Armor Graveyard

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
05-tank_cemetary_kuwait.jpg

How many millions of dollars worth of just plain metals lie rusting in the sands of Kuwait? The results of The Gulf War. Pictures courtesy of Bring the Heat, Bring the Stupid blog who linked to this @ Tank Graveyard in Kuwait | Barnorama

How many billions more are we going to leave behind in Afghanistan or Pakistan? We have no way to get thousands of pieces of equipment out of there. And, Afghan forces, in spite of all our efforts to train them, will simply not have the skills to keep them in operation.

I wonder why some international salvage company doesn't move in for scrap recovery. :eusa_whistle:

How many millions of dollars worth of just plain metals lie rusting in the sands of Kuwait? The results of The Gulf War. Pictures courtesy of Bring the Heat, Bring the Stupid blog who linked to this @ Tank Graveyard in Kuwait | Barnorama

How many billions more are we going to leave behind in Afghanistan or Pakistan? We have no way to get thousands of pieces of equipment out of there. And, Afghan forces, in spite of all our efforts to train them, will simply not have the skills to keep them in operation.

I wonder why some international salvage company doesn't move in for scrap recovery. :eusa_whistle:
After WWII there were dozens of small islands in the Pacific literally covered with airplanes, tanks and vehicles. The Government said it wouldnt be cost effective to bring them home.

It will likely cost more to bring them back home to the U.S than the metal is worth.

they need to recycle that scrap into plows, pipes, rebar, cars, railroads, etc.
Devote energy to building something positive.

toastman,

Where is home?

It will likely cost more to bring them back home to the U.S than the metal is worth.
(COMMENT)

Most of what I see in the picture is Soviet era junk. It's home is in Iraq.

Most Respectfully,
R

My bad, I was under the impression that there were some Abrahams tanks in there

Only 23 M1A1s were taken out of service in the Persian Gulf[2] and one of these losses resulted in crew deaths from Iraqi fire. Some others took minor combat damage, with little effect on their operational readiness. Very few Abrams tanks were hit by enemy fire, and there was only one fatality, along with a handful of woundings as a result.

History of the M1 Abrams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If it had been worth it, someone would have.

Surprisingly enough scrapped tanks are not worth very much. Figure each one has about 20,000 bucks in steel. Even the Chinese would have a hard time sailing a ship over there, hovering up the scrap, taking it back to China and making a buck. Even at their slave wage level.

Forum List

Back