Are you good enough to be a Muslim?

I'll pass. I'd rather not screw up my metabolism...

And I'll make a cheese cake to add to Syrenn's Torture Buffet.

mmmm......and fresh baked cookies!!!

how about i make cinnamon rolls....and just torture you.

:lol:

I find it interesting that all of the foods you are trying to "tempt" him with are sugary foods that are horrible for you. It also shows I think a bit of a misconception of the type of hunger that he is talking about. It is a type of hunger characterized by malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies which don't make you crave sweet foods, but instead make you crave foods that have those nutrients contained within them (a biological way of making sure we eat what we need). The fact that you are tying essentially nutrition-less foods to the practice rather showcases that you have missed the entire point of it.

Which as a side note seems also to be the case with some Islamic populations, particularly in the Gulf region where grocery bills tend to skyrocket during Ramadan because while people fast during the day they tend to also gorge to excess at night.

You got that right.
My breakfast always consists of bread or something of the like but with something more interesting on it.
The last couple of days, we've been experimenting with product lines so tea has been larger than normal.

However, wrongly in my humble opinion, some people prepare feasts for their meals and waste piles of food by doing so.
This is entirely against the idea of Ramadan because you should be making special effort to help, not eat like a pig and waste something that others can't ever hope to afford.

One feast I have no objection to is held every evening by my local mosque.
They prepare a massive pile of food and invite those who would never normally eat so well to join them as guests after prayers.
It costs a small fortune to put this on and all the cash comes from local people.

As for the temptation of sugary foods, this tongue in cheek attempt to have a pop at me shows the lack of understanding and the need for people to have a go at fasting.

Back to my challenge - Does anyone think they can manage a day without eating or drinking and are you brave enough to try?

I find it interesting that all of the foods you are trying to "tempt" him with are sugary foods that are horrible for you. It also shows I think a bit of a misconception of the type of hunger that he is talking about. It is a type of hunger characterized by malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies which don't make you crave sweet foods, but instead make you crave foods that have those nutrients contained within them (a biological way of making sure we eat what we need). The fact that you are tying essentially nutrition-less foods to the practice rather showcases that you have missed the entire point of it.

Which as a side note seems also to be the case with some Islamic populations, particularly in the Gulf region where grocery bills tend to skyrocket during Ramadan because while people fast during the day they tend to also gorge to excess at night.

lol... see the other thread. You are missing the idea of it all......

OK, the thread title is a slight wind up but the topic is more serious.

This month is the Muslim holy month of Ramadan where all (Well, almost all) Muslims should fast in daylight hours.

Apart from all the religious stuff about fasting, it should remind us what it's like to be hungry and make us consider the people who are unable to eat because they're simply too poor to afford food.

Of course, not all Muslims who should fast, do so but the vast majority do.

Here's the challenge.

I ask you to take breakfast before sun up but not eat or drink anything until sundown.
If you manage, you'll have a pretty good idea what it's like to be hungry and have no hope of buying food.

With that thought - go out and be nice to someone.

Must be tough being a Muslim in Iceland. Daylight 19+ hours!!! :eek:

Sunrise and Sunset for Iceland ? Reykjavik ? coming days

This month is the Muslim holy month of Ramadan where all (Well, almost all) Muslims should fast in daylight hours.

Apart from all the religious stuff about fasting, it should remind us what it's like to be hungry and make us consider the people who are unable to eat because they're simply too poor to afford food.

Here's the challenge.

I ask you to take breakfast before sun up but not eat or drink anything until sundown.
If you manage, you'll have a pretty good idea what it's like to be hungry and have no hope of buying food.

If I wasn't working, I could manage that easily, but when you work, you get hungry, and when you get hungry, you get angry and bad tempered.

I have never taken part in Ramadan. One day I will, once I have moved out of home and am free to practice my religion away from those who would mock it.

You got that right.
My breakfast always consists of bread or something of the like but with something more interesting on it.
The last couple of days, we've been experimenting with product lines so tea has been larger than normal.

However, wrongly in my humble opinion, some people prepare feasts for their meals and waste piles of food by doing so.
This is entirely against the idea of Ramadan because you should be making special effort to help, not eat like a pig and waste something that others can't ever hope to afford.

One feast I have no objection to is held every evening by my local mosque.
They prepare a massive pile of food and invite those who would never normally eat so well to join them as guests after prayers.
It costs a small fortune to put this on and all the cash comes from local people.

As for the temptation of sugary foods, this tongue in cheek attempt to have a pop at me shows the lack of understanding and the need for people to have a go at fasting.

Back to my challenge - Does anyone think they can manage a day without eating or drinking and are you brave enough to try?

Two or three times each year I go 24 hours without food but not without water. During Ramadan a few years back I did go through one entire daytime period without food or drink and it was rough, I mean really rough. In fact, I failed in my first attempt. I made sure I was awake before sunup so I would experience the entire fasting period (I thought it would be cheating to sleep through part of it), but sometime during the middle of the day, out of habit I went to the kitchen sink and filled a glass with water. Unfortunately, I took a swallow before I remembered what I was trying to do.

There is no doubt that Muslims take their faith seriously. Their commitment to fasting and daily prayer rituals are extremely demanding. I don't think I am capable of doing the Ramadan routine, but that does not prove a physical or mental weakness on my part. You have a faith-based motivation that I lack, and that is why you can do what I cannot. I am certain that if I were to become a Muslim, Ramadan would not be a problem. I would probably look forward to it.

