America’s Worst Airlines.

I used Alaska Airlines for the first time to get to and from Kauai. Frankly their staff are excellent. The only delay of a flight was due to the Maui Fires that caused people to hurry back to the States causing one hour long delay at Seattle. My cell phone died in Seattle and when I got to Boise, the wonderful woman working for Alaska took me to the charging station to get my phone working to call my son who came to get me. Gone from previous flights on different airlines was the screens to watch movies. And honestly who likes airline food. Way back when, they did serve better meals.

I never had a worse experience than last week on American Airlines.

I understand why the flight was delayed from 6:50 PM to ultimately 1:00 AM, and then canceled. They knew ahead of time this flight would likely be canceled and when it came time (12:30 AM) to re-book, they were unprepared.

The people rebooking were nice but new to the job, and a couple agents were basicaly lost. The people at the front of a long line got re-booked, the rest of us scrambled. After standing in line for over an hour (a line that was growing very long) there was nothing to my original destination left and alternate nearby airports were not either. I settled for St. Louis the next morning and would figure out how to get home later.

The flight to St. Louis from Dallas had one of two air conditioners working (108 degrees the day before) and was late leaving, but who cares, I'm finally out of Dallas. They had over 7 hours to get my luggage off the canceled flight and onto my new flight, and of course they couldn't do that. The women in St. Louis in charge of finding lost luggage were clueless, but they eventually figured out how to use the computer. We used an Uber at our cost to get home and eventually the luggage arrived later that evening.

I never had a worse experience than last week on American Airlines. I understand why the flight was delayed from 6:50 PM to ultimately 1:00 AM, and then canceled. They knew ahead of time this flight would likely be canceled and when it came time (12:30 AM) to re-book, they were unprepared. The people rebooking were nice but new to the job, and a couple agents were basicaly lost. The people at the front of a long line got re-booked, the rest of us scrambled. After standing in line for over an hour (a line that was growing very long) there was nothing to my original destination left and alternate nearby airports were not either. I settled for St. Louis the next morning and would figure out how to get home later. The flight to St. Louis from Dallas had one of two air conditioners working (108 degrees the day before) and was late leaving, but who cares, I'm finally out of Dallas. They had over 7 hours to get my luggage off the canceled flight and onto my new flight, and of course they couldn't do that. The women in St. Louis in charge of finding lost luggage were clueless, but they eventually figured out how to use the computer. We used an Uber at our cost to get home and eventually the luggage arrived later that evening.

^^^ Proof once again that there IS a just god. :71:

I flew on Spirt roundtrip once. I wasn't sure what to expect since people talk about the seating being cramped. I thought the seats were fine, as long as you don't sit next to someone who overflows their seat.

I'm of the opinion that some of the bigger airlines, like United and American, are the worst ones to fly. I've never had a problem flying on Allegiant, and if you didn't know, Las Vegas is their hub, hence why the Raiders play in a stadium of the same name.

For Dallas to be the hub of American and still see such incompetence, I've seen all I need to see. I will mention that DFW airport is awesome and a great airport to be stranded in.

Yea, because Uber drives from St. Louis to Beijing.
You'd be stupid enough to think that. Guess they don't teach geography there in China.

Putin is running out of youing guys, pretty soon you're gonna have to get off your computer and put your money where your mouth is.
That's a sure sight better than where YOUR mouth is, sucking my ass!

I'm of the opinion that some of the bigger airlines, like United and American, are the worst ones to fly. I've never had a problem flying on Allegiant, and if you didn't know, Las Vegas is their hub, hence why the Raiders play in a stadium of the same name.

For Dallas to be the hub of American and still see such incompetence, I've seen all I need to see. I will mention that DFW airport is awesome and a great airport to be stranded in.
My first ever commercial airline flight was on TWA in 1964 and it was a Jet. To me it was heaven.
Since then I have flown back and forth from CA to the East Coast a number of times so I can evaluate changes to air travel. My worst flight was from the SF Bay Area to Pittsburg, PA due to some super fat woman sitting to my left by the window. when her stomach growled, it felt like it was mine, she was so fat. I have flown a number of jets from narrow body to wide body. Wide body can handle wider seats. I am not some thin person. I am about 230 and it is 30 pounds too much. But the seats work fine. This recent trip, from Kauai to Seattle was between brothers from Wasilla Alaska on their way home and both of them were larger than me. But we we managed fine on Alaska Airlines. Going to Kauai I sat in wider seats and those were fine.

Eastern was by far the worst just before they went under. Alaska is working on it.
Alaska has a fleet of 737 Jets that handle up to around 180 passengers. They also have 10 Airbus planes. They use Embraer 175s for shorter hops. Those have a bit narrower seats than does the 737. Also up front in the 737 for more money, wider seats are there.

Here is Alaska's air fleet.

Last edited:
I used Alaska Airlines for the first time to get to and from Kauai. Frankly their staff are excellent. The only delay of a flight was due to the Maui Fires that caused people to hurry back to the States causing one hour long delay at Seattle. My cell phone died in Seattle and when I got to Boise, the wonderful woman working for Alaska took me to the charging station to get my phone working to call my son who came to get me. Gone from previous flights on different airlines was the screens to watch movies. And honestly who likes airline food. Way back when, they did serve better meals.
I used to fly Alaska when they served you free champagne and had Bible verses on the napkins….

Forum List

Back