Are gag orders constitutional?

Once you are arrested, you lose a few rights. You are still innocent until proven guilty, but that won't stop them from telling you not to leave town, if you make bail. Or, don't talk about your case to the news media. Things like that.

Too many people talking in this thread, have never been arrested before.

Once you are arrested, you lose a few rights. You are still innocent until proven guilty, but that won't stop them from telling you not to leave town, if you make bail. Or, don't talk about your case to the news media. Things like that.

Too many people talking in this thread, have never been arrested before.
The question is, the constitutionality of it. Does the government actually have the authority to do that.
Clearly, the constitution does not give them that power, or someone would have shown where it does.

The question is, the constitutionality of it. Does the government actually have the authority to do that.
Clearly, the constitution does not give them that power, or someone would have shown where it does.
The US Constitution isn't nearly long enough to cover everything. I would ask, where in the Constitution does it say that they cannot do those things to someone in custody?

So you think the 1st Amendment gives absolute freedom of speech?

Try yelling fire in a theater.
Try threatening someone in front of witnesses.
Try telling someone about some classified material you worked with.
Try revealing company secrets after you signed an NDA.
A threat is not illegal
Acting on it is
You may now return to bring a princess.

So you think the 1st Amendment gives absolute freedom of speech?

Try yelling fire in a theater.
Try threatening someone in front of witnesses.
Try telling someone about some classified material you worked with.
Try revealing company secrets after you signed an NDA.
The theater is a circumstance and not a speech issue. If you are sure the theater is completely empty, you may yell Fire to your hearts content

The US Constitution isn't nearly long enough to cover everything. I would ask, where in the Constitution does it say that they cannot do those things to someone in custody?
The constitution gives the government its power.
You have to understand what the document actually does, to understand what the govt can and cannot do.
I would figure an anarchist would understand that.

When you are under arrest for a crime...

Actually, when you are arrested for a crime is when your Constitutional rights are most directly applicable.

Wow, explains your lack of belief in Trump having rights. I hate Nazis

When you are under arrest for a crime...

Actually, when you are arrested for a crime is when your Constitutional rights are most directly applicable.

The theater is a circumstance and not a speech issue. If you are sure the theater is completely empty, you may yell Fire to your hearts content

And if you yell 'Fire" in a crowded theater, you go to jail.

There are numerous instances where you cannot say what you want. Freedom of speech is not absolute.

The constitution gives the government its power.
You have to understand what the document actually does, to understand what the govt can and cannot do.
I would figure an anarchist would understand that.
I try. But with that learning curve, I'll go with: people in custody (having been arrested) have been subjected to the the decree of the justice system, for as long as anyone can remember.

It's just set up that way. Is it Constitutional? Ask the Supremes.

I try. But with that learning curve, I'll go with: people in custody (having been arrested) have been subjected to the the decree of the justice system, for as long as anyone can remember.

It's just set up that way. Is it Constitutional? Ask the Supremes.
I aint worried about what they say. Those assholes have wrong throughout our history. A few examples were in the OP.

I aint worried about what they say. Those assholes have wrong throughout our history. A few examples were in the OP.
Rechecked, and yeah, those were some supreme doozies.

I named my black cat Dred. I tease him about only being 3/5th of a cat lolz.

Lib loons try and sell their wish that indictments , arrests, accusations, evidence, hearsay, etc are Convictions rather than mere charges

And if you yell 'Fire" in a crowded theater, you go to jail.

There are numerous instances where you cannot say what you want. Freedom of speech is not absolute.
And if it’s empty you don’t so there is no carte blanch prohibition. This is also true for most fantasies of your heart as to what speech is factually impermissible

Last edited:
And if it’s empty you don’t so there is no carte blanch prohibition. This is also true for most fantasies of your heart as to what speech is factually impermissible

Completely missing the point. If you cannot yell 'Fire' in a crowded theater, your 1st Amendment rights are not absolute. That you can yell in an empty theater does not change that.

Just like you cannot reveal classified information.

No
Call a cop and tell them I threatened to beat your ass. First thing they will ask is did I physically accost you.

And reread what I said when I included threats as an example of your free speech not being absolute.

Completely missing the point. If you cannot yell 'Fire' in a crowded theater, your 1st Amendment rights are not absolute. That you can yell in an empty theater does not change that.
That always seems like a silly thing to have to point out. All rights are limited. The old saw "your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose" kinda covers it.

Forum List

Back