Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

I think I would soak/wash the thread prior to using it. Maybe in a vinegar solution..doesn't vinegar help set dye?

And do some research into color fastness of various threads before you choose.

Maybe contact a redwork/handwork group and ask for their input. I have found facebook is a wonderful way to network with hobbyists and artisans! See if there's a facebook group and ask to join, then pose the dilemma.

Good suggestion! I didn't even think of that. I have some left over thread. Maybe I'll do some experimenting, soaking, putting it on some white cloth after it dries, then washing. I would really like to have that dark red cross stitch quilt. That red is the only one I have ever had to run. I have used strong colors on others, so not sure why the red does that.

I really liked the Asia section of Disney and those little square market umbrellas with fringe sewn on them. I have finally found one and I am going to get it and put that heavy Victorian fringe on it like they had on theirs. All of their little market umbrellas had it in the Asia section.

IMG_3987.jpg

Here is the one I found online that I plan to buy:

Outdoor Square Market Umbrella in Sunbrella® Celadon - Frontgate

Had to post the link, I can't get the pic to take. I was going to paint my wicker this shade of green, but it has rained every day this summer so I haven't been able to do that. I plan to clean it before winter sets in and maybe I can get it painted next summer. We are sure to have a dry summer at some point.

Those little square umbrellas are expensive.

Last edited:
I remember my mother and mother in law doing 'soaks' of things that were not color fast. Was it salt? Vinegar? Both? One after the other. I don't recall, but likely washing the thread in warm water until it no longer fades, then doing a soak would do the trick.

I remember my mother and mother in law doing 'soaks' of things that were not color fast. Was it salt? Vinegar? Both? One after the other. I don't recall, but likely washing the thread in warm water until it no longer fades, then doing a soak would do the trick.

Well, first I read
In home-ec (30 years ago and then some) we were taught to use salt and vinegar in a cold rinse cycle then lay flat to dry after dying. After than, always wash in cold.

Okay, but then I found

FAQ: Is there any way to "set" dye in purchased clothing?

Which was moreso related to clothing.

So further search regarding thread specifically led me here

Stitchers' Paradise: Bleeding Thread Colors Article

Wow! Did you make that?

Yes. I always do one when I fly. It has helped me overcome my fear of flying. Below is a detail from the one I did when I went to Philly. You can see the row of backward stitches done on take off. LOL. This time on take off, I actually had forgotten to fasten my seat belt. These little projects have a calming Zen like effect.

Even the bejeweled frame looks Celtic in its design. You couldn't have picked a more beautiful way to display your beautiful work, Sunshine. :) It's just pleasing in every way.

OK...where is [MENTION=29697]freedombecki[/MENTION] I'm getting worried here!

Sans warning, computer and phone server went down since around Friday. I've been sweating blood for an hour trying to get it back online. Computers are not my forte! :rolleyes:

I found out when we called the mother-in-law who just turned 93 September 12. I finally went to my sister's house and called her to let her know we were okay yesterday, and a belated happy birthday. We made 5 trips to town to try to get service restored, hearing one bit o' blarney after another. Don't ask. :evil:

All is well. Finished the red fields and furrows quilt (thought I posted it) and finished a red log cabin geese in formation today while the computer was out.

I have two hours' worth of mail I have to read and respond.

~ Love and apologies to all. ;)

I really liked the Asia section of Disney and those little square market umbrellas with fringe sewn on them. I have finally found one and I am going to get it and put that heavy Victorian fringe on it like they had on theirs. All of their little market umbrellas had it in the Asia section.

IMG_3987.jpg

Here is the one I found online that I plan to buy:

Outdoor Square Market Umbrella in Sunbrella® Celadon - Frontgate

Had to post the link, I can't get the pic to take. I was going to paint my wicker this shade of green, but it has rained every day this summer so I haven't been able to do that. I plan to clean it before winter sets in and maybe I can get it painted next summer. We are sure to have a dry summer at some point.

Those little square umbrellas are expensive.
That's a fab example, and I love the picture.

Finally! Scans have been done.

