Antarctic Ice Breaks All Records

n_plot_hires.png

Looks like the Arctic is now the one gaining lots of ice. +2.1 % over this time last year..

Yep.. Now its growing in both hemispheres...

Anyone who can look at that graph showing over 30 years of massive ice loss and claim that the Arctic is "gaining lots of ice" is clearly quite insane.

2014's minimum Arctic sea ice extent is a bit lower than last year's minimum extent. This year ranks as the sixth lowest extent since they began satellite measurements in 1979.

n_plot_hires.png

Looks like the Arctic is now the one gaining lots of ice. +2.1 % over this time last year..

Yep.. Now its growing in both hemispheres...

Anyone who can look at that graph showing over 30 years of massive ice loss and claim that the Arctic is "gaining lots of ice" is clearly quite insane.

2014's minimum Arctic sea ice extent is a bit lower than last year's minimum extent. This year ranks as the sixth lowest extent since they began satellite measurements in 1979.

NO!

Insanity is looking at a graph of 35% increase in ice, the biggest gain on that graph and ignoring the rebound... With Antarctic 1.81 million SQ Kl of ice above the average this rebound is substantial and indicative of the cooling cycle rebounding in the Arctic mirroring the Antarctic.

Who will be inconvenienced when that area of land and oceans ice locked is repeated in the northern hemisphere?

Here is the latest NSIDC graphic of Arctic extents

n_plot_hires.png

There is no indication here of a rebound. The trend is still negative.

In the Antarctic, sea ice set a new record of 19.76 million square kilometers (BTW, Billy Bob, the abbreviation for kilometer is km, not KL). That broke the 2013 record of 19.51 million km^2 which broke the 2012 record of 19.48 million km^2. You made a statement just above here referring to a "35% increase in ice". I don't know what increase you're talking about. The increase from the 2012 maximum to the 2013 maximum was a 0.154%. The increase from 2013 to 2014 was 1.28%. Here is a graphic showing that dramatic rise:

antarctic.jpg

Here is a brief discussion from the Washington Post (not one of my regular sources, buut they'll do for this:

Washington Post said:
Why is Antarctic sea ice setting record highs in a warming world?

The behavior of Antarctic sea ice is a bit of an enigma. As I wrote last year, when Antarctic sea ice set a record high, scientists have developed numerous theories for why the ice is growing – but its dynamics remain poorly understood. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change weighed in on this complicated matter in its assessment published earlier this year:

For Antarctic sea ice extent, the shortness of the observed record and differences in simulated and observed variability preclude an assessment of whether or not the observed increase since 1979 is inconsistent with internal variability. Untangling the processes involved with trends and variability in Antarctica and surrounding waters remains complex and several studies are contradictory. In conclusion there is low confidence in the scientific understanding of the observed increase in Antarctic sea ice extent since 1979…

This lack of understanding notwithstanding, increasing Antarctic sea ice does not in any way disprove global warming. Despite the increase in winter sea ice in the Antarctic, the water in the Southern Ocean is warming while satellite measurements have shown that the Antarctic continent is – on balance – losing ice.

Whereas there is an apparent straight forward relationship between rising temperatures and loss of ice during the summer in the Arctic; warming temperatures in the Antarctic in winter (when background temperatures are really cold) simply do not have the same effect.

Data from the relatively newly-launched Cryosat satellite shows that the Antarctic continent is currently losing ice at the rate of 159 billion tons per year. That rate is up from the 2005-2010 average of roughly 100 billion tons per year. And, as we have all heard, the WAIS has been irrevocably destabilized and is in the process of crumbling into the sea. So, whatever the actual cause of the increasing Antarctic sea ice (personally, I favor accelerated glacial flow but...) it is NOT from cooling waters (the Southern Ocean is warming), it is NOT from cooling air (average air temps over Antarctica are climbing) and it is NOT representative of an overall increase in ice at the South Pole.

n_plot_hires.png

In the Antarctic, sea ice set a new record of 19.76 million square kilometers (BTW, Billy Bob, the abbreviation for kilometer is km, not KL). That broke the 2013 record of 19.51 million km^2 which broke the 2012 record of 19.48 million km^2. You made a statement just above here referring to a "35% increase in ice". I don't know what increase you're talking about. The increase from the 2012 maximum to the 2013 maximum was a 0.154%. The increase from 2013 to 2014 was 1.28%. Here is a graphic showing that dramatic rise:

antarctic.jpg

Here is a brief discussion from the Washington Post (not one of my regular sources, buut they'll do for this:

