Are We In Some Kind Of Strange Golden Age Of Very Affordable But Decent M1911 Handguns?

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Must be the exchange rate.

Both Tisas and RIA put out more than acceptable M1911s for the money. My money is on Tisas for a no frills pistol.

I'm seeing Tisas (both .45 A1s and 9mm Commanders) for under $300 before shipping/transfer all over the place for the holiday sales.....There is simply no excuse not to add a Tisas to your inventory right this minute if you don't desire all the whistles and bells.

A freaking Hi-Point .45 is only $50.00 less!

I gave $250.00 for this Tisas back in September.....It shoots lights out.

t 003 (2).JPG

t 002 (2).JPG

It comes with a very nice lockable fitted case with a extra mag, cleaning rod/brush, and bushing tool.

t 001 (2).JPG

Those Turks have come a long ways since the days they were cranking out those Turkish Mausers.

Those Turks have come a long ways since the days they were cranking out those Turkish Mausers.
The Turk Mausers were OK for what they were....Most were converted from Gew-98s....Turkey received almost all of Mauser's 1918 Gew-98 production.....The Germans simply did not need them by then.

The Turks did have a Ersatz bayonet problem though....I mean WTF? :laughing0301:

R.d8af673d15e7a44cd5cbd73ca8d308ab

OIP.QwGsVhvQUjfuSB3_nGfvLwHaE8

The problem with 1911s is that you have to tweak them to make them half decent.

I already have one Tisas and one RIA, budget 1911s that just work however the Tisas is fairly high quality at budget prices. They've been tested next to the "big boy" manufacturers and are just as good if not better than the Colts, Springfields, Kimbers, etc.

That's interesting, I haven't found that to be the case. Of course I buy Wilson Combat mags for mine and keep mine well lubed.
Looking at it from a competition perspective. They seem to always need tweaking. Having said that, most people who shoot them in competition have usually tweaked the hell out of them anyway and roll their own ammo so there's a lot of variables. I am dating myself but I did like when Rock Island and Ruger started coming out with inexpensive 1911s.

From a competition perspective, I like the look of the 2011s. Mags are expensive though.

I have three 1911s. One is a tricked out Series 70s Colt. The other one is an Ithaca WWII production, US Army marked. I also have a .22 1911 looking pistol made by Chiappa.

A few years ago I had a Ballester–Molina. I got rid of it in a trade. It was actually a good solid cheap 1911. Made in Argentina supervised by Colt engineers, however, not all the parts were interchangeable with a standard 1911.

OP is right. This is the golden age of 1911s. Lots of good manufactures. Of course you can that say that about most firearms nowadays. For instance, ARs are very cheap now. The first AR I bought in the early 70s was a $299 Colt SP1. That would be like $2000 nowadays.

I have three 1911s. One is a tricked out Series 70s Colt. The other one is an Ithaca WWII production, US Army marked. I also have a .22 1911 looking pistol made by Chiappa.

A few years ago I had a Ballester–Molina. I got rid of it in a trade. It was actually a good solid cheap 1911. Made in Argentina supervised by Colt engineers, however, not all the parts were interchangeable with a standard 1911.

OP is right. This is the golden age of 1911s. Lots of good manufactures. Of course you can that say that about most firearms nowadays. For instance, ARs are very cheap now. The first AR I bought in the early 70s was a $299 Colt SP1. That would be like $2000 nowadays.
$300 was a lot of money in the 70s.....$1500 +/- depending on what year.

I call that the "SKS syndrome" where folks remember $79.00 SKSs and think they should not be the $400+ they command today.

Must be the exchange rate.

Both Tisas and RIA put out more than acceptable M1911s for the money. My money is on Tisas for a no frills pistol.

I'm seeing Tisas (both .45 A1s and 9mm Commanders) for under $300 before shipping/transfer all over the place for the holiday sales.....There is simply no excuse not to add a Tisas to your inventory right this minute if you don't desire all the whistles and bells.

A freaking Hi-Point .45 is only $50.00 less!

I gave $250.00 for this Tisas back in September.....It shoots lights out.

t 003 (2).JPG

t 002 (2).JPG

It comes with a very nice lockable fitted case with a extra mag, cleaning rod/brush, and bushing tool.

t 001 (2).JPG
Have you tried running it with any 10rnd mags from Mcormick?

$300 was a lot of money in the 70s.....$1500 +/- depending on what year.

I call that the "SKS syndrome" where folks remember $79.00 SKSs and think they should not be the $400+ they command today.
The Sp1 was $299 because it came with a Colt carry handle scope. Without the scope it was $249.

Nowadays those vintage Colt carry handle scope sell for $500 just by themselves (the cost of a PA AR) if you can find one. I have six of them that I have collected over the years in addition to the original one.

Looking at it from a competition perspective. They seem to always need tweaking. Having said that, most people who shoot them in competition have usually tweaked the hell out of them anyway and roll their own ammo so there's a lot of variables. I am dating myself but I did like when Rock Island and Ruger started coming out with inexpensive 1911s.

From a competition perspective, I like the look of the 2011s. Mags are expensive though.
I don't do competition shooting so I don't need to do any real tweaking on my 1911s or my tactical Tupperware.

Forum List

Back