Anyone doubt that mass shooters have mental problems? "My Ex-Boyfriend was the Dayton Shooter"

Apparently written by this guys ex-gf. I get it, she has mental problems herself, still, reading this though, tell me there weren't a dozen signs something was up and he might live out his warped reality?

Take the time to read it. I am going to guess a very high % of mass shooters, even those driven by ideology and religion; have serious mental disorders.

My Ex-Boyfriend was the Dayton Shooter

January 2019
Connor and I met in our Social Psychology class at Sinclair College. We bonded over the laughable conspiracy theories that our professor tried to preach as we walked to similar parking spots in the college parking garage. We also were very open about our mental illnesses from the very beginning. He told me that he had bipolar disorder and possibly OCD; that didn’t scare me, some of the sweetest people I know have those conditions. I told him that I have depression, generalized anxiety, and ADD. We bonded over depression humor, something that only people who have been in the throes of it really ever understand and find humorous. Joking about personal mental illnesses is one of the biggest coping tools in the mental health toolbelt.

So, when he started joking about his dark thoughts, I understood. Dark thoughts for someone with a mental illness are just a symptom that we have to learn how to manage. Joking about wanting to hurt people was just heard as, “I have uncomfortable thoughts that are inappropriate to express, but I need to joke about them otherwise they’re too scary and real.” People who do not have a mental illness do not understand this sense of humor. They take it too far. But I didn’t, so he trusted me.
I don't think there is any question that a person who shoots into a crowd is mentally ill.

I can't imagine anyone from either side of the aisle arguing with that.
Problem is that it’s not a new thing for people to have mental problems but it’s a relatively new thing for nut cases to actually act on it. Like almost exactly coinciding with the advent and expansion of social media.
The easy availability of hate and radicalization, thanks to the internet.

Just look at what some of the nut-bars here post daily

Forum List

Back