Arctic ice thins dramatically

The low ice conditions in December occurred in conjunction with above-average air temperatures in regions where ice would normally expand at this time of year. Air temperatures over eastern Siberia were 6 to 10 degrees Celsius (11 to 18 degrees Fahrenheit) above normal in December. Over the eastern Canadian Arctic Archipelago, Baffin Bay/Davis Strait and Hudson Bay, temperatures were at least 6 degrees Celsius (11 degrees Fahrenheit) higher than average. Southern Baffin Island had the largest anomalies, with temperatures over 10 degrees Celsius (18 degrees Fahrenheit) higher than normal. By sharp contrast, temperatures were lower than average (4 to 7 degrees Celsius, 7 to 13 degrees Fahrenheit) over the Alaska-Yukon border, north-central Eurasia, and Scandinavia.

The warm temperatures in December came from two sources: unfrozen areas of the ocean continued to release heat to the atmosphere, and an unusual circulation pattern brought warm air into the Arctic from the south. Although the air temperatures were still below freezing on average, the additional ocean and atmospheric heat slowed ice growth.

Arctic Sea Ice News & Analysis

He was THE MAN for the k00ks for years and years........until the hockey stick got blown to shit!!

:fu:

How did it get blown to shit? :confused:

I don't really understand that particular outcome either, however the hockey stick has been comprehensively discredited. It seems the math he used was not up to snuff.

Pure bullshit. Dr. Mann's graph has been confirmed multiple times.

Is the hockey stick broken?

While many continue to fixate on Mann's early work on proxy records, the science of paleoclimatology has moved on. Since 1999, there have been many independent reconstructions of past temperatures, using a variety of proxy data and a number of different methodologies. All find the same result - that the last few decades are the hottest in the last 500 to 2000 years (depending on how far back the reconstruction goes). What are some of the proxies that are used to determine past temperature?

Changes in surface temperature send thermal waves underground, cooling or warming the subterranean rock. To track these changes, underground temperature measurements were examined from over 350 bore holes in North America, Europe, Southern Africa and Australia (Huang 2000). Borehole reconstructions aren't able to give short term variation, yielding only century-scale trends. What they find is that the 20th century is the warmest of the past five centuries with the strongest warming trend in 500 years

mmm so in a few hundred years of man made pollution we really did this ...mmm i doubt that. the earth is natural always getting warmer and colder we know this for a fact so everyone who says buy hybrids and electric cars hahaha those lithium ion batteries are so bad for the environment. Also one your most famous meteorologist jim cantore says global warming is crap also..

mmm so in a few hundred years of man made pollution we really did this ...mmm i doubt that. the earth is natural always getting warmer and colder we know this for a fact so everyone who says buy hybrids and electric cars hahaha those lithium ion batteries are so bad for the environment. Also one your most famous meteorologist jim cantore says global warming is crap also..

Why would you doubt it? Historical CO2 was 280-300 ppm during most of human evolution, now it's passing 380. Sure the earth has been getting warmer and colder, but you're missing the point. In the past those changes happened over millenia, while now we're talking only ~200+ years since the advent of the Industrial Revolution. You can't point to the past as a template for the future, if underlying conditions have changed, like humans emitting more CO2 in days than all the volcanoes on earth do in a normal year!!!

I don't really understand that particular outcome either, however the hockey stick has been comprehensively discredited. It seems the math he used was not up to snuff.

While many continue to fixate on Mann's early work on proxy records, the science of paleoclimatology has moved on. Since 1999, there have been many independent reconstructions of past temperatures, using a variety of proxy data and a number of different methodologies. All find the same result - that the last few decades are the hottest in the last 500 to 2000 years (depending on how far back the reconstruction goes). What are some of the proxies that are used to determine past temperature?

Changes in surface temperature send thermal waves underground, cooling or warming the subterranean rock. To track these changes, underground temperature measurements were examined from over 350 bore holes in North America, Europe, Southern Africa and Australia (Huang 2000). Borehole reconstructions aren't able to give short term variation, yielding only century-scale trends. What they find is that the 20th century is the warmest of the past five centuries with the strongest warming trend in 500 years

Yeah right, well I'll see your biased blog and raise you several more biased blogs. I dare you to read them. In fact I double dare you!:lol:

Terence Corcoran whopper: Mann’s hockey stick “eliminated some of the data from 1960 forward … and then spliced on actual temperature data” | Deep Climate

Fraudulent hockey sticks and hidden data « JoNova

Richard Littlemore | A Review of Michael Mann's Exoneration

Bluegrass Pundit: Mann's 'Hockey Stick' Graph Without The 'Hide The Data' Trick

The Hockey Stick: A New Low in Climate Science

AccuWeather.com - Weather Video - Steve McIntyre on Mann's Hockey Stick

I can present you with at least another hundred sources for you if you wish.

