🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Any suggestions for over the counter meds or supplements for severe back pain?

I can't work while impaired on pills
I hear you.
I have RA. In both hands, both knees, upper back and one shoulder.
I don't know what a day without pain is. I will not take the immune killing drugs. I do use ibuprofen prolly 4 out of 7 days.
Occassionaly and I mean less than once a month I use narcotics.
I am sure you have learned to ignore it to a degree. Somedays better than others.
My hands are the worst. How do you not use your hands?

Your back is weak because your ab muscles are weak. Those muscles are what holds you up. Put a sheet of plywood under your mattress between mattress and box spring.

Even if it is a 'new' injury, it's made worse from the old injury........so it's not all that simple. The issue with your back was started from the first injury, even though you may not have had any issues since.......the damage from then has probably progressed over time.

If you don't like any advice from the message board DR's, then talk with your own Dr that knows what's going on and would have the answers you're looking for
I asked for ideas on pills or ointments for my back. I didn't ask to have my internal organs diagnosed or request a life style survey to be dissected.

I have a doc offering relaxers and pain meds. I don't want to use them as they are meds that cause impairment so I asked for alternatives.
A couple people offered alternatives and others went down a pointless rabit hole

I asked for ideas on pills or ointments for my back. I didn't ask to have my internal organs diagnosed or request a life style survey to be dissected.

I have a doc offering relaxers and pain meds. I don't want to use them as they are meds that cause impairment so I asked for alternatives.
A couple people offered alternatives and others went down a pointless rabit hole
Good old fashioned Tiger Balm.

This back & hip pain is debilitating on some days. Doc has offered pain meds and surgery and both of those are out of the question. Surgery could end my career and drugs make it dangerous to work.
"Voltaren" over the counter. It worked for me, but follow the directions carefully.

Anybody ever tried (or had a friend try) one of those "Teeters" that turn you upside down and supposedly relieve back pain?

That's just it.......there really isn't a quick & easy fix......other than bandaid style........but the problem will still be there and getting worse over time.

Most of the answers here, may not be what you want to hear......but they are from individual experience. Though what works for one, may not work for another, so you'll have to find your own cure that works for you. You are looking for simple answers, but it's really not that simple. Try some of the suggestions others have given. Pain is usually from swelling, so try an ice pack and eat foods that lower inflammation. Doing a simple web search isn't going down a rabbit hole.

and a pic from something else

1643474790632.png

The point here is that any type of real fix will take time. Maybe weeks, months or even years, but can definitely help in the long run and help prevent any future occurrences. If you want a quick fix, then surgery & narcotics, but you don't want that either.

Anybody ever tried (or had a friend try) one of those "Teeters" that turn you upside down and supposedly relieve back pain?
Tried son's years ago. It helped a little. Light therapy also works in some cases. I bought a light for therapy and used it where the bones and tissue were weak and it worked. I ended up giving the light to our chiropractor and she uses it for some of her patients.

Have you tried 800 mg of ibuprofen? I don't know how much pain you are in but I hurt and that helps me, but I don't do the work you do.

I’d love to be stretched.

Like those torture chamber racks of times gone by. In the Tower of London.
I'm sure you could find a partner to help you.

I'm sure you could find a partner to help you.

All hanging upside down?

That would be a novelty.

Forum List

Back