AOC says now is the time to 'bring the heat on Biden' to cancel student debt: 'He doesn't need Manchin's permission for that'

Sorry AOC......budget has to be passed. Cant be done through executive order.

How can someone hold her position and not know this?

Sorry AOC......budget has to be passed. Cant be done through executive order.

How can someone hold her position and not know this?

There is some doubt about whether a president can cancel all or most of the existing student debt.

With respect to student debt, Congress has written a vague provision into the Higher Education Act that gives the secretary of education some authority to grant relief to student debtors, so it isn’t clear that the sort of sweeping executive order envisioned by Senator Schumer and the activists would be illegal. But neither is it clear that it would be legal.

On that point, Frederick Hess of the American Enterprise Institute recently wrote,

There is certainly language in federal statute that gives the secretary of education the authority to “waive, or release any right, title, claim, lien, or demand, however acquired.” But it has long been understood that the purpose of that flexibility was to allow for narrow, targeted, relief in exceptional circumstances. Indeed, elsewhere in federal law, agencies are instructed to “try to collect” the debts they are owed. So, it sounds constitutionally kinda shaky, especially given the Court's current makeup.

So, the legality of an order to cancel a huge swath of student debt is doubtful and, if it were to be done, the order would be open to legal challenge. To declare debt relief that would cost the U.S. Treasury many billions of dollars is arguably just as much a violation of the president’s authority as if he were to unilaterally declare sweeping tax exemptions. Does he want to start a legal battle over this? What would the repercussions be if he lost?

The other point is the politics of it. Student debt cancellation “would disproportionately benefit affluent families, since working class and low income households are much less likely to have attended college at all, much less have borrowed heavily to attend pricey schools. Indeed, more than 40 percent of student debt was accumulated during graduate study by doctors, lawyers, and other professionals in pursuit of lucrative credentials.”

I think Biden would be smart to tell Congress that if they want student debt to be cancelled then they need to do it.

In the past I had some significant debt, but worked my way out of it. I guess I'm old fashioned, but it is my belief that if you sign your name on a document that "you" will pay a debt, you and no one else pays your debts. To me, it's the same as "giving your word" that you personally will be responsible for and pay the debt.
If I ran a company and asked a job applicant if they had the government pay of their debt, my feeling is that "their word" can't be trusted and thus not hire them. People can't be discriminated against in hiring on the issue of race, gender or, age, but all that isn't covered on the list can be a disqualifier if an employer chooses (i.e., attire, attitude, et cetera).

The funds to cancel student debt is being spent at the southern border.....

There is some doubt about whether a president can cancel all or most of the existing student debt.

With respect to student debt, Congress has written a vague provision into the Higher Education Act that gives the secretary of education some authority to grant relief to student debtors, so it isn’t clear that the sort of sweeping executive order envisioned by Senator Schumer and the activists would be illegal. But neither is it clear that it would be legal.

On that point, Frederick Hess of the American Enterprise Institute recently wrote,

There is certainly language in federal statute that gives the secretary of education the authority to “waive, or release any right, title, claim, lien, or demand, however acquired.” But it has long been understood that the purpose of that flexibility was to allow for narrow, targeted, relief in exceptional circumstances. Indeed, elsewhere in federal law, agencies are instructed to “try to collect” the debts they are owed. So, it sounds constitutionally kinda shaky, especially given the Court's current makeup.

So, the legality of an order to cancel a huge swath of student debt is doubtful and, if it were to be done, the order would be open to legal challenge. To declare debt relief that would cost the U.S. Treasury many billions of dollars is arguably just as much a violation of the president’s authority as if he were to unilaterally declare sweeping tax exemptions. Does he want to start a legal battle over this? What would the repercussions be if he lost?

The other point is the politics of it. Student debt cancellation “would disproportionately benefit affluent families, since working class and low income households are much less likely to have attended college at all, much less have borrowed heavily to attend pricey schools. Indeed, more than 40 percent of student debt was accumulated during graduate study by doctors, lawyers, and other professionals in pursuit of lucrative credentials.”

I think Biden would be smart to tell Congress that if they want student debt to be cancelled then they need to do it.

A well thought out response. I almost fainted. I've long said that I do not support Executive Actions but it's still nice to see AOC holding Joe's feet to the fire as this was one of his major campaign promises. It's too bad we haven't done far more of this.

In the past I had some significant debt, but worked my way out of it. I guess I'm old fashioned, but it is my belief that if you sign your name on a document that "you" will pay a debt, you and no one else pays your debts. To me, it's the same as "giving your word" that you personally will be responsible for and pay the debt.
If I ran a company and asked a job applicant if they had the government pay of their debt, my feeling is that "their word" can't be trusted and thus not hire them. People can't be discriminated against in hiring on the issue of race, gender or, age, but all that isn't covered on the list can be a disqualifier if an employer chooses (i.e., attire, attitude, et cetera).

Businesses and banks have done it a lot the last dozen years. If it's OK for them, why is it not OK for the people?

She needs to shut up and go back to tending bar.

It still boggles my mind how she got where she is, because she doesn't really to know anything or know how something works. I'm a political dummy really and even I know the president can't just snap his fingers and student debt dissapears.

Even if he could, should he? It just teaches kids "yeah go rack up a bunch of debt and you won't have to pay it". It teaches and reinforces irresponsibility.

She needs to shut up and go back to tending bar.

It still boggles my mind how she got where she is, because she doesn't really to know anything or know how something works. I'm a political dummy really and even I know the president can't just snap his fingers and student debt dissapears.

Even if he could, should he? It just teaches kids "yeah go rack up a bunch of debt and you won't have to pay it". It teaches and reinforces irresponsibility.

Trump cancelled 90 billion in student loan interest largely through executive actions. Some or all, where does the legal issues differentiate?

I’m plum tickled she is holding her ground on this and making life difficult for the rest of them.

Forum List

Back