Anyone Who’s Read Stephen King’s The Stand Think of Coronavirus?

The only real exposure that I have had to Steven King so far is through the film named The Langoliers and that is only because I love so much actor Bronson Pinchot who plays one of the lead characters named Mr. Toomey.

God bless you and him and Mr. King always!!!

Holly
Langoliers was a great short story.
The most recent King novel converted to a T.V. series was "Mr. Mercedes" with Brendan Gleason. It was a modest book but a terrific series.

The only real exposure that I have had to Steven King so far is through the film named The Langoliers and that is only because I love so much actor Bronson Pinchot who plays one of the lead characters named Mr. Toomey.

God bless you and him and Mr. King always!!!

Holly
Langoliers was a great short story.
The most recent King novel converted to a T.V. series was "Mr. Mercedes" with Brendan Gleason. It was a modest book but a terrific series.

I didn't read the book, but I did watch the series. Very good, and filmed right here in my back yard. It's funny, after watching a few episodes I stopped to get gas one day and my local Shell station, as I was looking around it dawned on me that the strip mall behind the station was the location for the electronics store in the show.

The precursor to The Stand was a short story he published in 1969 called Night Surf. It appeared in Ubris magazine which was published by the University of Maine. Night Surf is where you'll find the first mention of Captain Trips.

It was optioned for $1.00 and made into a short film.

There seem to be a few versions of it on YouTube, not sure if any of them are the original...

If you want to read it, a heavily revised version of it can be found in the collection of short stories published in Night Shift.

Yes, I was once a very big King fan, the he wrote Gerald's Game. what a suckfest that was. Since that book, only 1963 Has been worth reading, IMO.

King is an asshole. I stopped reading him long ago..not because he's an asshole, but because his books suck now. Last one I read that was pretty good was From A Buick 8. The Talisman and Black House both were written with Peter Straub, and weren't too bad.

Only book of his I enjoyed. Seemed plausible then, even more today.
View attachment 310961
For those of you unfamiliar with it, from wiki:

The Stand is a postapocalyptic horror/fantasynovel by American author Stephen King. It expands upon the scenario of his earlier short story "Night Surf", and presents a detailed vision of the total breakdown of society after the accidental release of a strain of influenzathat had been modified for biological warfarecauses an apocalyptic pandemic, killing off over 99% of the world's population. Published in 1978, The Stand was King's fourth novel, and remains (in its "Complete & Uncut" edition) the longest stand-alone novel King has published.

FYI- The Doc responsible for leading the effort to find a vaccination, Dr Richard Hatchett:

‘This is the most frightening disease I’ve ever encountered in my career.’

Twitter
I read it and saw the mini-series that followed. Neither were impressive. His best novel was Salem's Lot.

Only book of his I enjoyed. Seemed plausible then, even more today.
View attachment 310961
For those of you unfamiliar with it, from wiki:

The Stand is a postapocalyptic horror/fantasynovel by American author Stephen King. It expands upon the scenario of his earlier short story "Night Surf", and presents a detailed vision of the total breakdown of society after the accidental release of a strain of influenzathat had been modified for biological warfarecauses an apocalyptic pandemic, killing off over 99% of the world's population. Published in 1978, The Stand was King's fourth novel, and remains (in its "Complete & Uncut" edition) the longest stand-alone novel King has published.

FYI- The Doc responsible for leading the effort to find a vaccination, Dr Richard Hatchett:

‘This is the most frightening disease I’ve ever encountered in my career.’

Twitter
Little
More of a severe disease in the book. Actually a lot more. You heading to Vegas? He he

IT was pretty good. Not the movies (all 3). The book. It was after his car accident that he went lame in his story telling.

Forum List

Back