An experiment in forum perception

The people performing the actions are liable for their behavior, not the speaker.
That depends.

If I tell you as a hungry adult to steal a candy bar, am I liable for the theft?
Potentially. Same if you tell me to jump off a bridge (without the bungee cord).

Go jump off a bridge.
I have (in New Zealand).

Without the bungee cord.

Speech that incites violent harm to others...

... should not enjoy free and protected status.

I disagree. People of age are responsible for their own behavior.
People are, but not mobs. They can be criminally incited by just one individual (even if that person takes no actions).

Mobs are comprised of individuals, each responsible for their own behavior.
Not when it's a mob. That's group-think and why we have laws against inciting one.

Why? There is no need to protect popular speech. Who gets to determine which speech incites?
The courts - of course.
The courts get it wrong often. However, what good does it do society if we can limit speech by simply disagreeing with it?
Speech is always limited. We have a society - not anarchy.

People are, but not mobs. They can be criminally incited by just one individual (even if that person takes no actions).

Not when it's a mob. That's group-think and why we have laws against inciting one.

When has a mob been charged with a crime? Show me.

Why? There is no need to protect popular speech. Who gets to determine which speech incites?
The courts - of course.
The courts get it wrong often. However, what good does it do society if we can limit speech by simply disagreeing with it?

Yes, a society where the federal government cannot legally limit speech.

The courts - of course.
Did you watch the video?

Speech is not always limited. By your own account, I can silence speech I don't like by just getting a group of like-minded people together and cause trouble and then claim so and so's speech made Me do it.

We charge a mob as individuals - we also charge (often enough) the person or persons who wound them up.

The courts - of course.
Did you watch the video?

Speech is not always limited. By your own account, I can silence speech I don't like by just getting a group of like-minded people together and cause trouble and then claim so and so's speech made Me do it.
Why would I watch the video? I support free speech - period.

What if hate speech drives people to action? :dunno:

The people performing the actions are liable for their behavior, not the speaker.

Of course they are.

And so are the ones who incite them in come cases.

The courts - of course.

The hell it can't. There are all kinds of limits, starting with slander and libel.

The courts - of course.
Did you watch the video?

You just said you didn't. Make up your mind.

The courts - of course.
Did you watch the video?

I support free speech, it's also limited. Are you unable to keep two thoughts in your head at the same time?

We charge a mob as individuals

Bingo.

we also charge (often enough) the person or persons who wound them up.

Per the 1st, illegal. Read the damned thing. Don't call upon precedent or case law. Neither changes the Constitution.

Actually....in a biological sense...mobs are an interesting phenomenum. They take on a life of their own and drive people to act in ways they never would as individuals. Kind of like dog packs.

But you are right - individuals are responsible for their own behavior - and that would include the individuals doing the inciting in some cases.

Billy K. wrote: Mobs are comprised of individuals, each responsible for their own behavior.

Sounds good in theory...

... rarely works out that way in practice, though.

Remember the Neuremburg Trials?

If I tell you as a hungry adult to steal a candy bar, am I liable for the theft?

Yes, under conspiracy laws.

Last edited:
Did you watch the video?

I support free speech, it's also limited. Are you unable to keep two thoughts in your head at the same time?
If you're going to get insulting, I'll ask a mod to remove you.

Speech is limited by who? Who determines speech limitations? You said the Courts, but the courts can only rule on limitations based upon existing laws.

Who gets to write which speech is hate speech and which speech is not? Whose standard do we use?

Either you believe that the First Amendment protects unpopular speech or you don't.

The courts - of course.

None of our rights are unlimited, including free speech. To use an overused example you can not yell "fire" in a crowded theatre.

Actually....in a biological sense...mobs are an interesting phenomenum. They take on a life of their own and drive people to act in ways they never would as individuals. Kind of like dog packs.

But you are right - individuals are responsible for their own behavior - and that would include the individuals doing the inciting in some cases.
So, what speech is considered incitement?

The courts - of course.

The hell it can't. There are all kinds of limits, starting with slander and libel.

That is not limiting speech. That is punishing slander and liable, which are criminal behavior.

Forum List

Back