Are Americans Too Dependent On Government?

Are Americans Too Dependent On Government

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are Americans Too Dependent On Government?

In light of this current Government Shutdown, I think it's an appropriate time to contemplate this question.

Some Americans are completely dependent on government as their sugar daddy.

Some Americans don't need the government for a single thing, nothing.

Some Americans could care less either way, will take it or leave it as it comes and goes.

Your question is to broad and syntactically incorrect. Use "too" when "also" would work, use "to" when also would not work.

Good post and spot on.

I know loads of folks who don't need Govt for anything and I'm one of em.

We all know though that there are all kind out there who depend on the taxpayer dollars to survive. Hell. One has to wonder what these folks would do if the spigot went dry and they had to earn their own money??

We're gonna get that answer at some point. The spigot will run dry. There will be blood. How many in this country are prepared for that day? If you can't make it during a quasi Government Shutdown, you're definitely too dependent on Government and are not prepared for worse times.

In light of this current Government Shutdown, I think it's an appropriate time to contemplate this question.

Yes they are and I think it's getting worse with each passing year.

I have to agree. This is just a tiny taste of what's to come in the future. Americans need to start thinking Self-Reliance. They need to stop depending on Government to survive. Strong independence will be the key to the future. A Collapse is coming. People shouldn't kid themselves on that. It's time for many to stop laughing at so-called 'Preppers' and begin following their lead. More need to ask themselves, are they prepared for when the Gravy Train derails?

I have to agree. This is just a tiny taste of what's to come in the future. Americans need to start thinking Self-Reliance. They need to stop depending on Government to survive. Strong independence will be the key to the future. A Collapse is coming. People shouldn't kid themselves on that. It's time for many to stop laughing at so-called 'Preppers' and begin following their lead. More need to ask themselves, are they prepared for when the Gravy Train derails?
Never been on the government gravy train and I'm not a prepper per-se. But, there is enough game, wood, land, water, and ammo at my place for my family to live sans government help on a permanent basis. It would require changes, but I'm ready.

Yes! Government has ballooned far, and wide from it's essentials; it needs to be reduced dramatically!

Never been on the government gravy train and I'm not a prepper per-se. But, there is enough game, wood, land, water, and ammo at my place for my family to live sans government help on a permanent basis. It would require changes, but I'm ready.

:thup:

What do you figure the percentage of the population is that is completely independent, that is, relying on neither the government or an employer for making their way through life?

At least 1/3. And 50% of them are immigrants.

What do you figure the percentage of the population is that is completely independent, that is, relying on neither the government or an employer for making their way through life?

Just asking if Americans have become too dependent on Government. I mean if you're struggling to make it through a 'Government Shutdown' that's not really a Shutdown, you are very likely too dependent on Government. What's gonna happen when far worse disasters strike? Maybe the 'Preppers' have the right idea after all?

Tell that to the small business diner owner, gas station owner, convienence store owner who rely on business around bases or national parks.

Just asking if Americans have become too dependent on Government. I mean if you're struggling to make it through a 'Government Shutdown' that's not really a Shutdown, you are very likely too dependent on Government. What's gonna happen when far worse disasters strike? Maybe the 'Preppers' have the right idea after all?

Tell that to the small business diner owner, gas station owner, convienence store owner who rely on business around bases or national parks.

Don't rely on Government to make your Business a success. That would be a very tragic blunder.

With 300 million people I wonder how long that wood, and game would last without government? I'm always impressed with these outdoorsmen that depend on government to protect the game that they shoot so there is somewhat of a supply. They also deplore the government that run the fish hatcheries that supply the fish they catch. Those days of self reliance by hunting and fishing are long over without government protection.

With 300 million people I wonder how long that wood, and game would last without government? I'm always impressed with these outdoorsmen that depend on government to protect the game that they shoot so there is somewhat of a supply. They also deplore the government that run the fish hatcheries that supply the fish they catch. Those days of self reliance by hunting and fishing are long over without government protection.

Yes, Big Brother cares about you. He knows what's best. You'd be nothing without him.

Yikes! :eek:

Don't rely on Government to make your Business a success. That would be a very tragic blunder.

Okay, then that would wipe out about 90% of businesses in America. Unless you and your buddies are good at maintaining highways, bridges, water, sanitation....etc I guess you could go back to outhouses?

You may be confusing federal government, with local and state government. When we say we don't need government in our lives most of us are talking about the feds. Keeping peace between neighbors is necessary without or without government (federal, local, or state). If someone comes on my land to poach, or poaches around it, they just might get shot by accident my vision's not as good as it used to be. Please wear orange.

Last edited:
I can't decide between yes or no.

Simply because the private industry is why most of us are working minimum wage part time jobs.
They milk employees and consumers for all they got so they can make a few extra bucks.

Also the defense industry has led to lots of well paying jobs. Cuts for them would be devestating.

I'd say that we are too dependent, but on the other hand... we need it to keep ourselves afloat and to keep the private sector from screwing all of us over.

I can't decide between yes or no.

Simply because the private industry is why most of us are working minimum wage part time jobs.
They milk employees and consumers for all they got so they can make a few extra bucks.

Also the defense industry has led to lots of well paying jobs. Cuts for them would be devestating.

I'd say that we are too dependent, but on the other hand... we need it to keep ourselves afloat and to keep the private sector from screwing all of us over.

Translation:

We need our government to do their job. One of their jobs is breaking up monopolies and oligopolies, domestic and foreign. That includes monopolies on labor. Another job is national defense.

Part time jobs, such as those done by students in school at the local theater and flipping burgers are just that, part time jobs deserving part time labor rates. You want to pay an adult 30bucks an hour to bag groceries? That's nuts. Unfortunately, along with the government allowed monopolies on labor, foreign and domestic, and with the redistribution of wages to fund a class of Americans that do not work at all, we are thus faced with a job market and wage market that are busted, so to speak. Leaving many adults to feed their families by taking part time jobs, or join the class of Americans that are swamping our economy.

Last edited:

are we talking all americans or just the ones sponging off the system?

The ones sponging are still recieving their welfare checks and food stamps, only federal employees are not getting paid.

funny how obama is threatening to withold SS checks, but not welfare checks.

You know what is really sad though HG? While we are not paying our own government workers, citizens of the USA because of the shutdown, we are still sending billions in aid to terrorist nations like egypt, libya, syria. disgusting. that should be the first stuff cut.

are we talking all americans or just the ones sponging off the system?

The ones sponging are still recieving their welfare checks and food stamps, only federal employees are not getting paid.

funny how obama is threatening to withold SS checks, but not welfare checks.

You know what is really sad though HG? While we are not paying our own government workers, citizens of the USA because of the shutdown, we are still sending billions in aid to terrorist nations like egypt, libya, syria. disgusting. that should be the first stuff cut.

I agree 100%, plus how is it we had money to bomb Syria a few weeks ago, and now we can't even pay our own employees? sweet Jesus!

Forum List

Back