America's North Korea (California) bans tv in bars and restaurants.

Meh, no valve driven 4x12 cabs.

Yeah, about 28 valves in all, about 20 MOSFETS, and 9 drivers in 5 cabinets quad-amped to 3,000 watts to go nearly flat from about 12Hz to 16kHz. It serves. :eusa_whistle:

I get 124 decibels with a quad of EL34's and a single 4x12. Honestly I don't want to go any louder than that.

That's not bad but I've run EL34s, I know what they can do, and I know you're running them push-pull in pentode and pushing them very hard, 124 dB is nice but you're getting it by driving your tubes too hard. It's not just the tube, but a question of whether you have the power supply to back them up.

At 124dB, your system is running out of (or has run out of) gas. At 130 dB, my system is cruising, the volume is only turned up to about 10 o'clock (5 o'clock is max) and it can play louder still, just that this is now rock concert level, stuff on the other side of my house is falling off the shelves, and I'm worried about breaking my window.

You can't ask an amp, ANY amp, to run full range and expect to get the best sound from it. Tubes don't play bass well, and no transistor amp is worth a damn over 100Hz. The more you can isolate the jobs of subsonics, mid-bass, midrange and treble each with the amp speaker combo ideally matched, the better your performance will be.

Last edited:
I have no distortion. Last time that was an issue I was in my early 20's with cheap shit.

How very cute. Unless you can tell me you are running a custom system well into the six-figures, I guarantee you that you've got distortion out the wazoo.

Unlike consumer gear, with a good pro sound music system the louder you play it, the BETTER it actually sounds!
Don't need 6 figures to rock the neighborhood with CLEAR SOUND. That's just absurd.
I do use and external power control center that filters out electronic noise. It also doubles as an insurance of sorts. Anything connected to it is guaranteed for life from surges and a few other things. Only made a claim once after a lightning strike and was promptly sent a new amp.

And just to clue you in decibels above 70 or 80 can damage your hearing after sustained listening regardless of the clarity of the source.

The rulers have spoken!

This crazy crap is unbelievable. Why do the citizens of California keep putting up with this shit?
It is very believable and acceptable for me a Californian. We need to get a handle on this virus and expel it from mankind.

First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

4-Common-Mistakes-To-Avoid-When-Throwing-a-Super-Bowl-Party.jpg

Don't need 6 figures to rock the neighborhood with CLEAR SOUND. That's just absurd.
I guess we each have different definitions of "clear sound." If you've never tasted filet, you don't mind hamburger. Ask yourself if you can close your eyes and believe you're at a live rock concert? Don't forget, I saw a picture of your set up there, I'm not saying your stuff doesn't sound nice or good, but really--- your speakers are not even set up right.

I do use and external power control center that filters out electronic noise. It also doubles as an insurance of sorts. Anything connected to it is guaranteed for life from surges and a few other things.
That's fine. You have EMI/RFI line filtering. So do I. That's a very basic little thing which just reduces hum, lowers the noise floor and helps gear sound a bit cleaner. You can accomplish much of the same by just playing your system very late at night. Try listening to music at 4AM some time.

Only made a claim once after a lightning strike and was promptly sent a new amp.
If it knocked out an amp, it couldn't have been good for the line conditioner either. Probably fried some varistors.

And just to clue you in decibels above 70 or 80 can damage your hearing after sustained listening regardless of the clarity of the source.
Then I must be in trouble cause 70-80 dB is normal everyday room noise and I've been listening to music for nearly 50 years and my hearing is fine.

The rulers have spoken!

This crazy crap is unbelievable. Why do the citizens of California keep putting up with this shit?
In Maine all the bars are still closed. Everything else is open with precautions, the curfews have been lifted, but the gov doesn't trust us we when we're drunk. Go figger.

Don't you think the tv thing might be because of Superbowl parties? It'll probably get lifted after the weekend.

Forum List

Back