🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Are these Cartoons Racist? Or just "political"

Dear cnm and TheOldSchool:
The "big lips" can be taken as a racial stereotype.
I think this goes both ways, because neutrally speaking, anyone
with big lips or a big chin or nose gets that exaggerated in these type caricatures.

However, with Black depictions, the "big red lips" were used in a very negative way,
so this conjures up old longstanding stereotypes associated with being deliberately hurtful and not good natured humor.
I don't see that in either of the cartoons I enquired about. The one Vag posted, sure.

Here's another one.

condi6.png

That cartoonist was banned by many liberal sites such as Daily Kos and many civil rights groups came out against it. Where is the conservative opposition to Obama being drawn with watermelons and KFC buckets?

Yep, Rall was abandoned by the left when he was no longer useful.

But that would be to opposite of supporting racism, which you claimed was being done. You're all over the place

I thought guilt by association was acceptable to the left, even for things done in the past. The only one all over the place is you.

Those are the easy ones. Also, were all of yours from major sources?

Hint, the lips are usually a give away, also in the 2nd the general cave-manish look of her is a form of subtle racism, you often saw it in cartoons of the irish in the late 19th/early 20th century.

Are the Boston Globe and Boston Herald not major?

Her lips are like a bird beak and her "cave-manish look" seems to me like just her looking angry. Meanwhile while you are looking for hints of subtle racism I'm showing you blatantly obvious, in your face racism. It's amazing you would confuse the two.

So the Boston Globe and Herald had someone create the last two for their papers? They paid for them? Or did they just report on them?

The first one is tame by comparison.

It's far more blatantly racist than anything you've presented.

Obama isn't drawn in a racist way, or a sexist way. His features are not exaggerated (save his ears, and you assholes did that to Bush all the time). There is even some debate over how the "watermelon" got added, as early drafts of the cartoon indicate they were going with "raspberry"

It's amazing that you think Condolleeza as a parrot is racist, but there haven't been any racist Obama cartoons. This entire thread is a crock.

There have been plenty of racist Obama cartoons, what I want to know is if the last two posted in the OP were from major news organizations.

Republicans only see racism when its directed at a black conservative. Then you point out that there are racist whites out there and they deny it.

Actually that's what they're complaining about with liberals!
So at the very least, it is mutual, which might show it is more politically driven,
though using racial references as the means of expression.

Except you'll never see a liberal defend racism. Like the Condi cartoon got pulled because of liberals. The Obama cartoons are defended by Republicans.

Then they are mad when they are seen as defending racism

explain
Al Sharpton
Jesse Jackson
Barack Obama
Eric Holder
Cynthia McKinney

Here's another one.

condi6.png

That cartoonist was banned by many liberal sites such as Daily Kos and many civil rights groups came out against it. Where is the conservative opposition to Obama being drawn with watermelons and KFC buckets?

But that would be to opposite of supporting racism, which you claimed was being done. You're all over the place

I thought guilt by association was acceptable to the left, even for things done in the past. The only one all over the place is you.

Dont try to pawn off your guilt by association by trying to blame "the left". You're responsible for your own shit

Here's another one.

condi6.png

Dont try to pawn off your guilt by association by trying to blame "the left". You're responsible for your own shit

LOL. The left is all ABOUT guilt by association, unless of course its about them.

Fucking hypocrites, all of you.

LOL. The left is all ABOUT guilt by association, unless of course its about them.

And you're doing it because you're not a hypocrit right? I'm not about guilt by association. Too bad you arent the same

Hi martybegan: Smiles!
I think you did the equivalent of answering your own question or fulfilling your own self-fulfilling prophecy.
When you say "the left" you are lumping people together collectively,
which is a form of "guilt by association."

As I said before, our political system is based on doing this.
To get points collectively, negative campaigns work to steer public opinion
in opposition against whole groups by "association."

We use this tactic regularly, it is accepted as the norm,
and yet we complain about bigotry and racism that are based on these tactics we encourage and exploit.

So we are all hypocrites if we keep doing this, and keep complaining that "other people are doing it."
In a sense, we are all guilty directly or indirectly of benefiting from this tactic we hate so much when it is inflicted on us.

How fun to be human! Hypocrites, every one!
http www.houstonprogressive.org/hypocrisy.html

I'd add the meme of Obama in a "Buckwheat" like haircut with the KFC bucket and watermelon "campaininn" smacks of nothing but racist undertones. Not even. I've said since the beginning of Obama Presidency there is plenty of substance or lack thereof without having to bring half his geneology into the conversation.

I'd add the meme of Obama in a "Buckwheat" like haircut with the KFC bucket and watermelon "campaininn" smacks of nothing but racist undertones. Not even. I've said since the beginning of Obama Presidency there is plenty of substance or lack thereof without having to bring half his geneology into the conversation.

I agree that there is plenty objection to Obama on Constitutional grounds that are independent of race, party or whatever.

However those images in using racial references intended to be hurtful towards race, such as the watermelon reference,
distract from the content of the argument, stoke the emotions, and incite backlash that makes the situation escalate worse.

The more ambiguous references, such as connecting Obama or Rice to "traditional" characters,
can be seen as either exaggerations by character OR by race, so this is even more contentious because the
protesters can be attacked for criticizing the racial associations when that isn't the only interpretation.

That reminds me of when Rush Limbaugh purposely used the term FARDING on the air,
got people upset, thinking he said FARTING, and then could argue it was their fault not his.

It is still baiting people to incite a negative reaction.
Yes, you can blame it on the people reacting, as the reason they see it as racist and say it's them.

But to be honest, for these exaggerations that "cross the line" the point is knowing it will incite them anyway, based on race.

When you point a rubber gun at someone, even though it's not a real gun,
if your intent IS to coerce them by fear it is a real gun, then you're still guilty of that intent.

Forum List

Back