Another cop accidentally shoots himself

Off-duty cop out mistakenly shoots himself in elevator while adjusting his belt after returning from a dinner date with his wife
  • Officer Darryl Jouett of the Erlanger, Kentucky, PD was headed back to his car when he tried to adjust his department-issued weapon in his holster
  • The gun fired; a bullet ricocheted off the elevator walls and struck him
  • Jouett was taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center with non life-threatening injuries
  • It is unclear if he had the gun safety on
By Associated Press

Published: 14:14 EST, 4 January 2015 | Updated: 17:37 EST, 4 January 2015
An off-duty police officer out to dinner with his wife in Cincinnati accidentally shot himself in the stomach inside a parking garage elevator.

Cincinnati police say Officer Darryl Jouett of the Erlanger, Kentucky, Police Department had just finished dinner with his wife Saturday night and was heading back to his car.

He tried to adjust his department-issued weapon in his holster — and it discharged.

The bullet ricocheted off the elevator walls and struck him in the stomach, police says

Read more: Off-duty cop out mistakenly shoots himself in elevator while adjusting his belt after returning from a dinner date with his wife Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

If supposedly well trained cops can't control their weapons, why are we surprised when civilians can't either?

Because that is a false premise. Cops are not well trained. A typical CC holder is actually FAR better trained than any police officer.

You really should look at the training requirements for those wonderful police. Your false assumptions are really leading to a lot of false conclusions. Tangential to this, military members are not well trained either for the most part. the government does a piss poor job at ensuring proficiency.

Can you back that up? For most states it seems pretty easy to get a carry license. To claim far better trained seems extremely unlikely.
I don't think an actual study has been done on how often people fire their weapons who also have a concealed carry. I do know that without fail, every single person I have ever met with a concealed carry permit fires more often than I do and I am active duty military. Every single one has also fired more often than the police are required to as well. However, that does not mean that police do not take it upon themselves to fire more than qualification requirements. I know a fair number of people that carry as well because of the area I currently live in.

I don't know anyone that is willing to put a weapon in a holster and walk around with it without being comfortable with that firearm. I am positive there are people like that out there but the average person that gets a concealed carry, from my experience, is a LOT more competent than government requirements for police or even military.

There was a study done by Force Science Institute that showed criminals practiced a LOT more than cops (I believe around 10 times as much) but I cant find the original paper - just a few random mentions of it. Of course, the quality if practice might have been quite different :D You also cannot compile complete date here because the government DOES NOT REPORT how many innocent bystanders the police kill. I guess they don't want that data revealed. It is equally hard to find put how many innocent bystanders are killed by concealed carry holders.

I dont think you can make your claim based on that. While some might, there are no requirements for concealed carry. And there are quite a few of them shooting themselves or others accidently each year so there are for sure some bad apples. So you cannot claim they are far better trained than police without more info.

I dont think you can make your claim based on that. While some might, there are no requirements for concealed carry. And there are quite a few of them shooting themselves or others accidently each year so there are for sure some bad apples. So you cannot claim they are far better trained than police without more info.
And, equally, you cannot claim that the cops are better trained either so the OP's point is false under that reasoning.

YOU cant claim they are better trained. I will go with what I know unless actual data refutes it. It is the best any of us can do. I don't really expect you to take my experiences and agree with them but you certainly should go out there and take a look yourself.

And, equally, you cannot claim that the cops are better trained either so the OP's point is false under that reasoning.

YOU cant claim they are better trained. I will go with what I know unless actual data refutes it. It is the best any of us can do. I don't really expect you to take my experiences and agree with them but you certainly should go out there and take a look yourself.

I'm not prepared to make that claim, but they do have required training that concealed carry people do not. Your experience is not that important as you don't know a significant percent of carry holders. Do you know any who have shot themselves? Cause I've seen many examples in the news. Many police and carry holders accidently shoot themselves or others. So carrying is dangerous.

The only reason I don't put Luddley on ignore is that she is a constant reminder of how utterly stupid rabid left wingers are.

How many cops are there in this country alone you moron? All of them are carrying loaded weapons. There are bound to be mistakes made.

Just exactly how stupid are you anyway?

How is this "anti-cop" or "anti-gun"? How does it show that I don't care about cops being shot?

Hell, this guy is a cop and he was shot.

Why you folx care about HIM??

Huh??

Last edited:

I'm not prepared to make that claim, but they do have required training that concealed carry people do not. Your experience is not that important as you don't know a significant percent of carry holders. Do you know any who have shot themselves? Cause I've seen many examples in the news. Many police and carry holders accidently shoot themselves or others. So carrying is dangerous.
Then walking outside your house is 'dangerous.'

Under that same argument, driving a car is dangerous, skiing is dangerous and almost every single hobby is dangerous. Carrying is not inherently dangerous anymore than any of those other activities. Carrying idiotically is dangerous (like putting your weapon in your purse). The VAST majority of people (cops, military and CC) do not shoot themselves.

Then walking outside your house is 'dangerous.'

Under that same argument, driving a car is dangerous, skiing is dangerous and almost every single hobby is dangerous. Carrying is not inherently dangerous anymore than any of those other activities. Carrying idiotically is dangerous (like putting your weapon in your purse). The VAST majority of people (cops, military and CC) do not shoot themselves.

Yes driving is dangerous. You need to be very alert. This is why there are so many laws involved with driving. Many hobbies are far less dangerous than guns. Walking out of your house with a gun seems to be more dangerous than without.

