Arizona, 19 firefighters dead

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
19 wildfire fighters died today fighting a fire in Arizona. Our hearts, sympathy and grief goes out to the families of the brave men and women that fight the wildfires in this nation.

Yes indeed. I worked as a Hot Shot during the summer to help pay my way through college. Dirty, hot, dangerous work. My heart go's out to the families of the lost....

19 wildfire fighters died today fighting a fire in Arizona. Our hearts, sympathy and grief goes out to the families of the brave men and women that fight the wildfires in this nation.

God, that is sad news. My thoughts are with their families - and everyone affected by these fires. Stay safe.

When I worked for the Forest Service on a core drill, and doing seismic survey, we fought fire during the summer. Did several small fires and two crown fires. Then they found out that I could fix machinery, and I never got out of fire camp again. In spite of the danger and extreme conditions, I really enjoyed fire fighting. Kind of the same adrenilin rush as war, with no guilt afterwards.

And many of the people that I met, like the Hot Shots and Helitack crews were young men and women that I admired intensly. Their dedication and skills were exemplary.

Losing an entire crew means someone fucked up big time. They had better start investigating this real quick.

Very sad news for Americans, but for conservatives it means 19 less government pensions......

All members of the Granite Mountain Hotshots. 20 members... only one survivor. Could you even imagine losing your whole team? Looks like they were caught while trying to deploy their fire shelters. Very tragic.

Heroes': 19 elite firefighters killed battling Arizona blaze

'For now, we mourn': Few answers after 19 killed in Arizona wildfire - U.S. News

From personal experiance, a fire can change directions and intensity in less than a minute. If you are not in the open, the shelters do you little good unless the fire goes over you very quickly. This was not the case where this crew was at. Literally, when that fire turned and blew up, they had no chance at all. The way that fire burned, they not only were killed by the heat, but had no oxygen to breathe.

For anyone that has every fought wildland fires that were crowning, you look at this kind of tragedy and say to yourself, "there but for the grace of God". The West is in for a fire summer this year, and many more of our best young people will be risking their lives to save our forests and homes this summer. Even for us old agnostics, our prayers and appreciation go with them.

I write the truth and you call me 'retard'?

You know NOTHING about truth.. You are a tool of your political views.. Try it again.
See who supports your "1%" view.. You ARE a minority.

Bless the families of these GOVT civil servants.

So it's your contention that conservatives don't harp on government jobs and pensions?

btw; Real conservatives are rich, usually white males that vote to reduce their taxes. Sean Hannity comes to mind.

Middle class conservatives are miserly and bitter.

I'll make sure that I bring up the dead fire fighters every time you harp on government employees....OK?

Forum List

Back