An 1896 lament about Italians and Eastern Europeans sounds eerily familiar today

Oh they were mafia. The loggers of Oregon and Washington made and ran booze for them for years.

That's nice-----the entire country was inundated with Sicilian criminals, EVERY TOWN AND VILLAGE AND HAMLET ----any place
in which there was any fermentation going on -----(even my grandmother made wine at home----right in the heart of mafia land---
NEW YORK CITY) and she never met a mafia person
So? You don't understand what a still does, do you? Your grandma didn't run a still. And it's always funny when ppl from thousands of miles away think they have a better understanding of the community we live in than we do. Do some fucking research. Bootlegging under the mob was RAMPANT in the pacific NW.

Did I say grandma had a still?------she didn't sell her little bottles of fermented grape juice either-------she was not into crime.. I am fully aware of the fact of the mafia involvement with the criminal sales of
liquor--------since most people were not INTO that sort of thing----how
does that involvement constitute MAFIA CONTROLED all over the
the whole country-----in every village and hamlet. I have some real
wild news for you-----while there may have been a personal still ---some-
where-----in just about every village and hamlet------MOST PEOPLE were
not selling the stuff. I am old enough to remember when lots of people like you decided "all college kids use drugs"
Huh I thought you said mafia involvement was unlikely in my family situation...then offered up your gramma hooch story as an anecdote illustrating your point.

I do not recall stating specifically anything about YOUR family and the mafia-----I disputed the assertion that MAFIA virtually controlled the
entire country ------at the most basic level----"every city and town".
If I had known that your family was into working stills for profit during
prohibition -----near major cities, no less, I would, certainly, not question an assertion that they came into contact with mafia-----my only contact
with mafia is a bit indirect----some distant relatives of members,
and their victims dragged into the hospital in body bags, and the
fact that they lived in those big houses in the more secluded
part of my county---------as kids a big adventure was riding one's bike
for peeking purposes. <<<other than that, mafia never touched
my life and certainly did not control it

mafia people may have had some control on the pizza parlors that EVENTUALLY popped up in the area----(???)

a poster wrote>>>>>
That's pretty much what I said i think:biggrin: That is not happening with the more recent immigrants however. Now the various groups stay to themselves and try like hell to ignore American culture, they do have their hands out though.

I questioned this post for the author's opinion of who are the "various
groups" which CURRENTLY stay to themselves and ignore American culture?-----
I continue to live in a very diverse city-------has been for more than 100
years --------which still has enclaves of this or that person of this or that
origin-------who still do their own thing five generations after immigration.

You're right; in many cases, they owned the town lock stock and barrel; corrupting both the police force and the governments of those towns.
They definitely had a nationwide presence. My grandpa lived in the coastal mtn range of Oregon...he did six months in federal prison for keeping a still on his property. The suits who told him they'd bail him out if he got caught were mafia....and didn't bail him lol. Gramma supported the fam by selling eggs and butter during his absence.

bull shit------"they said they were "mafia" " re gandpa----you sleep with dogs you wake with fleas
Oh they were mafia. The loggers of Oregon and Washington made and ran booze for them for years.

That's nice-----the entire country was inundated with Sicilian criminals, EVERY TOWN AND VILLAGE AND HAMLET ----any place
in which there was any fermentation going on -----(even my grandmother made wine at home----right in the heart of mafia land---
So? You don't understand what a still does, do you? Your grandma didn't run a still. And it's always funny when ppl from thousands of miles away think they have a better understanding of the community we live in than we do. Do some fucking research. Bootlegging under the mob was RAMPANT in the pacific NW.

HUH? people were forced to do bootlegging in the pacific
northwest?---------you are right----I did not know that the mafia
forced people to do bootlegging in the pacific northwest----did
mafia "wops" keep the workers locked up in barbed wire enclosures?
I need your help----I do not know how to transform parts of a car
into a still-------the distilling tubes used in labs are very expensive.

how much does moonshine go for lately

They definitely had a nationwide presence. My grandpa lived in the coastal mtn range of Oregon...he did six months in federal prison for keeping a still on his property. The suits who told him they'd bail him out if he got caught were mafia....and didn't bail him lol. Gramma supported the fam by selling eggs and butter during his absence.

bull shit------"they said they were "mafia" " re gandpa----you sleep with dogs you wake with fleas

Who said they were forced? Wtf are you ranting about? Sure as shit nothing I said.

