Are Message Boards going the way of the Dinosaurs?

My big question is why people think it is okay to abuse others on message boards. And why people think it is cute to come back as socks.
Because they don't have to deal with the repercussions of seeing the affects on the person, and/or their faces as they say whatever they are saying.
Because some DO change and want to start anew but some won't let them because they haven't changed at all..or have and it will take time to prove it.

My big question is why people think it is okay to abuse others on message boards. And why people think it is cute to come back as socks.
Well IF you have closed an account and are using a new one you are not a sock. The term "sock" refers to a person who has more one account at one time. Wilstonegreen is the king of that. He would build cyber armies on boards.

For example...are you the same person you were 10 years ago? 5 years ago? Or have your beliefs changed in that time? Or, you are the same person but some parts of you are no longer who you used to be? :dunno:

Well IF you have closed an account and are using a new one you are not a sock. The term "sock" refers to a person who has more one account at one time. Wilstonegreen is the king of that. He would build cyber armies on boards.
And he showed up here awhile back but I have not seen him since. Thankfully.

Socks are those who are banned, get a new name, hide their server, and return to continue on as before. Some, truly are different in some way or another. There are quite a few here, I imagine, that have more than one account as backup in case they are ever pinked.

Yeah, I was referring to ones that are banned and come back (even with masked IP's) as another user.

Socks are those who are banned, get a new name, hide their server, and return to continue on as before. Some, truly are different in some way or another. There are quite a few here, I imagine, that have more than one account as backup in case they are ever pinked.

Yep, and some people have several.

Wil has quit drinking about two years ago and is now a publish author. His book is published in Europe of which of course he lives in England. The book tittle is " Chufa"s Ark". He used that as a screen name once at CyberFury.

I barely remember him. Its been some years since then.

Right now....the market that is still not plucked are BOOMERS!!! Seniors! Our parents were busy little bees in the 50's. Younger people head to FB. Older people are stuck with AARP and their setup sucks big hairy ones. It is that lined format crap, like at Craigslist. So boomers are looking. Not a lot out there calling for them or listed on the first page of google or bing. They have to dig DEEP. That market is still fresh and new.

Right now....the market that is still not plucked are BOOMERS!!! Seniors! Our parents were busy little bees in the 50's. Younger people head to FB. Older people are stuck with AARP and their setup sucks big hairy ones. It is that lined format crap, like at Craigslist. So boomers are looking. Not a lot out there calling for them or listed on the first page of google or bing. They have to dig DEEP. That market is still fresh and new.
Its not so much we are missing age. We do have idiots of all ages. And race wise we have at least a FEW of many races and countries.
But ONE. When is the last time you saw an Asian on this board? I will have been here a year in just a few days. I have not seen a single Asian.

But its not just here. Adam did not have any. Ben had none. Jay had one. Why are the Asians not hitting the boards?

I think Unkotare is asian?
I think they are busy studying, learning and keeping to themselves. Or...like Native Americans (or most of them), are on NA geared boards like powwow. Wanna read some pissed off injuns at the stupidity of white eyes? Read that one. Oy. MrG would do fine there but I would probably be not too welcome. And if you ask questions about their culture..be wearing armor.
However, we DO have a few full bloods here. They just don't talk about it. Those that do..well..they aren't really injuns. They are 1/15th cherokee or something, lol.

Its not so much we are missing age. We do have idiots of all ages.
I have to disagree with you with this one. I went looking, as I stated before. And I had to dig DEEP to find a boomer board. Finally found that one, but..it didn't work out due to the admin. Then there is Buzz50, but he bombards ya with ads, and emails spamming of this or that, where are you and why are you not posting.... and whatnot. I left there too because it is so empty, thats how he tries to get folks to come back I guess. I found that ONE board besides the AARP one and maybe a scant few others that were flat out unused. Last post was a week prior to me looking.

The untapped market are boomers that do not like FB. Someone will figure that out soon enough and run with it.

For funzies....go to Google and type in Senior Message Boards. See what pops up. Not a heck of a lot that are inhabited.

I gotta log off in a few. Board maintenance will kick in in about 10 minutes then I will be unable to come back til 1:15 if I am still awake. Just a heads up if I disappear.

I think we all disappear at that time. Time for me to go anyhow. Say g'nite Gracie

BTW I haz Cherokee. Great great grandmother. Or was it great? LOL
I just don't keep up too much.

Powwow is nothing but full bloods or at least 3/4ths. And they like it that way.

Night Kat. See ya tomorrow. :)

Its not so much we are missing age. We do have idiots of all ages.
I have to disagree with you with this one. I went looking, as I stated before. And I had to dig DEEP to find a boomer board. Finally found that one, but..it didn't work out due to the admin. Then there is Buzz50, but he bombards ya with ads, and emails spamming of this or that, where are you and why are you not posting.... and whatnot. I left there too because it is so empty, thats how he tries to get folks to come back I guess. I found that ONE board besides the AARP one and maybe a scant few others that were flat out unused. Last post was a week prior to me looking.

The untapped market are boomers that do not like FB. Someone will figure that out soon enough and run with it.
You are looking at "sponsored" boards. There is NO money in that.
You need to OWN your own platform and out source the server to a place like "Wired Tree".

If you do not own the server or at least rent space on it you do not own the content. ALL of the "sponsored" boards will tell you in the TOS/TOA that you do not own the content.

FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc. Things keep changing. Are message boards going to MySpace Hell, do you think? Or is there still a purpose for them? I know usmb is busy, but not like it used to be. And message boards tends to move around in the same galaxy, so although there are many of them, many are also uninhabited. Do people just wander off cuz they are bored with it all, or do other places like Twitter and FB lure them better?

What's your thoughts?

Most are either pretty dead or way over moderated. This place has hung in there but seems to be down somewhat....even in this political season. Too many distractions out there I guess.....

Forum List

Back