Are we so Societally Evolved as to render the Constitiution (2nd Amend.) Antiquated...

Are we so evolved as a Society & Nation that this notion of a check against tyranny

The 2nd Amendment was not a check against Tyranny of the Government of the People. It was for the Militia's to always have their weapons with them and to be well trained in the art of military maneuvers and drills. Each State had one. They were ultimately under control of the CiC. Technological advances have rendered the Citizen Militia's obsolete and replaced them with the National Guard. So in a way yes things have evolved. Of course the Supreme Court has decided to re-write the Amendment and ignore bit about the Militia and it's value in a free state and granted the people a limited right to certain weapons.

Clearly impossible to do in this climate but I think it needs to be re-written to clearly define the peoples rights.

Apparently, you have never read any of the Founding Fathers' writings.

I bet you've read "The Communist Manifesto" though. :1peleas:

Has human nature changed? Have evil men stopped assaulting innocent people? Have governments stopped being corrupt? Have tyrants all been eliminated?

No?

Then no we still have a right to defend ourselves and a right to the tools we need to do so
And those tools are the Constitution and its case law.

Funny how our Founders didn't use the constitution and caselaw to fight the British

Because neither existed.

Has human nature changed? Have evil men stopped assaulting innocent people? Have governments stopped being corrupt? Have tyrants all been eliminated?

No?

Then no we still have a right to defend ourselves and a right to the tools we need to do so
And those tools are the Constitution and its case law.

Funny how our Founders didn't use the constitution and caselaw to fight the British
Apparently the British weren't like the liberal 'progressives' we have today... so enlightened & all....

We had far more freedom under King George III than we do now.

We had far more freedom under King George III than we do now.

^ Simply retarded.

The 2nd Amendment was "antiquated" on the day it was written.

The Constitution, including Bill of Rights, is generally a masterpiece of forward-thinking that is still relevant today - but not the 2nd Amendment. The founders, mostly men of great vision, apparently couldn't see past the day they wrote it. It has become so obsolete that SCOTUS can interpret it any way it wishes - which it has and will continue to do so.

It's like an Etch A Sketch.

Date of Constitution: 1788

Date of Etch-a-Sketch: 1960

Clearly one was in effect before the other.

The Constitution, including Bill of Rights, is generally a masterpiece of forward-thinking that is still relevant today - but not the 2nd Amendment. The founders, mostly men of great vision, apparently couldn't see past the day they wrote it. It has become so obsolete that SCOTUS can interpret it any way it wishes - which it has and will continue to do so.

Date of Constitution: 1788

Date of Etch-a-Sketch: 1960

Clearly one was in effect before the other.

You don't get it.

The Constitution is antiquated in the laws that it covers.

Etch A Sketch is antiquated when it comes to computer graphics.

He is drawing an analogy.

A "societally evolved" nation wouldn't have school shootings.
There's always a reluctant group that lags behind. They're called conservatives.

If conservatives are to blame, then why didn't we have school shootings back when America was more conservative?

It's conservative policy that put a gun in this kid's hands.

It's Democrat policy that gave him his apathetic mindset and failed to separate him from society.

There's always a reluctant group that lags behind. They're called conservatives.

If conservatives are to blame, then why didn't we have school shootings back when America was more conservative?

It's Democrat policy that gave him his mindset and failed to remove him from society.

There was no need to remove him. Mental illness is not a crime. Only a need to keep guns out of his posession.

A hi-cap. magazine ban has been an issue for decades and it underscores the essential point of contention between the camps of the 'gun rights' & 'anti's'... Does it boil down to the fundamental point of the 2nd Amendment... a check, by 'the people', against tyranny?

Are we so evolved as a Society & Nation that this notion of a check against tyranny... is 'foolish' and a silly relic...? We do (currently) see dozens and dozens of Countries around the world where there is rampant oppression by dictatorships, quasi governments, political parties, royal families... over the freedoms and "inalienable rights" of their people... So are we 'above all that', now well into our 3rd century as a Nation?