Who said they were forced? Wtf are you ranting about? Sure as shit nothing I said.

I made it clear------I was alluding to statements made by someone----
which you seemed to have endorsed that "mafia controlled
most of the country" In fact they did not even control those
people who chose to do business with them. There were rumors in
my part of the country-----the north-east-----that shop keepers who sold
groceries ----most specifically TUNED to consumption by Italians back
then-----to stock only progresso stuff-----or something like that.
Their areas of interest never included the WHOLE COUNTRY-----
or the whole population. If Mafia, today, has an interest in
heroin sales (which I doubt) I don't care any more than their history of
controlling bootlegging

PS----kosher girl-----by now-----after reading this messageboard---you,
of all people, should have learned THE ZIONISTS CONTROL THE COUNTRY------and the world. which brings me to another point-----
when are you guys going to make progresso pizza sauce KOSHER?
and gem cooking oil-----my mom preferred that one------if I remember correctly it has something like 5% olive oil (?) Please ramp up the
EVOO I don't see it around anymore-----

Ellis_island_1902-wikimedia-body-thumb-615x302-58558.jpg

In 1896, Ellis Island was just four years old, but already more than 1 million immigrants had entered the United States through its port. In the coming years, the center would process 12 million people seeking a new home in America -- 69 percent of whom were from Eastern, Central, or Southern Europe. The demographics of the country were changing, much to the fear of some.

In an essay titled "Restriction of Immigration," Atlantic author Francis A. Walker took issue with the "vast throngs of ignorant and brutalized peasantry" from Europe immigrating to America. His argument: increasing foreign-born populations would put a "hopeless burden on our country," and take work away from native-born citizens. He writes:

No longer it is a matter of course that that ever industrious and temperate man can find work in the United States...When the country was flooded with ignorant and unskilled foreigners, who could do nothing but the lowest kind of labor, Americans instinctively shrank from the contact and the competition thus offered to them. So long as manual labor, in whatever field, was to be done by all, each in his place, there was no revolt at it; but when working on railroads and canals became the sign of a want of education and of a low social condition, our own people gave it up, and left it to those who were able to do that, and nothing better.

Sound familiar?

The anxiety about immigration in the early 20th century hits a lot of the same notes as the anxiety about immigration today does," says Richard Alba, distinguished professor of sociology at the CUNY Graduate Center. "It's the fear of the undermining the economic position of 'the native majority,' and also the fear of being swamped demographically by new groups that are racially and culturally different from the mainstream."

Its the same old playbook used against Irish and Italians that they are using today. I'm sure there were even manesque women like Ann Coulter talking about we need to build a fence then too

Read more From the Archives: The 'Hopeless Burden' of Immigration

The problem is that some idiots seem confused about the difference between legal and illegal immigration. That would be one difference between then and now.

In 1896, Ellis Island was just four years old, but already more than 1 million immigrants had entered the United States through its port. In the coming years, the center would process 12 million people seeking a new home in America -- 69 percent of whom were from Eastern, Central, or Southern Europe. The demographics of the country were changing, much to the fear of some.

In an essay titled "Restriction of Immigration," Atlantic author Francis A. Walker took issue with the "vast throngs of ignorant and brutalized peasantry" from Europe immigrating to America. His argument: increasing foreign-born populations would put a "hopeless burden on our country," and take work away from native-born citizens. He writes:

No longer it is a matter of course that that ever industrious and temperate man can find work in the United States...When the country was flooded with ignorant and unskilled foreigners, who could do nothing but the lowest kind of labor, Americans instinctively shrank from the contact and the competition thus offered to them. So long as manual labor, in whatever field, was to be done by all, each in his place, there was no revolt at it; but when working on railroads and canals became the sign of a want of education and of a low social condition, our own people gave it up, and left it to those who were able to do that, and nothing better.

Sound familiar?

