🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

An Argument for The Second Amendment

Fact-

Only 201 defensive uses of guns recorded by the FBI in 2010.

In that same year, there were 11,000 gun homicides, 16,000 gun suicides and 851 gun accidents.

You don't need a gun. Your reasons for wanting them are silly.

"According to the National Self Defense Survey conducted by Florida State University criminologists in 1994, the rate of Defensive Gun Uses can be projected nationwide to approximately 2.5 million per year -- one Defensive Gun Use every 13 seconds.

In 91.7% of these incidents the defensive use of a gun did not wound or kill the criminal attacker (and the gun defense wouldn't be called "newsworthy" by newspaper or TV news editors). In 64.2% of these gun-defense cases, the police learned of the defense, which means that the media could also find out and report on them if they chose to."
Source: "Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun," by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, in The Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology, Northwestern University School of Law, Volume 86, Number 1, Fall,

[

Why do gun control advocates feel the need to twist the truth to make their points?

Estimates over the number of defensive gun uses vary wildly, depending on the study's population, criteria, time-period studied, and other factors.

Higher end estimates by Kleck and Gertz show between 1 to 2.5 million DGUs in the United States each year.
]​

The Kleck study was so horribly flawed it's laughable.

The Contradictions of the Kleck Study

Kleck’s survey also included gun uses against animals and did not distinguish civilian uses from military of police uses. Kleck’s Interviewers do not appear to have questioned a random individual at a given telephone number, but rather asked to speak to the male head of the household. Males from the South and West were oversampled. The results imply that many hundreds of thousands of murders should have been occurring when a private gun was not available for protection. Yet guns are rarely carried, less than a third of adult Americans personally own guns, and only 27,000 homicides occurred in 1992.

But wait, there's more.

Consider the responses to a national random-digit-dial telephone survey of over 1,500 adults conducted in May 1994 by ABC News and the Washington Post. One question asked: "Have you yourself ever seen anything that you believe was a spacecraft from another planet?" 10% of respondents answered in the affirmative. These 150 individuals were then asked, "Have you personally ever been in contact with aliens from another planet or not?" and 6% answered "Yes."

By extrapolating to the national population, we might conclude that almost 20 million Americans have seen spacecraft from another planet, and over a million have been in personal contact with aliens from other planets. That more than a million Americans had contact with aliens would be incredible news—but not the kind actively publicized by reputable scientists. Yet the ABC News/Washington Post data on aliens are as good as or better than that from any of the thirteen surveys cited by K-G as supporting their conclusions about self-defense gun use

Snake oil doesn't count, junior.

My point exactly. YOu can tell the nutty ones just by looking at them... YOu being a case in point.

I don't need snake oil or ditch-weed-quality pot, so I don't need anything you might be selling, junior.

You are the one who said you worked at a garage where they intentionally broke cars to charge people for repairing them. And they fired you when you couldn't get that right.

Fact-

In that same year, there were 11,000 gun homicides, 16,000 gun suicides and 851 gun accidents.

"According to the National Self Defense Survey conducted by Florida State University criminologists in 1994, the rate of Defensive Gun Uses can be projected nationwide to approximately 2.5 million per year -- one Defensive Gun Use every 13 seconds.

This was Kleck, Kleck was an NRA shill that was full of shit.

Point is, I'll take the FBI figures that only 201 justifiable homicides happen a year.

compared to 31,000 gun murders, suicides and accidents...

My point exactly. YOu can tell the nutty ones just by looking at them... YOu being a case in point.

I don't need snake oil or ditch-weed-quality pot, so I don't need anything you might be selling, junior.

You are the one who said you worked at a garage where they intentionally broke cars to charge people for repairing them. And they fired you when you couldn't get that right.

No, I didn't say that. That's one of the voices in your head again.

Fact-

I think I will decide for myself what I do or do not need. You are free to do the same. So long as I am not forcing you to own a gun, it is none of your business if I do.