On this quilt top, the geese were paired seven deep to make a quilt top for anyone from toddler age through college dorm or pup tent cot. It measures 42x70, give or take a couple of inches.

And the top is ready to go to the quilters of my dear Charity Bee sisters, who have so kindly accepted my tops to quilt for their charitable purposes.

Below are scans of the upper left corner with credits and a couple of the geese, which really are larger than the scanner bed:

Attachments

• $Geese pairs Formation1 Log Cabin.jpg
    $Geese pairs Formation1 Log Cabin.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 13
  • $Geese pairs Formation2 Log Cabin.jpg
    $Geese pairs Formation2 Log Cabin.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 13
  • $Geese pairs Formation3 Log Cabin.jpg
    $Geese pairs Formation3 Log Cabin.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 13
Well, we'll see how the day goes. I'm having to split my attention between working on this top for charity and elder care of my sweet husband who has dementia that is worse this year than last year. I'm having to do 3 or 4 loads of sheets every week now, even with his Depends. It has to be done, and there's no getting around that aspect of sanitation.

He deserves whatever it takes to keep him at home as long as I can. He gave up everything to help me start a business years ago, and I owe him back all I have. He never quit believing in me as long as he had his apples all in a row. Now that he's failing, I've got to pull his weight, and mind you it's tough being spoiled for 40 years before being called on, but he's overdue for some major effort on my part. I've beat back pain to almost nothing to selfishly contribute things to our community--selfish because of pride--but I can't stop the process he is going through but I can strive to make it more pleasant than he would have with paid caregivers who have been known to come to work mad at the world, willing to make somebody pay the price for their anger and misery compared to others. As long as I have health and breath, their whipping boy is not gonna be him. When he wasn't doing his best at work, he was at home planning good things for Math Counts Engineering Society work and served as a ruling elder in Presbyterian churches for 40 years, doing whatever nobody else wanted to do and pinch hitting for volunteers who didn't show up for one reason or another. He was there for a lot of people, and he was there for me. It's his turn to be served, and since he also moved away from all his friends so I wouldn't have to suffer pain in a cold climate, he came with love and willingness to start over. It's not his fault that he was injured some time in the past to cause his type of dementia. He is a thoroughly blameless man (when he isn't teasing the dog.) :lol:

Bless you. My parents made a promise to care for each other, regardless. My mom was the one that went down that dark path, and it took her from a rageful, unforgiving shrew back to a time when she loved the man, lived and died for him.

One Friday before her mind was mostly gone, she thought it was their wedding day. She was so happy and excited. She couldn't sleep until he hugged and kissed her good night - and she had despised him for the better part of the last forty years. He remains grateful that they had those last few years of mutual love before she disappeared into silence.

Well, we'll see how the day goes. I'm having to split my attention between working on this top for charity and elder care of my sweet husband who has dementia that is worse this year than last year. I'm having to do 3 or 4 loads of sheets every week now, even with his Depends. It has to be done, and there's no getting around that aspect of sanitation.

He deserves whatever it takes to keep him at home as long as I can. He gave up everything to help me start a business years ago, and I owe him back all I have. He never quit believing in me as long as he had his apples all in a row. Now that he's failing, I've got to pull his weight, and mind you it's tough being spoiled for 40 years before being called on, but he's overdue for some major effort on my part. I've beat back pain to almost nothing to selfishly contribute things to our community--selfish because of pride--but I can't stop the process he is going through but I can strive to make it more pleasant than he would have with paid caregivers who have been known to come to work mad at the world, willing to make somebody pay the price for their anger and misery compared to others. As long as I have health and breath, their whipping boy is not gonna be him. When he wasn't doing his best at work, he was at home planning good things for Math Counts Engineering Society work and served as a ruling elder in Presbyterian churches for 40 years, doing whatever nobody else wanted to do and pinch hitting for volunteers who didn't show up for one reason or another. He was there for a lot of people, and he was there for me. It's his turn to be served, and since he also moved away from all his friends so I wouldn't have to suffer pain in a cold climate, he came with love and willingness to start over. It's not his fault that he was injured some time in the past to cause his type of dementia. He is a thoroughly blameless man (when he isn't teasing the dog.) :lol:

Bless you. My parents made a promise to care for each other, regardless. My mom was the one that went down that dark path, and it took her from a rageful, unforgiving shrew back to a time when she loved the man, lived and died for him.