The anxiety about immigration in the early 20th century hits a lot of the same notes as the anxiety about immigration today does," says Richard Alba, distinguished professor of sociology at the CUNY Graduate Center. "It's the fear of the undermining the economic position of 'the native majority,' and also the fear of being swamped demographically by new groups that are racially and culturally different from the mainstream."

Its the same old playbook used against Irish and Italians that they are using today. I'm sure there were even manesque women like Ann Coulter talking about we need to build a fence then too

The problem is that some idiots seem confused about the difference between legal and illegal immigration. That would be one difference between then and now.

I'm not confused about it. It's a completely made up distinction. The difference between legal and illegal immigrants is paperwork.

Soooooooo, how many people are we talking about back then? A million? Two? How about 4 million from 1880 to 1920. They comprised 10 percent of the total foreign population in the US. And....they were the Mexicans of the era. They worked cheap and took jobs away from the lower classes who couldn't work that cheaply.

However, lets' look at the differences....they almost ALL began to learn English and worked harder than hell to assimilate to the US. They didn't decide that they would only speak their native language and follow their culture instead of becoming Americans.

They adapted to the laws of the US and abandoned the laws of Italy (except for the Mafia of course, they maintained the old ways) they never once tried to push their laws on us.

Yes, superficially the two times are similar, but when you look deeper the differences are glaring.

Not really.

The first generation did not always assimilate so well. They had their own communities, even their own language papers and stores - Yiddish, Italian, Russian, Chinese - you heard of China Town and Little Italy. Typically, the second generation picked up the good language skills and the culture. They maintained many aspects of their own culture that in turn enriched ours. Each succeeding generation became more "American" - then, and now.

In terms of breaking the law...well, what is different between then and now? Who's trying to push "their laws" on us? There are criminal gangs now, but there were then: Irish, East European, Jewish, Russian, Italian....poverty breeds criminality.

The first generation did little, I will grant you. However they insisted that the younger ones learn the language and adapt to the American ways.

Not necessarily. Many times it was the second generation that took it upon itself to cross the cultural divides. The parents might have clung to old country ways and traditions, but the younger ones went to American schools and picked up the culture very quickly - they can't help it. Kids learn, and want to fit in. They often become the bridge between the older generation and the American culture. It's no different than today.

That's pretty much what I said i think:biggrin: That is not happening with the more recent immigrants however. Now the various groups stay to themselves and try like hell to ignore American culture, they do have their hands out though.

I'm just not so sure about that :) For example, prior to Obama's "Dreamer" legislation, NPR did an extensive series on the children of illegal immigrants, either American born or that came to America at a young age. They were articulate, as American in culture and values as you or I, and were working very hard for a future that was better than their parents endured. Many were going through hardship trying to get a college education. That was illegals, I doubt there is much difference between illegals and legals in that regard.

I think it's a bit of a myth that they come here to get welfare. Multiple studies have shown that immigrants are less likely collect benefits then native born Americans and work harder for their "American Dream". Perhaps because they see immigration as a valued opportunity to better their lives, and arrive with no sense of entitlement.

Poor Immigrants Use Public Benefits at a Lower Rate than Poor Native-Born Citizens
Evidence Shows Immigrants Come to Work, Not to Collect Welfare

The only place that I have seen Hispanics actually trying to integrate is in the Catholic schools where I give science lectures. There there is indeed a concerted effort to assimilate. But even there I learned that they only attend a Hispanic Mass when they are with their families. Only when they are in school do they attend multiracial religious services.

We went to the State Fair down in Carson and once again, the Hispanics kept to themselves and avoided contact with whites, and blacks, wherever possible. Nevada is a very welcoming State for the most part, we welcome almost anybody! So it is sad to see people not take advantage of that.

Not really.

The first generation did not always assimilate so well. They had their own communities, even their own language papers and stores - Yiddish, Italian, Russian, Chinese - you heard of China Town and Little Italy. Typically, the second generation picked up the good language skills and the culture. They maintained many aspects of their own culture that in turn enriched ours. Each succeeding generation became more "American" - then, and now.

