An experiment in forum perception

Darkwind

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2009
The discussion will center around free speech vs hate speech.

Here is the impetus for the discussion. I will not lead up to the discussion with My thoughts because this is an experiment on YOUR thoughts.

Go....

The discussion will center around free speech vs hate speech.

Here is the impetus for the discussion. I will not lead up to the discussion with My thoughts because this is an experiment on YOUR thoughts.

Go....

I like that guy. Smart.

"Hate speech" designations are a means to limit free speech. Nothing more.

What if hate speech drives people to action? :dunno:
Fighting words - inciting a riot - it's covered.

Yup. And there's that fuzzy area between free speech and action where hate speech lies.

Personally - I think it's best to keep it in the open, exposed to sunlight where it can be refuted - in the open. Otherwise it will fester and grow, and it's believers will feel legitimized as "victims".

Speech that incites violent harm to others...

... should not enjoy free and protected status.
Why? There is no need to protect popular speech. Who gets to determine which speech incites?

The people performing the actions are liable for their behavior, not the speaker.
That depends.

If I tell you as a hungry adult to steal a candy bar, am I liable for the theft?
Potentially. Same if you tell me to jump off a bridge (without the bungee cord).

Go jump off a bridge.

The people performing the actions are liable for their behavior, not the speaker.
That depends.

If I tell you as a hungry adult to steal a candy bar, am I liable for the theft?
Potentially. Same if you tell me to jump off a bridge (without the bungee cord).

Go jump off a bridge.
I have (in New Zealand).

Forum List

Back