And These People Can Vote

Government lottery.
A tax on the poor they are fully willing to pay. Biggest sucker bet on the planet.
Yet, I can't play real poker on line. Can't have the government lose its monopoly.

What comes from no longer teaching Aesop.

Sixty percent of millennials think winning the lottery is a reasonable retirement plan, and 18% of all those surveyed are basing their retirement plans on hope of hitting the jackpot someday.

Why millennials would rather buy lottery tickets than invest in the stock market

The lottery has always been a tax on people bad at math. That being said I play weekly, as it gives me my $26 per week fix of "action".

What it is not for me is a retirement plan. That's what my $400k 401k at age 44 is for.

Well I have a retirement plan but still play the Powerball, the Megamillions and the State Lottery. Who knows? I just might win and retire early.

Of course I'm not holding my breath. LOL

Sixty percent of millennials think winning the lottery is a reasonable retirement plan, and 18% of all those surveyed are basing their retirement plans on hope of hitting the jackpot someday.

Why millennials would rather buy lottery tickets than invest in the stock market

Why focus on the millennials and ignore this part of the article...

Americans in general are not saving enough for retirement: The average person has just $85,000 saved for retirement, and one third of people have less than $5,000 saved, according to a survey by Northwestern Mutual.

Americans in general are not saving enough for retirement: The average person has just $85,000 saved for retirement, and one third of people have less than $5,000 saved, according to a survey by Northwestern Mutual.

Does the study consider pensions "Savings"?

If you get a pension the saving is being done for you, but I wonder if that counts in this study.

A 401k is savings, because it's owned by the person in question.

Because Americans in general aren't stupid enough to count on lottery winnings as a retirement strategy.

If you get a pension the saving is being done for you, but I wonder if that counts in this study.

That is a good question, looking at the study itself it does not seem they asked about that. Pensions are rare these days unless you work for the government. One study I found said only 23% of private employees have a pension plan.

Because Americans in general aren't stupid enough to count on lottery winnings as a retirement strategy.

But they are stupid enough not to save for retirement according to your link.

That is a good question, looking at the study itself it does not seem they asked about that. Pensions are rare these days unless you work for the government. One study I found said only 23% of private employees have a pension plan.

But it would be enough to skew the numbers.

There are a lot of people working for the government, and then when you add the quasi-governmental agencies like the New york MTA, the NY/NJ port authority, and other such things, the number probably increases significantly.

Most private sector pensions remaining can be found in the trades, where the unions run them, not the construction companies.

To me that was always the better model.

Your tangential deflection is quite weak. The subject was Millennials and their fantastical, childish expectations.

Your tangential deflection is quite weak. The subject was Millennials and their fantastical, childish expectations.

You always let your biases lead you around by the nose, and it is fun to watch.

Millennials have plenty of time to come around, they are young. When I was 35 I did not have a single dollar saved for retirement and here just 20 years later I could retire today and be ok, but want far more than ok so I will work for another decade or so.

Millennials have plenty of time to come around, they are young. When I was 35 I did not have a single dollar saved for retirement and here just 20 years later I could retire today and be ok, but want far more than ok so I will work for another decade or so.

No bias here. Read the fucking article.

Too bad. At 35 I had double income and a significant portfolio. I'm 66. "Retired" 18 years ago when I changed to a self-motivated career. I remain self-employed, from which I pay my salary. Dividends are reinvested, SS and pension go to the entertainment fund.

No bias here. Read the fucking article.

I read the article, you choose to ignore half of it due to your bias.

Too bad. At 35 I had double income and a significant portfolio. I'm 66. "Retired" 18 years ago when I changed to a self-motivated career. I remain self-employed, from which I pay my salary. Dividends are reinvested, SS and pension go to the entertainment fund.

That is awesome, I am happy for you.

Though I was not complaining. I was pointing out that not having retirement plans when you are 25 is not the end of the world as you seem to think.

I have lived my life as I have chosen to. At 35 I was still serving my country and was the head of a single income family of four.

I love my current job, it pays extremely well and has flexible work hours so I can get in all the golf I want.
I still have a child at home so full retirement now would be a bit premature.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I'm 64 and have been retired since late January 2017. In my younger days I wasn't serious about investing either. I dabbled in the market and had more success than failure but still considered it mostly a matter of luck considering my lack of knowledge and interest. So mainly I stayed on the sidelines as far as the market goes. What saved my rear was not carrying any debt other than a mortgage and I paid that off as quickly as I could. Plus I always had a good income and so was able to make it on low risk investments which I was able to understand and was comfortable with. For any of you millennials what you have going for you is time.
Are We in a Baby Boomer Retirement Crisis?

I'm 64 and have been retired since late January 2017. In my younger days I wasn't serious about investing either. I dabbled in the market and had more success than failure but still considered it mostly a matter of luck considering my lack of knowledge and interest. So mainly I stayed on the sidelines as far as the market goes. What saved my rear was not carrying any debt other than a mortgage and I paid that off as quickly as I could. Plus I always had a good income and so was able to make it on low risk investments which I was able to understand and was comfortable with. For any of you millennials what you have going for you is time.
Are We in a Baby Boomer Retirement Crisis?

Thanks for the link, it supports the point I was trying to make.

While it is fun and all to make fun of the younger generation, all older generations do it, we baby boomers have been historically bad at preparing for retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Forum List

Back