Are there ANY trustworthy news sources left anymore?

PredFan

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2011
In Liberal minds, rent free.
Two threads inspired me to share what I've been turning over in my head a lot lately.

Are there really any trustworthy news sources anymore?

Those of you who are left wing might list the Mainstream Media, or CNN, or MSNBC. Many will even list the Huffington Post and a trustworthy news source.

Conversely, many righties will list FOX or even The Blaze.

Myself, I say there is only one source and it isn't anuy one of those.

The lies and distortions of the Mainstream Media are well documented and have been gone over ad nauseum in this forum. The partisan slant of the Huffington Post, Salon.com, FOX News, The Blaze, and others cannot rationally be denied.

I choose to listen to the right wing guys. I watch FOX, and I listen to Beck. I DO NOT form my political opinions on what they say. I know they slant things in the direction of the right. The reason I listen to them is because I always choose the voices that criticise government. If there are two voices, one is spouting the government propaganda, and the other is criticising the government, I will listen to the one criticising. Even if I know I have to take it with a grain of salt.

There is only ONE news source that can be trusted at all. That source is USMB. Here I can get almost instant news, 24/7/365 and almost immediately get both views on the subject.

In a word, no.

The only way to get the big picture on any given story at this point is to create a network of "news" sources and hit them all. So, sadly, it takes considerable effort and analysis to really absorb the news now.

Also sadly, many people either don't realize that, don't care enough to put out the effort, or are happy just getting the side of a story with which they agree.

I don't think that there really is any trust worthy news any longer.
You listen to both to get whats going on out there in the world and here at home and then look it up for yourself right from sources to get the real truth.
I do see the lefty slanting news as the worst of the worst for spinning and dropping information that should be told.
It is bad though when you have the majority of the news on the Deomcrats side, rather than real reporting.
Actual news should be for neither side and just do their reporting.
Some things are just impossible to get, unless you actually know some of the people. :)

In a word, no.

The only way to get the big picture on any given story at this point is to create a network of "news" sources and hit them all. So, sadly, it takes considerable effort and analysis to really absorb the news now.

Also sadly, many people either don't realize that, don't care enough to put out the effort, or are happy just getting the side of a story with which they agree.

Many just don't have the time, who work all day and have children and are very busy on the weekends.
Because the way the news is now, the people who are so busy and can't do the proper analysis that is needed now, will not realize what's going on.
It gets the results that they want, the low uninformed voter.

I still haven't been able to get a straight answer to my question of what weapon\weapons were
used in the Sandy Hook shootings.

Everyone was saying assault rifle.

Then I saw a clip from the Today show and they had a field reporter at the site saying he had confirmation from the coroner and police that said they found hand guns in the school and the rifle
was in the car.

Now all i hear from Joe Biden and the Washington crowd refer to assault weapons used at Sandy Hook.

Where does one go to find the truth?.

There are dozens of excellent news sources.

The problem is not the sources - it is the people who consider 'news' = 'what I believe'.

Approach news with a slightly more open mind, and it isn't a major issue at all. People should also be big enough to admit that, 'Ok, I guess I'm kinda left wing - so probably Fox isn't for me'. That shouldn't be seen as a criticism of Fox.

Last edited:

The problem is not the sources - it is the people who consider 'news' = 'what I believe'.

Approach news with a slightly more open mind, and it isn't a major issue at all.

Name the excellent news sources.

In a word, no.

Do you agree with my opinion that this site; USMB is actually a very good source of news?

I still haven't been able to get a straight answer to my question of what weapon\weapons were
used in the Sandy Hook shootings.

Everyone was saying assault rifle.

Then I saw a clip from the Today show and they had a field reporter at the site saying he had confirmation from the coroner and police that said they found hand guns in the school and the rifle
was in the car.

Now all i hear from Joe Biden and the Washington crowd refer to assault weapons used at Sandy Hook.

Where does one go to find the truth?.

It's difficult, my default setting is that Joe Biden is lying.

Last edited:

Approach news with a slightly more open mind, and it isn't a major issue at all.

I'm sure you know the US media scene a lot better than I do, but whenever I've been in the US or reading online I've enjoyed the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and New York Times.

There may be a touch of liberal bias there, but they are also very solid news services, and fairly trustworthy.

Supplement that with something from outside the US like the BBC and you're set.

Last edited:

I'm sure you know the US media scence a lot better than I do, but whenever I've been in the US or reading online I've enjoyed the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and New York Times.

There may be a touch of liberal bias there, but they are also very solid news services, and fairly trustworthy.

Supplement that with something from outside the US like the BBC and you're set.

More than a "touch" of liberal spin there.

More than a "touch" of liberal spin there.

Very likely, but that needn't be a major problem.

I sometimes write for a daily paper here that is quite conservative in tone. But I still enjoy reading it, have total respect for the staff, and really like the editors I've met there.

It's only very rarely that I think they may have put spin on a story when they shouldn't have.

I think we should all be a little cynical and a lot open-minded about everything we read anyway, regardless of the politics on display.

In a word, no.

Do you agree with my opinion that this site; USMB is actually a very good source of news?

No. It is too heavily slanted towards opinions and reactions to the real news which can be found at FNC.

In a word, no.

My kneejerk reaction to that question would be something like, "freakin' HELL no."

But I guess that depends. If some of the posts you read on this site make you curious and inspire a person to do further research on the topic being addressed, that's definitely a good thing.

Outside of that, a vast majority of posts here are just opinion that could be found on any given radio talk show or cable news opinion show. Boiler-plate partisan rhetoric. The big advantage here is that I don't have to listen to three people screaming at the same time.

:laugh:

Last edited:

In a word, no.

No. It is too heavily slanted towards opinions and reactions to the real news which can be found at FNC.

While you are right, everything is slanted here, it is slanted both ways. You can get both sides of the issue almost immediately. I get the truth, or close to it, from reading both sides and figuring out what the truth is. I can't really get that from FOX or any other source.

I would recommend RealClearPolitics.com, you get a bunch of analysis and opinions from both sides of the aisle, and they have news stories too.

In a word, no.

Right!

I watch a lot of news - mostly Fox - but have 154 blog feeds that give we a wide variety of news and opinion sources. I have given up on ABC, CBS, MSNBC, CNN, & NBC for unbiased news AND clearly understand Fox has commentators who espouse their own biased views.

Thanks to the internet, there ARE alternatives to allow us to get a fair view of the world.

Forum List

Back