🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Are these Cartoons Racist? Or just "political"

OH RLY???

oliphant_rice.gif

00-condi-rice-political-cartoon-09-12.jpg

Please explain ANY racist connotations in those.

Its subtle, but its there, the first one also has some good ol'
sexist connotations to it as well.

In one she's a parrot and in the other she's continuing to support war which she has continued to do unapologetically. Where are the KFC buckets, watermelons, and ebonics references?

Those are the easy ones. Also, were all of yours from major sources?

Hint, the lips are usually a give away, also in the 2nd the general cave-manish look of her is a form of subtle racism, you often saw it in cartoons of the irish in the late 19th/early 20th century.

Are the Boston Globe and Boston Herald not major?

Her lips are like a bird beak and her "cave-manish look" seems to me like just her looking angry. Meanwhile while you are looking for hints of subtle racism I'm showing you blatantly obvious, in your face racism. It's amazing you would confuse the two.

So the Boston Globe and Herald had someone create the last two for their papers? They paid for them? Or did they just report on them?

The first one is tame by comparison.

Here's another one.

condi6.png

That cartoonist was banned by many liberal sites such as Daily Kos and many civil rights groups came out against it. Where is the conservative opposition to Obama being drawn with watermelons and KFC buckets?

Where were those last two published by major newspapers as anything other than pointing them out as examples of racism?

Please explain ANY racist connotations in those.

In one she's a parrot and in the other she's continuing to support war which she has continued to do unapologetically. Where are the KFC buckets, watermelons, and ebonics references?

Hint, the lips are usually a give away, also in the 2nd the general cave-manish look of her is a form of subtle racism, you often saw it in cartoons of the irish in the late 19th/early 20th century.

Her lips are like a bird beak and her "cave-manish look" seems to me like just her looking angry. Meanwhile while you are looking for hints of subtle racism I'm showing you blatantly obvious, in your face racism. It's amazing you would confuse the two.

So the Boston Globe and Herald had someone create the last two for their papers? They paid for them? Or did they just report on them?

It's far more blatantly racist than anything you've presented.

Here's another one.

condi6.png
Could someone please explain where the racial references are in these cartoons?

It's more subtle, but its there. Try and figure it out for yourself.

like so subtle it doesnt exist and you cannot explain it.

see below.

Is your explanation down there?

see above.

Is your explanation up there?

Here's another one.

condi6.png

That cartoonist was banned by many liberal sites such as Daily Kos and many civil rights groups came out against it. Where is the conservative opposition to Obama being drawn with watermelons and KFC buckets?

Where were those last two published by major newspapers as anything other than pointing them out as examples of racism?

Where was your Ted Rall cartoon printed?

Here's another one.

condi6.png

Yep, Rall was abandoned by the left when he was no longer useful.

But that would be to opposite of supporting racism, which you claimed was being done. You're all over the place

Obama isn't drawn in a racist way, or a sexist way. His features are not exaggerated (save his ears, and you assholes did that to Bush all the time). There is even some debate over how the "watermelon" got added, as early drafts of the cartoon indicate they were going with "raspberry"

Here's another one.

condi6.png

Where was your Ted Rall cartoon printed?

On a conservative sites

I listen to this guy whining saying that the New Yorker Obama cartoon is nothing like what the Nazis did and yet he shows Nazi cartoons for most of that video.

Does he even know what he's upset about?

Obama isn't drawn in a racist way, or a sexist way. His features are not exaggerated (save his ears, and you assholes did that to Bush all the time). There is even some debate over how the "watermelon" got added, as early drafts of the cartoon indicate they were going with "raspberry"

It's amazing that you think Condolleeza as a parrot is racist, but there haven't been any racist Obama cartoons. This entire thread is a crock.

Republicans only see racism when its directed at a black conservative. Then you point out that there are racist whites out there and they deny it.

I'd call the New Yorker parody. The watermelon is over the top.
I agree the watermelon reference has nothing to do with the content,
except to make a racially-inciting reference.

I can also understand how the bigger lips on Rice can be taken either way:
As simply a physical exaggeration as any cartoonist would draw a caricature.
OR as a hurtful reference to the bigger lips associated specifically with Blacks.

One of the most compassionate, good humored and tolerant speakers with
the Center for the Healing of Racism admitted she still can't look at caricatures
of Black people with "big red lips or lipstick" because of past abuses of this as hurtful and not good humored.

so that one is borderline.

I also see "both sides" of the Confederate flag, and how it has purely historical context,
but has such strong racial connotations with the KKK that it has ruined it for some people where they can't see it otherwise.

Some of these references depend on the person, and no, neither the audience nor the cartoonist should be blamed for that.
People have different associations, and some of this humor or attempt at caricatures is going to cross the line.

Republicans only see racism when its directed at a black conservative. Then you point out that there are racist whites out there and they deny it.

Actually that's what they're complaining about with liberals!
So at the very least, it is mutual, which might show it is more politically driven,
though using racial references as the means of expression.

Actually that's what they're complaining about with liberals!
So at the very least, it is mutual, which might show it is more politically driven,
though using racial references as the means of expression.

Except you'll never see a liberal defend racism. Like the Condi cartoon got pulled because of liberals. The Obama cartoons are defended by Republicans.

Then they are mad when they are seen as defending racism

OH RLY???

oliphant_rice.gif

00-condi-rice-political-cartoon-09-12.jpg
Could someone please explain where the racial references are in these cartoons?

Dear cnm and TheOldSchool:
The "big lips" can be taken as a racial stereotype.
I think this goes both ways, because neutrally speaking, anyone
with big lips or a big chin or nose gets that exaggerated in these type caricatures.

However, with Black depictions, the "big red lips" were used in a very negative way,
so this conjures up old longstanding stereotypes associated with being deliberately hurtful and not good natured humor.

Except you'll never see a liberal defend racism.

What I do find is liberals defending other subtle forms of discrimination.

It's okay to be prochoice and against govt intrusion when it comes to abortion and reproductive choice.
But when it comes to health care choices, suddenly everyone should give up freedom for the greater good,
or they don't see it as losing any freedom since it wasn't a choice anyway. Similar to how not all the prolife
see abortion as a valid choice anyway.

When the shoe is on the other foot, the liberals go just as far out of their way to justify their agenda.

Decrying "separation of church and state"
but then when it comes to the Democrat Party BELIEF that "health care is a right"
then that is OKAY to establish and enforce by federal laws, including penalties if you don't comply.

I think that is worse than racism.

To discriminate against the beliefs of others while crying "separation of church and state."
Dangerous and destructive to the integrity of law and govt.
And most do not even recognize they are doing this, which is the saddest thing!
They REALLY believe they are in the right, and don't see they are violating their own principles.

Forum List

Back