Washington Post said:

The behavior of Antarctic sea ice is a bit of an enigma. As I wrote last year, when Antarctic sea ice set a record high, scientists have developed numerous theories for why the ice is growing – but its dynamics remain poorly understood. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change weighed in on this complicated matter in its assessment published earlier this year:

For Antarctic sea ice extent, the shortness of the observed record and differences in simulated and observed variability preclude an assessment of whether or not the observed increase since 1979 is inconsistent with internal variability. Untangling the processes involved with trends and variability in Antarctica and surrounding waters remains complex and several studies are contradictory. In conclusion there is low confidence in the scientific understanding of the observed increase in Antarctic sea ice extent since 1979…

This lack of understanding notwithstanding, increasing Antarctic sea ice does not in any way disprove global warming. Despite the increase in winter sea ice in the Antarctic, the water in the Southern Ocean is warming while satellite measurements have shown that the Antarctic continent is – on balance – losing ice.

Whereas there is an apparent straight forward relationship between rising temperatures and loss of ice during the summer in the Arctic; warming temperatures in the Antarctic in winter (when background temperatures are really cold) simply do not have the same effect.

Data from the relatively newly-launched Cryosat satellite shows that the Antarctic continent is currently losing ice at the rate of 159 billion tons per year. That rate is up from the 2005-2010 average of roughly 100 billion tons per year. And, as we have all heard, the WAIS has been irrevocably destabilized and is in the process of crumbling into the sea. So, whatever the actual cause of the increasing Antarctic sea ice (personally, I favor accelerated glacial flow but...) it is NOT from cooling waters (the Southern Ocean is warming), it is NOT from cooling air (average air temps over Antarctica are climbing) and it is NOT representative of an overall increase in ice at the South Pole.

NO! a rebound is defiantly happening.. I probably should have used this source in the first place.

BPIOMASIceVolumeAnomalyCurrentV2.1.png

The mass calculations show we are well into the third year of increase.

Frank, you know the models predicted the ice growth back in 1991., It's been pointed out to your before. Yet you choose to lie and claim it was done retroactively. Lies like that are why everyone correctly classifies you as an acolyte of a liars' cult.

Back in the land of non-cultists, the fact that the AGW theories and models have been proven correct yet another time gives more confidence in AGW theory. Too bad the denier cultists don't have a similar record of success. That's mainly because they're too gutless to make any predictions. Real science, such as AGW science, makes falsifiable predictions. Pseudoscience cults like the deniers merely scream a lot and refuse to make any falsifiable predictions.

Let's see if I get how this works. The AGW people saw they predict massive ice loss for years and when the amount of ice breaks all records they say that they predicted it. And we are supposed to believe that global warming causes ice loss and then causes ice to come back again? If I believe that then all I can say is no problem. Sounds like normal climate.

Global Warming causes record high temperatures, except when it doesn't. It causes less snowfall in the winter, except when it doesn't. It causes whole species of animals to disappear, except when it doesn't. And it causes loss of Antarctic ice, except when it doesn't.

It predicted the very cold winters, fewer hurricanes, more snow, record breaking ice, and The Pause. The AGW people just chose not to tell us non-believers.

It's all perfectly honest and credible. Move along, nothing to see here.

n_plot_hires.png

antarctic.jpg

Washington Post said:

NO! a rebound is defiantly happening.. I probably should have used this source in the first place.

You keep telling yourself that. I'm sure the world's a better place when you're unconcerned with reality.

Global Warming causes record high temperatures, except when it doesn't. It causes less snowfall in the winter, except when it doesn't. It causes whole species of animals to disappear, except when it doesn't. And it causes loss of Antarctic ice, except when it doesn't.

It predicted the very cold winters, fewer hurricanes, more snow, record breaking ice, and The Pause. The AGW people just chose not to tell us non-believers.

Actually, it's quite obvious that you don't see a thing. That's what happens when you keep your eyes closed.

Actually, it's quite obvious that you don't see a thing. That's what happens when you keep your eyes closed.

I see a whole lot of bull shit.

n_plot_hires.png

antarctic.jpg

Washington Post said:

You keep telling yourself that. I'm sure the world's a better place when you're unconcerned with reality.

Ah yes, the alarmists and their disbelief in facts...

If Antarctic ice continues to grow at the present rate, it is estimated that it will connect with the southernmost tip of South America in less than 40 years.

Forum List

Back