Why would you doubt it? Historical CO2 was 280-300 ppm during most of human evolution, now it's passing 380. Sure the earth has been getting warmer and colder, but you're missing the point. In the past those changes happened over millenia, while now we're talking only ~200+ years since the advent of the Industrial Revolution. You can't point to the past as a template for the future, if underlying conditions have changed, like humans emitting more CO2 in days than all the volcanoes on earth do in a normal year!!!

Totally and completely untrue as evidenced by the flash frozen plant life found as the South American glaciers are retreating and of course the famously flash frozen Mammoths found in Siberia and who were notably turned into steaks for the people who discovered them. Imagine that 10,000 year old meat grilled up on teh 'barbie! Yes they preserved most of the critters.

Totally and completely untrue as evidenced by the flash frozen plant life found as the South American glaciers are retreating and of course the famously flash frozen Mammoths found in Siberia and who were notably turned into steaks for the people who discovered them. Imagine that 10,000 year old meat grilled up on teh 'barbie! Yes they preserved most of the critters.

There's no such thing as a flash-frozen mammoth. How would that occur anyway? It's remarkable how you'll battle AGW to the death, but will accept any story you feel supports your side!!! I consider your statement a complete non-sequitur. It has NOTHING to do with what I said, except that it CONFIRMS that it was colder in the past. Thanks, westy. :thup:

Yeah right, well I'll see your biased blog and raise you several more biased blogs. I dare you to read them. In fact I double dare you!:lol:

Terence Corcoran whopper: Mann’s hockey stick “eliminated some of the data from 1960 forward … and then spliced on actual temperature data” | Deep Climate

the truely disappointing part of the hockey stick fiasco was how so many other scientists, especially the statisticians, refused to deal with the main issues and just dealt with peripheral points. I find it hard to believe that obvious lies were ignored and meaningless side issues were used to soak up the time.

For instance. Mann lied about the r2 (standard type of validation) by saying he didnt calculate them, even to the investigators. but when he had to release his code the r2 validation was right there with the CE (obscure type of validation). Nobody pressed him on his lie or the fact that the r2 figures were ridiculously low, in one case Mann actually went out to 5 decimal places just so he didnt have to put down zero (r2 of 0.688 for calibration period, 0.00003 for validation period, 1700-1729), all periods were low and most were practically zero.

the truely disappointing part of the hockey stick fiasco was how so many other scientists, especially the statisticians, refused to deal with the main issues and just dealt with peripheral points. I find it hard to believe that obvious lies were ignored and meaningless side issues were used to soak up the time.

For instance. Mann lied about the r2 (standard type of validation) by saying he didnt calculate them, even to the investigators. but when he had to release his code the r2 validation was right there with the CE (obscure type of validation). Nobody pressed him on his lie or the fact that the r2 figures were ridiculously low, in one case Mann actually went out to 5 decimal places just so he didnt have to put down zero (r2 of 0.688 for calibration period, 0.00003 for validation period, 1700-1729), all periods were low and most were practically zero.

I will be the first to say I hate statistics. I had to learn them because when involved in science you just have to know how to do them. However, they are so easy to manipulate that you can pretty much have them say anything you wish. But, Mann took the deception to new levels.

The reluctance to ask hard questions is caused by two things, first off, most of the researchers are true believers and secondly the ones who are not don't like conflict. It is very distasteful to confront a colleague and tell them "you are a prevaricating piece of dog shit" to their face. I was forced to do it once and I was picked because I didn't have tenure so they figured if anything bad happened they couldn't get hurt by the prick.

Also, I wasn't afraid of him and that helps. Most people are cowards when it gets right down to it. They don't want to rock the boat and would much rather let the person silently creep out. The problem is every now and then you get a bully like Mann in position and then it is very, very difficult to deal with them. They understand how to abuse the system and they have no shame, so will continue their lies and try and reverse the attack onto their enemies.

It is a problem in all aspects of the human condition.

I will be the first to say I hate statistics. I had to learn them because when involved in science you just have to know how to do them. However, they are so easy to manipulate that you can pretty much have them say anything you wish. But, Mann took the deception to new levels.

The reluctance to ask hard questions is caused by two things, first off, most of the researchers are true believers and secondly the ones who are not don't like conflict. It is very distasteful to confront a colleague and tell them "you are a prevaricating piece of dog shit" to their face. I was forced to do it once and I was picked because I didn't have tenure so they figured if anything bad happened they couldn't get hurt by the prick.