House Democrats Push Ban on 'High Capacity' Magazines and 205 Different Firearms

Magazine capacity is perhaps the clearest tangible measure of where our Nation stands on this... After all, what use is an "assault rifle" if it can only be used with 'tiny' capacity mags... Is having an armed citizenry... 'armed commensurately' with that of the 'civilian' authority policing them, a bygone notion? Do our remaining 90's something elder's notions of the Wiemar Republic, no longer apply here...?

Chicago, New York and L.A. are the poster child of proving we as a damn nation are not evolved...

It's Democrat policy that gave him his mindset and failed to remove him from society.

There was no need to remove him. Mental illness is not a crime. Only a need to keep guns out of his posession.

Violent mental illness is. I see you have no way of denying my assertion.

Americans have owned guns since this country was founded. So I ask again, why didn't we have school shootings when the country was more conservative?

Violent mental illness is. I see you have no way of denying my assertion.

Your assertion is dumb. Obviously his political ideology is not relevant to his mental fitness to own a gun.

A hi-cap. magazine ban has been an issue for decades and it underscores the essential point of contention between the camps of the 'gun rights' & 'anti's'... Does it boil down to the fundamental point of the 2nd Amendment... a check, by 'the people', against tyranny?

Are we so evolved as a Society & Nation that this notion of a check against tyranny... is 'foolish' and a silly relic...? We do (currently) see dozens and dozens of Countries around the world where there is rampant oppression by dictatorships, quasi governments, political parties, royal families... over the freedoms and "inalienable rights" of their people... So are we 'above all that', now well into our 3rd century as a Nation?

House Democrats Push Ban on 'High Capacity' Magazines and 205 Different Firearms

Magazine capacity is perhaps the clearest tangible measure of where our Nation stands on this... After all, what use is an "assault rifle" if it can only be used with 'tiny' capacity mags... Is having an armed citizenry... 'armed commensurately' with that of the 'civilian' authority policing them, a bygone notion? Do our remaining 90's something elder's notions of the Wiemar Republic, no longer apply here...?
The assault style rifle (which is the new code word for them -- they are really carbines not rifles but most people have never touched a gun and don't know what a carbine is) is primarily aimed (no pun intended) at others with their assault style rifles.

The high cap mag is primarily aimed at others with their high cap mags.

With Pandora's Box opened, there is no way to put the genie back into the bottle.

Assault rifles and high cap mags are here to stay.

You better get yours fast.

Here goes another buying spree for assault rifles and high cap mags by American consumers. Same as before.

Americans have owned guns since this country was founded. So I ask again, why didn't we have school shootings when the country was more conservative?

I've explained my point. I suggest you look at other factors at play for further insights.

I am guessing it is because parents beat their kids more back in the day, and therefore the kids back then were more submissive.

Got a better guess ??

I've explained my point. I suggest you look at other factors at play for further insights.
Shifting the burden. Fallacy.

Shifting the burden. Fallacy.

There is no burden to shift, dope. I was clear and concise in my point. Trashman was not.

Huh?

You don’t know the Bible very well.

We are under the law of grace since the resurrection of Christ.

Most of that stuff does not apply.

Exactly. When the Bible first came out, it was good to say in the Ten Commandments, "Do not kill, do not steal, do not bear false witness, honor thy father and mother, etc." It was novel at the time. But stoning non-virgins or disobedient children, or owning slaves has become antiquated. That is what's wrong with these gun-loving nuts quoting the Second Amendment all the time!
Not to mention the fundamental differences between "shall not kill" vs "shall not murder". I generally ignore the fake Indian.

You haven't explained anything. There is no conservative policy of "putting guns in hands". It's fully up to the individual whether or not they want to own one.

You want to take that right away.
Because it's an easy fix.
Instead of taking a look at what the left has done to erode the moral character of this nation.
Because that'd be hard.

Forum List

Back