the beginning of slavery in America—but enslaved Africans arrived in North America as early as the 1500s.

^ It is believed the first Africans brought to the colony of Virginia, 400 years ago this month, were Kimbundu-speaking peoples from the kingdom of Ndongo, located in part of present-day Angola. Slave traders forced the captives to march several hundred miles to the coast to board the San Juan Bautista, one of at least 36 transatlantic Portuguese and Spanish slave ships.

The ship embarked with about 350 Africans on board, but hunger and disease took a swift toll. En route, about 150 captives died. Then, when the San Juan Bautista approached what is now Veracruz, Mexico in the summer of 1619, it encountered two ships, the White Lion and another English privateer, the Treasurer. The crews stormed the vulnerable slave ship and seized 50 to 60 of the remaining Africans. After, the pair sailed for Virginia.

As noted by Rolfe, when the White Lion arrived in what is now present-day Hampton, Virginia, the Africans were offloaded and “bought for victuals.”

Why do you think that slaves didn't cross the Bering's Land Bridge back 15,000 years ago? ...

Didn’t think about it.

Thought it was an interesting topic for discussion..

For a change. :cool-45:

Focusing on the English colonies omits the global nature of slavery

‘From an Anglo-American perspective, 1619 is considered the beginning of slavery, just like Jamestown and Plymouth symbolize the beginnings of "America" from an English-speaking point of view. But divorcing the idea of North America's first enslaved people from the overall context of slavery in the Americas, especially when the U.S. was not formed for another 157 years, is not historically accurate.

“We would do well to remember that much of what played out in places like Virginia were the result of things that had already happened in Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, Peru, Brazil and elsewhere,” says Guasco.’ ibid

Hence the African diaspora.

Focusing on the English colonies omits the global nature of slavery

‘From an Anglo-American perspective, 1619 is considered the beginning of slavery, just like Jamestown and Plymouth symbolize the beginnings of "America" from an English-speaking point of view. But divorcing the idea of North America's first enslaved people from the overall context of slavery in the Americas, especially when the U.S. was not formed for another 157 years, is not historically accurate.

“We would do well to remember that much of what played out in places like Virginia were the result of things that had already happened in Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, Peru, Brazil and elsewhere,” says Guasco.’ ibid

Hence the African diaspora.

I expressed an interest in the South American slave trade. (More slaves in Brazil than North America, I think. But nobody wanted to know.

The slave trade was quite active and robust when the Portuguese landing along the African coast ... and the pagan tribes were eager to sell the Europeans the Christian slaves they had gathered ... and when the pagans ran out of slaves to sell, they'd raid the inland tribes and steal their Christian slaves ...

This is at the beginning of the Wars of Religion ... Catholics killing Protestants and Protestants killing Catholics all over Europe ... Christian not associated with either, and already enslaved, didn't receive any acknowledgment ...

Black Man enslaved Black Man ... Whitie Catholics just provided the money ...

I saw cotton and I saw black.
Tall white mansions and little shacks.
Southern man, when will you pay them back?
I heard screamin' and bullwhips cracking.
How long? How long?

I saw the descendants of the Barbary slave trade at the Nazareth market. Blonde blue eyed Arabs. Some were red haired with freckles.

8472A658-D084-4BC3-8A57-1D9FEF0FE079.jpeg

The slave trade was quite active and robust when the Portuguese landing along the African coast ... and the pagan tribes were eager to sell the Europeans the Christian slaves they had gathered ... and when the pagans ran out of slaves to sell, they'd raid the inland tribes and steal their Christian slaves ...

This is at the beginning of the Wars of Religion ... Catholics killing Protestants and Protestants killing Catholics all over Europe ... Christian not associated with either, and already enslaved, didn't receive any acknowledgment ...

Black Man enslaved Black Man ... Whitie Catholics just provided the money ...

I saw cotton and I saw black.
Tall white mansions and little shacks.
Southern man, when will you pay them back?
I heard screamin' and bullwhips cracking.
How long? How long?
I saw the descendants of the Barbary slave trade at the Nazareth market. Blonde blue eyed Arabs. Some were red haired with freckles.

View attachment 604056
N. African slave ships patrolled well up into Europe capturing them for centuries. They also had created a well established land route down to Mali where slave capturing tribes would sell slaves to the Arabs there. This map fell into the hands of some people in Portugal. This combined with the fall of Constantinople led them to build ships to sail around N. Africa to the W. Coast of Africa. The first sugar plantation was built 100 miles off of the W. Coast of Africa. The CC discovered the New World, game on.

European powers with open sea ports to the Atlantic thrived, England, Spain, France, Portugal, Netherlands, etc. Italy, Greece were Med sea locked ....same for Ottomans/Turkey.

Yeah but it wasn't "America", it was the New World or the English colonies or some such thing. The confederacy only lasted about four years. The flag that flew from the stern of slave ships and dominated slavery for about two hundred years was the Union Jack.

Yeah but it wasn't "America", it was the New World or the English colonies or some such thing. The confederacy only lasted about four years. The flag that flew from the stern of slave ships and dominated slavery for about two hundred years was the Union Jack.
Sadly, American Slavery was very harsh. I studied it in relation to the History of Russian Serfdom.

Russian Serfdom was harsh. The life of about 35% of all Russian peasants who had work obligation was extremely miserable. They were called barshina serfs. Barshina is work obligation.

Work obligation of American Slaves was about 3 times as high as work obligation of Barshina Serfs.

Forum List

Back