One Friday before her mind was mostly gone, she thought it was their wedding day. She was so happy and excited. She couldn't sleep until he hugged and kissed her good night - and she had despised him for the better part of the last forty years. He remains grateful that they had those last few years of mutual love before she disappeared into silence.
I'm so sorry for the loss. Dementia can start and go on for a long time before people around the sufferer are aware what is causing their unfathomable meanness. A lot of war survivors may have received concussions that were not detectable by field medics, and they may have passed off their subsequent headaches as something other than what was hidden beneath. It can start innocently by a parent throwing a baby up into the air and catching it, or by shaking a child for misbehavior (shaken baby syndrome). Some kids are hit by cars and their symptoms go unnoticed for decades or passed off as something else by friends and loved ones until their normal life is cut short by such egregious behaviors they could get arrested for them if done in a public place. A large percentage of prisoners have head injury in their past, prior to when arrest records began.

The brain is fragile. It pays to protect children from stupidity by taking a parenting class which hopefully addresses the issue of when discipline becomes abuse. If that became part of junior high school curriculum through high school, people in the next generation might have fewer prisoners to support, fewer criminally insane, and healthier aging parents than we have today. Just sayin'. :eusa_whistle:

I'm so sorry for the loss. Dementia can start and go on for a long time before people around the sufferer are aware what is causing their unfathomable meanness. A lot of war survivors may have received concussions that were not detectable by field medics, and they may have passed off their subsequent headaches as something other than what was hidden beneath. It can start innocently by a parent throwing a baby up into the air and catching it, or by shaking a child for misbehavior (shaken baby syndrome). Some kids are hit by cars and their symptoms go unnoticed for decades or passed off as something else by friends and loved ones until their normal life is cut short by such egregious behaviors they could get arrested for them if done in a public place. A large percentage of prisoners have head injury in their past, prior to when arrest records began.

The brain is fragile. It pays to protect children from stupidity by taking a parenting class which hopefully addresses the issue of when discipline becomes abuse. If that became part of junior high school curriculum through high school, people in the next generation might have fewer prisoners to support, fewer criminally insane, and healthier aging parents than we have today. Just sayin'. :eusa_whistle:

My mom was mentally ill, always. Undiagnosed, untreated. Lots and lots of ... abuse, bordering on torture. So - yeah. Can't blame the disease.

When my daughter saw her nana for the first time since the disease took hold, she started crying because it was the first time she could remember my mom looking at her without hate, censure, disappointment, or any of a number of negative emotions being involved.

My daughter is second-generation scapegoat.

And I found an example of a Geese formation quilt, although a much larger size than my humble cot-sized Geese pair formation red log cabin quilt in which the wingtips touch. The wing tips in this quilt, found at Michigan State University's museum collection of pioneer quilts, did not touch each other but are separated by a light-colored sashing print instead:

logcabin-12.jpg

Last edited:
And I found an example of a Geese formation quilt, although a much larger size than my humble cot-sized Geese pair formation red log cabin quilt in which the wingtips touch. The wing tips in this quilt, found at Michigan State University's museum collection of pioneer quilts, did not touch each other but are separated by a light-colored sashing print instead:

logcabin-12.jpg

It's very Christmasy-looking to me.

Becky, is your husband a veteran? The VA has what is called 'aid and attendance' for veterans like him. They will pay someone to come into the home and help you. They also have a new benefit and I can't recall the name of it. They will actually pay a family member to care for the incapacitated veteran in the home. My nephew quit his job 3 years ago to care for his elderly mother and father, and I have helped him get connected up for that one. It will be hard for him to get back in the work force, so the money will really help out in that house.