Also, I wasn't afraid of him and that helps. Most people are cowards when it gets right down to it. They don't want to rock the boat and would much rather let the person silently creep out. The problem is every now and then you get a bully like Mann in position and then it is very, very difficult to deal with them. They understand how to abuse the system and they have no shame, so will continue their lies and try and reverse the attack onto their enemies.

I think another aspect of why so many fail to forcefully speak out is the part about McIntyre being just an amateur in the field. They have circled the wagons, so to speak. I suppose in a field where so many observations are only glorified guesses to begin with, there is a great risk of just about everything tumbling down if showcased and important papers are shown to be fraudulent, or at least immaterial. MBH98 is both fraudulent and worthless.

I think another aspect of why so many fail to forcefully speak out is the part about McIntyre being just an amateur in the field. They have circled the wagons, so to speak. I suppose in a field where so many observations are only glorified guesses to begin with, there is a great risk of just about everything tumbling down if showcased and important papers are shown to be fraudulent, or at least immaterial. MBH98 is both fraudulent and worthless.

There is an awful lot of truth to that. Climatology for some reason has been elevated to the level of a cult religion where only the properly annointed ones are capable of understanding what they are talking about which is simply ludicrous. In no other field of science has the paternal religious BS taken over so completely.

In my own field there is a terrible amount of prejudice against the lowly "rockhounder" even though they are in the field far more than the average geologist, and would smoke that same geologist in a mineral identification test.

What I love about the McIntyre case is he attacked them on the math and that is hard to argue. It is either correct or it isn't...and in Manns case it clearly isn't.

There is an awful lot of truth to that. Climatology for some reason has been elevated to the level of a cult religion where only the properly annointed ones are capable of understanding what they are talking about which is simply ludicrous. In no other field of science has the paternal religious BS taken over so completely.

In my own field there is a terrible amount of prejudice against the lowly "rockhounder" even though they are in the field far more than the average geologist, and would smoke that same geologist in a mineral identification test.

What I love about the McIntyre case is he attacked them on the math and that is hard to argue. It is either correct or it isn't...and in Manns case it clearly isn't.

As McIntyre points out, if a business tried to use figures in the same way as climate science they would go to jail.

I don't think the hockey stick is right. I have away strongly believed in the little ice age and med evil warm period. Hansen(2011) believes that we are now as warm as the Holocene maximum right now, but the arctic was 3-4c in areas above todays temperature, but he states that was because of the tilt of the planet during that time being more inclined/pointing towards sun, which warmed the poles more.. This is also shown with the inner-glacial 120 thousand years ago to...he then goes on in says we are about -1c below the Pliocene of 2-5 million years ago. Which had way higher ocean levels then today. Would have to see more before Id believe word for word for this.

Last edited:

More BS.

http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.co...mmoths-and-what-did-frozen-mammoth-taste-like

Everyone has heard the rumor, but probably only dogs, or passing wolves, ever enjoyed a modern feast of preserved mammoth meat.

Mammoth meat looks like horse meat but quickly rots when it thaws.

Several mammoths were found in permafrost, preserved since the last glacial period.

The most famous was found in 1901 near the banks of the Berezovka River in Siberia. An Academy of Science expedition with dogsleds was quickly sent.

The expedition found a nearly complete carcass, but wolves and dogs had left the skull almost bare.

The meat was dark red, suggesting horse meat, and marbled with fat.

The dogs ate it avidly; the men could not quite steel themselves to try it too. Members of the expedition said the stench was like that of a badly kept stable blended with that of offal.

Members of later trips said scientists never banqueted on or even sampled the meat.

Books that describe a banquet usually lack a place and date.

The rumor seems to have arisen from Siberian natives’ superstitions warning against eating the meat, though the Yakut fed it to their dogs in time of famine.

Showing that we are warmer than the period called The Little Ice Age and that our climate is recovering from that unusual, sudden and dramatic drop in the global climate.

That is simply not true. We know for sure that The Little Ice Age had climate changes that set in very quickly and lingered for centuries.

We also know that the Ice Man died on dry ground and was buried by snow and stayed that way uninterupted by any melting of that snow for about 5000 years. That is a sudden change that lingered until about 30 years ago. Sudden changes seem to be evidenced by past occurrances.

Prior to the Renaissance, our knowledge of climate is pretty well limited to proxy evidence that doesn't really track the changes on a minute by minute or even a decade by decade basis.

For all we know, temperature dives like the Little Ice Age and the mountain glaciation trapping the ice Man could be fairly commonplace. Temperature dives like the one that ended in the late 70's could be commonplace and temperature rises like the one that we currently sit on the plateau of may be commonplace.

We simply don't know and no amount of crowing about things that are not related to one another will not create knowledge where there is only mystery.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back