How is this "anti-cop" or "anti-gun"? How does it show that I don't care about cops being shot?

Hell, this guy is a cop and he was shot.

Why you folx care about HIM??

Huh??
Not anti gun?

Why bother lying about your pretense in starting this thread:
If supposedly well trained cops can't control their weapons, why are we surprised when civilians can't either?
You placed it right there in the OP.

hmmmm....6-700 accidental gun deaths a year....vs.......over 310 million people and at least 11 million people with concealed carry permits....

wow....not concerned.......

Off-duty cop out mistakenly shoots himself in elevator while adjusting his belt after returning from a dinner date with his wife
  • Officer Darryl Jouett of the Erlanger, Kentucky, PD was headed back to his car when he tried to adjust his department-issued weapon in his holster
  • Jouett was taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center with non life-threatening injuries
By Associated Press

An off-duty police officer out to dinner with his wife in Cincinnati accidentally shot himself in the stomach inside a parking garage elevator.

Cincinnati police say Officer Darryl Jouett of the Erlanger, Kentucky, Police Department had just finished dinner with his wife Saturday night and was heading back to his car.

He tried to adjust his department-issued weapon in his holster — and it discharged.

The bullet ricocheted off the elevator walls and struck him in the stomach, police says

Read more: Off-duty cop out mistakenly shoots himself in elevator while adjusting his belt after returning from a dinner date with his wife Daily Mail Online

Excuse me....I was wrong...it is 11.1 million concealed carry permit holders.........and they are so safe, we only have 6-700 accidental gun deaths each year......something to be applauded...don't you think....?

Wow....look at all the accidental drowning deaths.....how can we allow civilians to go in the water...at all.....we need to start right now and construct a wall on all U.S. land bordered by water.....yes, the Pacific and the Atlantic oceans as well as the Gulf of Mexico....

CDC - Water-Related Injuries Facts - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

How big is the problem?
  • From 2005-2009, there were an average of 3,533 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) annually in the United States — about ten deaths per day. An additional 347 people died each year from drowning in boating-related incidents.2
  • About one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger.2 For every child who dies from drowning, another five receive emergency department care for nonfatal submersion injuries.1
  • More than 50% of drowning victims treated in emergency departments (EDs) require hospitalization or transfer for further care (compared with a hospitalization rate of about 6% for all unintentional injuries).1,2 These nonfatal drowning injuries can cause severe brain damage that may result in long-term disabilities such as memory problems, learning disabilities, and permanent loss of basic functioning (e.g., permanent vegetative state).3,4

Of course....only the police and military should be allowed to undergo scuba training.....all pools should be registered....if not completely "banned" by the federal government.....

I mean....if luddly is upset over 6-700 accidental gun deaths a year....he must be on the ground in the fetal position just contemplating 3,533 fatal drowning accidents each year....

Right?

By Associated Press

Carrying is a dangerous game.
based on zero facts maybe.

Based on reality - no it is not.

Based on all the accidental shootings. That is reality.

No Brain, it isn't.....there are 11.1 million people with concealed carry permits today....and only 6-700 accidental gun deaths....put that on a calculator.....not even close to a problem.....drowning....now that is more of a problem.....

By Associated Press

Because that is a false premise. Cops are not well trained. A typical CC holder is actually FAR better trained than any police officer.

You really should look at the training requirements for those wonderful police. Your false assumptions are really leading to a lot of false conclusions. Tangential to this, military members are not well trained either for the most part. the government does a piss poor job at ensuring proficiency.

Can you back that up? For most states it seems pretty easy to get a carry license. To claim far better trained seems extremely unlikely.

Do you know how often cops are required to go to the range with their guns....once a year...to qualify....and some departments....the cops are self qualified each year.....When not in combat how often do the military fire their weapons.....at least once a year....maybe 2....an those are the regular combat arms....some regular peacetime military will have to let us know about the clerks, air traffic controllers, and truck drivers in the military and how often they fire their weapons....

I know this last few months...I have fired more rounds than most cops do in a lifetime.....

By Associated Press

I don't think an actual study has been done on how often people fire their weapons who also have a concealed carry. I do know that without fail, every single person I have ever met with a concealed carry permit fires more often than I do and I am active duty military. Every single one has also fired more often than the police are required to as well. However, that does not mean that police do not take it upon themselves to fire more than qualification requirements. I know a fair number of people that carry as well because of the area I currently live in.

I don't know anyone that is willing to put a weapon in a holster and walk around with it without being comfortable with that firearm. I am positive there are people like that out there but the average person that gets a concealed carry, from my experience, is a LOT more competent than government requirements for police or even military.

There was a study done by Force Science Institute that showed criminals practiced a LOT more than cops (I believe around 10 times as much) but I cant find the original paper - just a few random mentions of it. Of course, the quality if practice might have been quite different :D You also cannot compile complete date here because the government DOES NOT REPORT how many innocent bystanders the police kill. I guess they don't want that data revealed. It is equally hard to find put how many innocent bystanders are killed by concealed carry holders.

We can point out that most police are not well trained with their firearms....call up your local P.D. and ask the how often they require their officers to practice with their weapons.....

Glocks and S&W M&Ps don't have safeties.

The M&P has a safety...but the new models can be had without safeties.....
The only hint of a safety on my M&P .40 is the trigger latch...(the trigger is hinged in the middle and the lower part must be pulled back before the main trigger mechanism moves.) That is not a true safety.

Also, mine can be fired with the magazine removed. Police issue M&Ps will not fire with the magazine removed.

Forum List

Back