Fact-

I think I will decide for myself what I do or do not need. You are free to do the same. So long as I am not forcing you to own a gun, it is none of your business if I do.

So you don't mind if I own a meth lab, then?

How about vials of anthrax?

Fact-

That's the best argument you can come up with? You want to equate my having a pistol with a meth lab?

That's the best argument you can come up with? You want to equate my having a pistol with a meth lab?

Guns kill 31,000 Americans a year. More people than Meth kills.

I'd have no problem with your guns if you guys were just whacking each other. It's all the kids and innocent bystanders that die in the crossfire that disturbs me.

Guns kill 31,000 Americans a year. More people than Meth kills.

I'd have no problem with your guns if you guys were just whacking each other. It's all the kids and innocent bystanders that die in the crossfire that disturbs me.

There are a lot of things which kill more than meth kills. My problem with your owning a meth lab isn't the meth, it's quality control and taxation.

I've owned guns for just about a half century and I have yet to kill anyone or even injure anyone with them. When that changes you have a point. Until then, I can't say that I care what disturbs you. You are free to be disturbed by anything you please.

[

There are a lot of things which kill more than meth kills. My problem with your owning a meth lab isn't the meth, it's quality control and taxation.

I've owned guns for just about a half century and I have yet to kill anyone or even injure anyone with them. When that changes you have a point. Until then, I can't say that I care what disturbs you. You are free to be disturbed by anything you please.

I've known a few people who've buried family members with that gun they bought for "protection".

So what do you do if the country votes to ban private gun ownership?

[

I've known a few people who've buried family members with that gun they bought for "protection".

So what do you do if the country votes to ban private gun ownership?

I've known people who have buried family members because of a car they bought for transportation. You pays your dollar, you takes your chance. No one is forcing anyone to take that chance. I also take part in some extreme diving in which personal friends of mine have died, but I continue to take that chance. I will make that decision for myself and I neither desire nor require you making it for me. I am not looking to live in a perfectly safe world. I prefer a free one.

If the US repeals the 2nd amendment and bans guns, then I will comply with the law. I don't see that happening though.

[

I've known people who have buried family members because of a car they bought for transportation. You pays your dollar, you takes your chance. No one is forcing anyone to take that chance. I also take part in some extreme diving in which personal friends of mine have died, but I continue to take that chance. I will make that decision for myself and I neither desire nor require you making it for me. I am not looking to live in a perfectly safe world. I prefer a free one.

If the US repeals the 2nd amendment and bans guns, then I will comply with the law. I don't see that happening though.

They don't have to "repeal" it. Just interpret it properly.

Well Regulated Militias.

Done.

[

Well Regulated Militias.

Done.

I can never understand why people have so much difficulty with grasping the concept of the sentence. On the one side there are those who think only the first half of the sentence counts and the other side those who think only the second half counts. However, let me assure you that the entire sentence counts. The SC also assures you of that.

While the states, and the feds to an extent, have the ability to regulate - the right to keep and bear arms on the part of the people shall not be infringed. So if you want to ban guns, you have to repeal the 2nd. Not just pretend the second half of the sentence does not exist.

[

Well Regulated Militias.

Done.

I can never understand why people have so much difficulty with grasping the concept of the sentence. On the one side there are those who think only the first half of the sentence counts and the other side those who think only the second half counts. However, let me assure you that the entire sentence counts. The SC also assures you of that.

While the states, and the feds to an extent, have the ability to regulate - the right to keep and bear arms on the part of the people shall not be infringed. So if you want to ban guns, you have to repeal the 2nd. Not just pretend the second half of the sentence does not exist.

Okay. then we regulate.

Pretty much all kinds of guns are banned, and you have to be a qualified member of the militia to have one at all. Just show up at your National Guard Armory and sign up.

Done.

Man, this was easy. Thanks, guy.

Forum List

Back