Here's the challenge.

Sorry.................but Muslims aren't the only religion that holds a fast. Jews do it, Buddhists do it, and even Hindus do it.

Does that make Muslims better than the others because they bring more attention to it?

Nope, it doesn't.

And yeah...................I've gone hungry before, sometimes for philosophical reasons, sometimes because I just felt like not eating for a while, sometimes it was because I was sick, and other times it was because my family was too poor to afford food.

Does that mean I don't understand hunger as well as someone who makes a whole spiritual show about it?

I do. Hunger is hunger.

Here's the challenge.

If I wasn't working, I could manage that easily, but when you work, you get hungry, and when you get hungry, you get angry and bad tempered.

I have never taken part in Ramadan. One day I will, once I have moved out of home and am free to practice my religion away from those who would mock it.

odd. When I work i dont think about eating. Much easier to fast on a working day because i dont think about it.

Fasting alone does not a good Muslim make.
To be a devout Muslim, you must accept the following:
1. Shariah Law.
2. The Hadith.
3. Have no infidels as friends (for to be their friends is to be of them, per the Quran).
4. Muhammad's latter teachings supercede his earlier teachings of peace.
5. A woman's testimony is worth half that of a man's in court.
6. A woman must have four male witnesses to prove a rape.
7. Once the children reach a specific age, they will automatically be given to the man in a custody battle, no matter how retched the man is.
8. Marriage and sex with little girls is acceptable, once they have had their first period (pedophiles should like that one).
9. If you leave the religion, killing you is permitted.
10. Stoning your neighbor for adultry, is permitted.
11. Chopping off the hands for theft is permitted.
12. You must pray five times per day.
The list could go on and on, but you get the idea. So, does fasting make you a good Muslim? Not if you don't practise the other tenets.
Bottom line, Muslims don't belong in civilized society. They're barbarians.

Fasting alone does not a good Muslim make.
To be a devout Muslim, you must accept the following:
1. Shariah Law.
2. The Hadith.
3. Have no infidels as friends (for to be their friends is to be of them, per the Quran).
4. Muhammad's latter teachings supercede his earlier teachings of peace.
5. A woman's testimony is worth half that of a man's in court.
6. A woman must have four male witnesses to prove a rape.
7. Once the children reach a specific age, they will automatically be given to the man in a custody battle, no matter how retched the man is.
8. Marriage and sex with little girls is acceptable, once they have had their first period (pedophiles should like that one).
9. If you leave the religion, killing you is permitted.
10. Stoning your neighbor for adultry, is permitted.
11. Chopping off the hands for theft is permitted.
12. You must pray five times per day.
The list could go on and on, but you get the idea. So, does fasting make you a good Muslim? Not if you don't practise the other tenets.
Bottom line, Muslims don't belong in civilized society. They're barbarians.

My question is, why are women only considered to be half of the worth of a man?

I spent 20 years in the U.S. Navy, and many of the women I worked with were my equals or betters. And, if they were my better, I learned from them as to how to be a decent Sailor.

Matter of fact, it served me well, as the last 2 tours of my career were both independent duty tours (one on an MSC vessel, and the following one at a MEPS).

It doesn't really matter what gender your leader is. If they're good, they're good. If not, they're not.

I've known many women who were great leaders, and I've known a couple of men who were shitty at their job and should have been sent back to the civilian community.

Doesn't matter your gender, it matters if you know what you're doing, and can you teach that same thing to those you are leading?

Here's the challenge.

For one day it's easy.

When you have to do it for a whole month its more difficult

Here's the challenge.

For one day it's easy.

Same thing I've said about politicians who think they can live on minimum wage. It's easy to do for a week, do it for a month and it's hard.

Do it for a year, and they'll say it's impossible.

Here's the challenge.

Must be tough being a Muslim in Iceland. Daylight 19+ hours!!! :eek:

Sunrise and Sunset for Iceland ? Reykjavik ? coming days

Screw that, in northern Alaska/Canada day can last MONTHS!!!!

Screw that, in northern Alaska/Canada day can last MONTHS!!!!
In northern locations where the sun never really sets for long durations.

It has been ruled the days can be divided equally into 12hr. days and 12hr. nights.

In order to meet the intentions and requirements of fasting during Ramadan. .. :cool:

Here's the challenge.

For one day it's easy.

Tell me about it - worse when something tosses a spanner into the works and naffs up your dinner plans.
I had to hag on an extra 45 minutes this evening because the taxi bringing my wife to the shopping centre was playing about.

My question is, why are women only considered to be half of the worth of a man?

They aren't. He just copy and pasted some list that doesn't really have much to do with Islam.

What it comes down to is the school of thought that one adheres to in Islam. Some are fine with female testimony, others require two women to be considered reliable, and others won't accept it at all regardless of the number of women. So as you can see his list really only addresses that middle school of thought.

More and more Muslims though are moving away from the four formal schools of thought, so it is really up to the individual to decide for themselves or for the community / state to decide for themselves. The Quran says fairly little about women in the area of legal testimony.

It all depends on how you interpret Sura 2:282, It is a post-Hijra scripture, which means it tends to address (and this one does) a specific case, so contextuality becomes important when looking at theological implications. One doesn't have to believe that a woman's testimony is equal to half of a mans in order to be a faithful Muslim, or to follow the edicts of the Quran.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back