Anyone Saying:"Oh My God,All Those Wooden Homes In Texas".What Happens To Them?

Rexx Taylor

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2015
:boohoo: :dunno: :omg: And we sure have seen the footage of all of these nicer, larger 2 and 3 story homes under water. But how badly are they damaged? Are we going to have a a few thousand homes where the upper half is fine, and the lower half is waterlogged to the point where the home has to come down?
Anyone wonder if many of these homes will be rebuilt via Cylinder Block or Concrete? and raised up 12 feet?
Good time to buy stock in those materials?
:iagree:

If they can be saved, they will be. If not, they'll be condemned.

Very few homes are structurally constructed of concrete, metal and masonry. It's nearly always more expensive, which means buyers much choose between a smaller home made from masonry/concrete or a larger home that appears to be brick, stone, etc.

In the D.C,. area, people seem (based on what I see getting built) to prefer larger homes. The result is that there are tons and tons of homes that have brick fronts and aluminum or plastic sides and back Brick all around and big (6K+ sq. ft) is "rich folk's" housing. "Regular" sized (up to ~4K sq. ft.) homes that are brick/stone all around tend to be older homes.

For the most part, only 100 year-old or older homes in D.C. have brick, masonry, or concrete structural elements. (The same is likely the case for all "European-plan" cities in the U.S....Boston, NYC, Philly, Charleston, Savannah, Richmond, Alexandria, B-more, etc.) You can sort of get a sense of what I mean from the photos below.

img_0791.jpg

bedroom-gutted.jpg

interior-2015_sm.jpg

2014-01-10_031.jpg

All the row houses pictured above will stand on their own with their brick walls. Brick clad homes, on the hand, will not. (FWIW, even in a middle unit, the neighbors have to be throwing a party to hear them carrying on. Their merely hollering about house -- calling kids, kids being rambunctious, banging your wife/girlfriend, etc. -- the neighbors can't hear that.

its gonna be a working nightmare if all of the homes are wooden,,,what a mess this project will be,,,can u imagine all of the trash?

:boohoo: :dunno: :omg: And we sure have seen the footage of all of these nicer, larger 2 and 3 story homes under water. But how badly are they damaged? Are we going to have a a few thousand homes where the upper half is fine, and the lower half is waterlogged to the point where the home has to come down?
Anyone wonder if many of these homes will be rebuilt via Cylinder Block or Concrete? and raised up 12 feet?
But then add shipping...

its gonna be a working nightmare if all of the homes are wooden,,,what a mess this project will be,,,can u imagine all of the trash?
What do you mean wooden, I don't know of any house not made of wood...Even the ones with brick facia..

What do you mean wooden, I don't know of any house not made of wood...Even the ones with brick facia..
being ive never been to texas,,,what are most modern homes made of? where over here,,,,its mostly slab/cylinder block......you think maybe 1/3d...or more of these homes are coming down? start over?

But then add shipping...
does this mean the big bad wolfe will have to move to Iowa?

Forum List

Back