🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Any suggestions for over the counter meds or supplements for severe back pain?

This back & hip pain is debilitating on some days. Doc has offered pain meds and surgery and both of those are out of the question. Surgery could end my career and drugs make it dangerous to work.
I use Hydrogel from Tiger Balm patches..the biggest ones..on my lower back and on my hip. COLD going on, but seems to do the trick. Back brace is another option. Advils work for me too but when its really bad, a vicodin is last resort. Also....Arnicare Cream. I use that every day on my ankles, feet, wrists, knees. That works for me, too. But every body is different. Lots of pillows on the bed, too. Make a nest with them, then lay in the middle of that nest. Being in a fetal position on your back keeps the spine curved enough for no pinched nerves.

(I have degenerate discs in my back from the rheumatoid arthritis. Sciatica is involed too. So from the waist down...its a mess in the pain department. They wanted me to do back surgery. I said hell no.)

Last edited:
I make a mix for us with DMSO, Aloe Gel, Lavender and Clove Essential Oil, a few drops of SSK and Arnica.

DMSO gel can be bought online or at most farm stores. Arnica gel can be bought at Walgreens. Good essential oils its a guess and by-golly unless you have a good supply source. Potassium Iodide crystals make your own SSK.

The problem may be that you may have an underlying issues that is actually causing your pain and you need to find competent help to help you figure out if that is the case. Kidney's Liver, Gallbladder and Bile duct issues can all cause extreme back pain; as can intestinal issues.

If it is a case of weakened bones or disk or cartilage then you need to alter your diet to improve the health of those things.

Lastly I use Comfrey. It is not recommended because it has pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs) which can and will damage the Liver if used for any length of time. I currently use it sparingly for an ulcer *which also causes severe back pain* but my Liver is actually in very good condition as I do not drink or take anything else not even aspirin or tylenol.

Black pepper or cayenne pepper will also provide a natural pain relief taken orally.
It is a WORK INJURY lol

I think it's time to just let the thread die as I just keep repeating myself.

Wasn't looking for a cure all. Just some good joint or bone supplements.

No need to go down all these rabbit holes

This back & hip pain is debilitating on some days. Doc has offered pain meds and surgery and both of those are out of the question. Surgery could end my career and drugs make it dangerous to work.
GUEST_76fa262e-b109-4735-8739-d7973ac1e1c1

It is a WORK INJURY lol

There is no "cure" it's called getting old. I just had an Abbott spinal cord stimulator installed for a test run for a week....It does stop the pain literally.

If the pain is in the lower back and across the hip area, it could be sciatica......the vertebrae in the lumbar are irritating or compressing the sciatic nerve. Though I don't know if you'd be able to do much of anything, like moving or breathing, if that were the case.. That can make you see stars.

You can try to stretch your back by leaning/bending forward and bring up your knees, or curling into fetal position as much as possible.......to open up the spaces between vertebrae.

Try laying on your back on the hard wood floor

Alternate taking aspirin and tylenol but it's not suggested for the long term as they damage the liver & kidneys and eventually you can develop hives from too much aspirin

Alternate hot & cold packs about every 15 to 20 minutes for an hour or so.

I'd also tell you to make & drink bone broth, but it's unlikely you'd do that. Though you can try store bought bone broth. Find a good quality one but it must say BONE BROTH.........so no Swansons broth or Campbells Soup, it's not the same

Look up info on foods that help or prevent swelling

It is a WORK INJURY lol

Whatever. You asked for over the counter I gave you an answer. Mine is an old injury also but the other issues is what brought the pain to the unbearable stage in recent months when it had not been inflamed for years. Ignore it all if you like I was only trying to be helpful.

Whatever. You asked for over the counter I gave you an answer. Mine is an old injury also but the other issues is what brought the pain to the unbearable stage in recent months when it had not been inflamed for years. Ignore it all if you like I was only trying to be helpful.
For the 3rd or 4th time. It is a work injury.

I was removing a very heavy concrete shower pan when I tweaked it and reinjured an old injury from 5 years ago.

Has nothing to do with anything other than my job.

I'm not trying to be rude but explaining the same things over and over is tiresome.

Other than that injury I am a very healthy person. I haven't even had a cold in years

If it's for compressed vertebrae and/or bulging disks you should ask your doctor what the best at home traction kits are.

I was removing a very heavy concrete shower pan when I tweaked it and reinjured an old injury from 5 years ago.

I'm not trying to be rude but explaining the same things over and over is tiresome.

Other than that injury I am a very healthy person. I haven't even had a cold in years
Do you have disability insurance?

What’s your bed like?

Mattresses can make all the difference.
So does using 2 firm pillows. Think about this, if you sleep on your side with one pillow, your neck is bent most of the night. That can cause bulging disks in the neck.

After stretching I get on the carpeted floor on my back, bend my knees into my chest while holding with my arms, and rock back and forth. Then I use Theracream Ultra 4 hemp oil extract CBD. It works for me. Keep mobile. 600mg Tylenol if bad. Good luck.

www.theracream.com

Even if it is a 'new' injury, it's made worse from the old injury........so it's not all that simple. The issue with your back was started from the first injury, even though you may not have had any issues since.......the damage from then has probably progressed over time.

If you don't like any advice from the message board DR's, then talk with your own Dr that knows what's going on and would have the answers you're looking for

Forum List

Back