Anatomical ballistic gel tests.... 9mm vs. .45

as with many weapons, the training is usually more important for effectiveness. Won't be effective unless you hit the target

shooting human shaped gel targets to test bullet effectiveness...

I liked that guy. Good demo, up and down the board. I'm a 9mm guy. The 9mm spear gold dot was the best performance for my thinking, with good fragmentation and transfer of power and effect, while remaining inside the target. That buffalo 45 was just too much and exited, a danger to unintended and of course not transferring all power to the target with that pass through.

shooting human shaped gel targets to test bullet effectiveness...

I guarantee this debate is far from over, there's too many people out there who will never give up their "bigger is better" attitudes. I run into them all the time.

I liked that guy. Good demo, up and down the board. I'm a 9mm guy. The 9mm spear gold dot was the best performance for my thinking, with good fragmentation and transfer of power and effect, while remaining inside the target. That buffalo 45 was just too much and exited, a danger to unintended and of course not transferring all power to the target with that pass through.
He's one of the few I watch from time to time.

I guarantee this debate is far from over, there's too many people out there who will never give up their "bigger is better" attitudes. I run into them all the time.

I'm one of them. Two things stop a bad from fighting on, blood loss and nerve damage. The bigger the hole, the more of both.

True. The more powerful .45 ammunition that passed through, just seems irresponsible, to me. If a "good Samaritan" had to shoot an armed hold up attacker at a convenience store, that high power round might cause the Samaritan to hesitate further risking his own life or consider the clerk behind the counter forfeit to take the shot. Neither being good options and when the cops come if you've killed the clerk on pass through, you probably will not sleep in your own bed that night. These are normal considerations, considerations you would not have to process if using ammo intended to expend all power within the target, in a very fast situation.

I'm one of them. Two things stop a bad from fighting on, blood loss and nerve damage. The bigger the hole, the more of both.
Yes it can, depending on placement etc. I don't begrudge the bigger is better crowd their choices in caliber, it's when they get pompous about it that's the problem.

Bigger is better will often knock the assailant on their ass. You don't want them upright still in a position to shoot you. However, a 9mm is plenty strong enough to deal with most situations, unless the person is coked or methed out of their minds and doesn't feel anything. Then you want a 12 gauge or my trusty .41 mag to put them down for good. :D

Yes it can, depending on placement etc. I don't begrudge the bigger is better crowd their choices in caliber, it's when they get pompous about it that's the problem.

Shot placement is ALWAYS the most important aspect. Hit a guy in the fleshy part of the thigh with a 40mm AP round and the man fights on.

Hit him between the running lights with a .22LR and the fight is almost always over.

Don't have a 9mm but I'm considering getting one so the Wife can shoot with me,and who doesnt want another pistol?
She hates the recoil on my .45
Even with the manageable recoil of the FNX and the weight of it she still doesnt like it.
She asked about a .22 and I told Her she needs to get used to something with a bit more power.

Don't have a 9mm but I'm considering getting one so the Wife can shoot with me,and who doesnt want another pistol?
She hates the recoil on my .45
Even with the manageable recoil of the FNX and the weight of it she still doesnt like it.
She asked about a .22 and I told Her she needs to get used to something with a bit more power.
She could really piss somebody off with a .22 and them have time to hurt her. You are giving her good counsel, though, after shooting .45 all my professional life, I prefer the 9mm.

I don't begrudge the bigger is better crowd their choices in caliber, it's when they get pompous about it that's the problem.

Bigger IS Better ...

DavyCrockettBomb.jpg

as with many weapons, the training is usually more important for effectiveness. Won't be effective unless you hit the target
Shooting a hand cannon is much more likely to stop the target, but the shot is less likely to hit said target if the operator is preparing for a huge wrist-breaking blast.

Forum List

Back