Anyone notice the lack of food drives this year?

Us folks at the Food Bank are more than willing to take your donations.

I finally found places to donate to but they were not advertising food drives. You would think they would..especially this year.

“This year is different on two key counts. The COVID-19 pandemic forced NALC to postpone the food drive for safety reasons. And the economic shutdown caused by the pandemic has increased the problem of hunger—put- ting additional pressure on food banks as many working people have lost their income and struggle to buy food even as donations decline.
Unsurprisingly, letter carriers are finding new ways to step up to meet the challenge.
To help fulfill the nutritional needs of the one in eight Americans who face food insecurity, including millions of
children, older people and military veterans, NALC has launched a virtual food drive, the Stamp Out Hunger Do- nor Drive, to raise funds for food banks nationwide”
Dollar Tree actually did a good job collecting stocking stuffers for military children and kids in foster care. They did have a pretty large toy drive. That’s about the only major retailer I saw doing it though.

Us folks at the Food Bank are more than willing to take your donations.

I finally found places to donate to but they were not advertising food drives. You would think they would..especially this year.
The big event this year has been the farmers to families program that the govt. has been running. People line up for miles to get free boxes of meat, diary, veggies and fruit boxes.

Last edited:
Anyone see any Salvation Army buckets this year?

i saw one last week just b4 christmas outside the grocery store... they usually start ringing the friday after thanksgiving, but the girl doing it said that they shortened it because of covid & fewer volunteers wanted to do it this year because of the virus. i wrote them a check, like i do every year with an extra $5 i would have given the past month.

So...where have they been? Post office usually has two or three a year especially around the Holidays. Not this year. Same for grocery stores. I have literally had to search for places that take donations both for food and toys for tots. What gives?
It's about time for the Progressive Hunger games to start I reckon, soon to wreck the economy.

Don't worry though, Trump will be blamed.

So...where have they been? Post office usually has two or three a year especially around the Holidays. Not this year. Same for grocery stores. I have literally had to search for places that take donations both for food and toys for tots. What gives?
When a poor person approaches me for a hand out, i ask who they voted for. If they say Biden, i tell them that they should go to his house and look for the handout since Biden is going to raise my taxes thus making it harder for me to be charitable to those who voted to have my taxes raised..

It's about time for the Progressive Hunger games to start I reckon, soon to wreck the economy.

Don't worry though, Trump will be blamed.
Cant wait, when people get desperate and get real hungry, they start rioting, looting and burning....Oh wait, they already are doing that, just it will be worse...

Anyone see any Salvation Army buckets this year?
The only place in my area where I've seen a Salvation Army acknowledgement is at my local Dairy Queen. Every time that I've gone in there, they have a place for people to drop off their monetary donations. I haven't been in there recently and so I don't know if they still have this.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

When a poor person approaches me for a hand out, i ask who they voted for. If they say Biden, i tell them that they should go to his house and look for the handout since Biden is going to raise my taxes thus making it harder for me to be charitable to those who voted to have my taxes raised..
Exactly why I’m getting my donations in now because for the next 4 years the democrats and the assholes that voted for them are going to have to pick up the slack.

Because they've been going on every month, not just on holidays, plus the demographics that usually give the most to real charities, blue collar types, are being strangled economically. The County here hands out boxes every month here, with lines 2 miles long. Food banks have been facing severe shortages so now they all combine resources and distribution, with the elderly and desperately poor relying on local churches and Meals On Wheels.

Because they've been going on every month, not just on holidays, plus the demographics that usually give the most to real charities, blue collar types, are being strangled economically. The County here hands out boxes every month here, with lines 2 miles long.
They haven’t been doing a good job advertising the donation drives. I haven’t seen any. It’s pretty sad when they make the public search for them when so many people are out of work.

Exactly why I’m getting my donations in now because for the next 4 years the democrats and the assholes that voted for them are going to have to pick up the slack.
The Democrats dont do anything for the poor, they want them to die, which is why they dont make it easy for people to work for themselves and have personal satisfaction..

Probably fewer volunteers willing to deal with random stuff of unknown origin. Also, the unfortunate result of many meetings being cancelled, making planning much more difficult.
But people went to the post office in droves. Lines wrapped around the building. Record lines ...longer than previous years. They could have had a box for donations so people could have dropped off a can of something or other or a toy. Just seems weird to me when so many are out of work.

That must have just been in your local area. We had MORE food drives this year than in the past.

Forum List

Back