In terms of breaking the law...well, what is different between then and now? Who's trying to push "their laws" on us? There are criminal gangs now, but there were then: Irish, East European, Jewish, Russian, Italian....poverty breeds criminality.

The first generation did little, I will grant you. However they insisted that the younger ones learn the language and adapt to the American ways.

Not necessarily. Many times it was the second generation that took it upon itself to cross the cultural divides. The parents might have clung to old country ways and traditions, but the younger ones went to American schools and picked up the culture very quickly - they can't help it. Kids learn, and want to fit in. They often become the bridge between the older generation and the American culture. It's no different than today.

I'm just not so sure about that :) For example, prior to Obama's "Dreamer" legislation, NPR did an extensive series on the children of illegal immigrants, either American born or that came to America at a young age. They were articulate, as American in culture and values as you or I, and were working very hard for a future that was better than their parents endured. Many were going through hardship trying to get a college education. That was illegals, I doubt there is much difference between illegals and legals in that regard.

I think it's a bit of a myth that they come here to get welfare. Multiple studies have shown that immigrants are less likely collect benefits then native born Americans and work harder for their "American Dream". Perhaps because they see immigration as a valued opportunity to better their lives, and arrive with no sense of entitlement.

Poor Immigrants Use Public Benefits at a Lower Rate than Poor Native-Born Citizens

The only place that I have seen Hispanics actually trying to integrate is in the Catholic schools where I give science lectures. There there is indeed a concerted effort to assimilate. But even there I learned that they only attend a Hispanic Mass when they are with their families. Only when they are in school do they attend multiracial religious services.

We went to the State Fair down in Carson and once again, the Hispanics kept to themselves and avoided contact with whites, and blacks, wherever possible. Nevada is a very welcoming State for the most part, we welcome almost anybody! So it is sad to see people not take advantage of that.

I'm not sure that is different than other immigrant groups throughout history - they tended to migrate to or settle in their own enclaves. In WV, we have a town Helvetia where a large number of Swiss immigrants settled. Over time, people move away, integrate, etc.

Not really.

what are we calling "HISPANICS" ? first generation families? ----I mean mom was BORN over there?

I'm not sure that is different than other immigrant groups throughout history - they tended to migrate to or settle in their own enclaves. In WV, we have a town Helvetia where a large number of Swiss immigrants settled. Over time, people move away, integrate, etc.

Yes, there is a German town in Texas where they still primarily speak German and have for well over 100 years. There are other examples as well but that is not the normal American way which is honor your home culture, but embrace ours as well.

what are we calling "HISPANICS" ? first generation families? ----I mean mom was BORN over there?

I am talking about the Hispanic families that have moved here from Mexico and California, the majority of which are illegal. This State though, like most western States, gives tremendous amounts of aid, and cash to help them.

I'm not sure Trump will be the one. But corporatism is laying the seedbed, and fascism is festering in the undergrowth.

And yet THEY DID see a problem with that and used the same BS reasons many are using now.

You libtards are such liars.

The arguments against ILLEGAL immigration is varied, but the primary points are
1) the criminals that come in,
2) the loss of control of our borders to the point we cant keep out terrorists either,
3) the drain on our welfare system is huge,
4) the illegals undercut wage scales and the tax base as a result and this hurts government revenues.

Back then libtards like you endorsed eugenics, like Margret Sanger did, and it was leftists that were the predominant racist of the time, much like today, only you libtards now are patronizing racists not hostile racists.

So there are no similarities whatsoever, douchebag.

^^LOL Nice try to bad that the rhetoric matches or else someone would believe you and your bottle of explain away

I'm not sure Trump will be the one. But corporatism is laying the seedbed, and fascism is festering in the undergrowth.

Deporting people to their homes is hardly fascism.

Try to be less dishonest and hysterical.

Are the clown faced lefties going to use that tired old Ellis Island argument? It might work on the ignorant leftie base but it's a bogus issue. How many people crossed the southern border illegally during the first "four years Ellis Island was operational"? The U.S. had mounted Cavalry along the border with orders to shoot bandits and trespassers.

Sound familiar?

I didn't realize Trump was that old

Forum List

Back