When I was in nursing school, my advisor was a psych nurse. She volunteered in a nursing home one day a week to keep her med surg skills up. She said there is always something comical happening. Well, as fate would have it when I became an NP, I tested in adult and geriatric. I always found work in that area, and not having the skills other than basic in child and adolescent was never a problem. When I was at the VA I had some few remaining WWII vets. One came in with his wife and daughter. He sat there hugging his wife saying, 'this is my sweetheart.' The daughter was standing behind them laughing her head off and mouthed, 'they fought like cats and dogs.' LOL

When I went to work there as an NP, I had to sign a paper that said, 'I understand that the majority of my caseload with be geriatric.' (A lot of people just don't like working with the elderly, I guess.) After several weeks, I still couldn't figure that out. Where were all those 'geriatric' patients? Then it came to me in a flash!: OMG! They are MY age!

Becky, is your husband a veteran? The VA has what is called 'aid and attendance' for veterans like him. They will pay someone to come into the home and help you. They also have a new benefit and I can't recall the name of it. They will actually pay a family member to care for the incapacitated veteran in the home. My nephew quit his job 3 years ago to care for his elderly mother and father, and I have helped him get connected up for that one. It will be hard for him to get back in the work force, so the money will really help out in that house.
No, he had polio as a child, and when he went to enlist, they turned him away. So no service for him, although he wanted to serve. So he went to engineering school and served his country in other ways. ;)

Completed the block areas of a Dirty Windows Log Cabin quilt early this morning. Time to do the borders. C ya with a scan later. :)

It's sure nice having all those completed squares. It only takes a day if I stick with it. I've managed to spread this one over about 3. :lol:

Wow! the outer border picked was a lightweight blend (bleh!) so I had to line it with a cotton percale to make it technically good to work with. It was too pretty to throw away, and I used some of it up on another quilt, also by lining. Somehow, I managed to make this into a real hard job by not thinking ahead. :lmao: It took 3 hours. It should have taken 45 minutes.

It measures around 42x62" give or take an inch. The extra work was worth it even if done time-ineffectively. The outer border feels like a million bucks. Also, I didn't like the title "dirty" windows. I did a little quilt-turning and noticed the light side resembled "snowy" windows of winter if one lives in country where one sees moisture snow days (aka blue snow). The moister snow clings to glass windows and melts its way down to the bottom before nature stabilizes it with below 32. At that point, the blue disappears, and it's a white color again. Man, if you live there snowy windows tell their own story about the weather outside. I guess that could be good if you like to ski and live near a good skiing slope.

Attachments

• $Snowy Windows1 Log Cabin.jpg
    $Snowy Windows1 Log Cabin.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 16
  • $Snowy Windows2 Log Cabin.jpg
    $Snowy Windows2 Log Cabin.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 16
  • $Snowy Windows3 Log Cabin.jpg
    $Snowy Windows3 Log Cabin.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Here are a couple of examples of small log cabin worked as:

Managed attachment1: "Dirty Windows" Log Cabin arrangement

Managed attachment2: "Snowy windows" Log Cabin arrangement

They were found when I loaded the two names in what I remembered as being named that, from who knows when in the past in separate searches. Note: if you are new to USMB, by clicking "Attached Thumbnails," the managed attachments saved in a "My Pictures" file come up in another tab in a large enough form in which you can see either prints or batiks more clearly than in the thumbnail versions. If you would like to post something at USMB by using the "Managed Attachments" button in the advanced reply block, you can practice in the "XXX File in Arts and crafts that I initially set up for practicing silly arts without using any pictures, just centering and XXX for cross stitches. The only downside to that little schema was that the width and heighth of the "X" in the alphabet is not square and will result in an image such that you will have to view your bed quilt from a side angle on the bed, since the image is distorted 20% using the Verdana font. :muahaha:

You can access "XXX Arts" practice thread by clicking here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/arts-and-crafts/194513-xxx-arts.html

Attachments

• $Dirty Windows log cabin3.jpg
    $Dirty Windows log cabin3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 15
  • $Snowy Windows Log Cabin Quilt4.jpg
    $Snowy Windows Log Cabin Quilt4.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Forum List

Back