Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

3e28cba6-249d-45aa-90c9-76b6a942000f_zpse1eb14d9.jpg
I have bee carting this everywhere with me since last year; I have gotten stumped on colors, and whether I REALLY want to satin stitch everything, and exactly how I want to stitch it.. So far I've used a little of everything. I think I will find a different color for the swans but I think I'm going to satin stitch them, too. I might as well, I've gone this far....

I will just re-do the jam...I'll dump it into a pan, add a few more berries and another packet of pectin, and some more sugar. Or I'll do what syrenn keeps telling me to do, put it in a big enough pot and bring it up to a boil @ 240 or 210 or whatever it is for a full 10 minutes. It won't go to waste, I'll just end up with a lot more of it. I did the same thing with marmalade last year, ended up with a lot and it was yummy. Berries are still coming on, I was checking tonight...it was pouring yesterday. And I'm tired tonight, but I think I will probably get serious about it this weekend, might be the last weekend we have....

I might even make the swans...black! Or pink! forgive dirty spots, the basket has been abused for some months....
011_zpsd778774b.jpg

I might even make the swans...black! Or pink! forgive dirty spots, the basket has been abused for some months....
011_zpsd778774b.jpg

It's pretty, koshergrl!

If you worked the palest blue shadow under the white stitches, you wouldn't have to do all that work! (Leisure expert speaking) I mean, what can you expect from someone who does mainly machine work day in and day out. I'm truly tempted to do the next 11 butterflies in machine cotty thread with a sewing machine... no, I'm going to slug it out with errors of having to think while stitching and make the moaning into a comedy act! :lol:

Really pretty swans, koshergrl. Seems I've seen them even stitched in black or ash grey, but they come across as white because of the background ... or do they? This technique has not been done by me for years, and I'm not good at it yet. My favorite machine embroideries on white always were the light, pretty pastels. I can't imagine why I expected that royal blue to come across as a lake.

So glad you know what to do about the huckleberry jam. I'd still save a jar back for syrup on Swedish pancakes, though. :)

Last edited:
The first butterfly is finished but the block needs 3 more flowers done. I was hoping the tiny hoops I ordered would be here by now. :( *sigh* Oh, well.

Here's Day 4 on block 1 (all the block blue designs are the same.) I noticed my question on whether the blue would come out or not was answered today when I set aside the butterfly to eat lunch, and it somehow got moist in one area. The blue ran like a Turk, so I'm sure it will wash out now, if some food chemistry didn't set the color. :eusa_shifty:

Progress so far (huff, puff, huff, puff)

All I can say is koshergrl, it takes true grit to do what you do.

And Sunshine has true grit, too. She does cross stitch quilts and has completed one recently and plans on finishing her Christmas table cloth of red. I hope she has taken a picture for when she gets back and can show progress, if she's doing okay that is. She's on my perpetual prayer list, and she is so missed.

I have to admit, this finger jabber stuff is kind of fun for a change, but I'll never do too many of them by hand if I can find a machine way to do one. (I already have, just kidding!) I've just not shown my machine redwork here, I don't believe, and am not sure which box it's even in any more. I really need to organize my act. Oh, my goodness I see something pretty blooming out by the fence that looks like pale mauve roses. Probably just jimson weed, or something, and the hummingbird girl is outside the window eyeballing the orange trumpet flowers above. Sh'es adorable (girls in the bird world are on the dull side featherwise, but quite striking otherwise).

Back to square one:
ButterflyembroideryDay4block1_zps05fdf64f.jpg
Earlier progress on square one:​

Attachments

• $Butterfly embroidery.jpg
    $Butterfly embroidery.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 15
  • $Butterfly embroidery Day 2.jpg
    $Butterfly embroidery Day 2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 15
  • $Butterfly embroidery Day 3.jpg
    $Butterfly embroidery Day 3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The first butterfly is finished but the block needs 3 more flowers done. I was hoping the tiny hoops I ordered would be here by now. :( *sigh* Oh, well.

Here's Day 4 on block 1 (all the block blue designs are the same.) I noticed my question on whether the blue would come out or not was answered today when I set aside the butterfly to eat lunch, and it somehow got moist in one area. The blue ran like a Turk, so I'm sure it will wash out now, if some food chemistry didn't set the color. :eusa_shifty:

And Sunshine has true grit, too. She does cross stitch quilts and has completed one recently and plans on finishing her Christmas table cloth of red. I hope she has taken a picture for when she gets back and can show progress, if she's doing okay that is. She's on my perpetual prayer list, and she is so missed.

I have to admit, this finger jabber stuff is kind of fun for a change, but I'll never do too many of them by hand if I can find a machine way to do one. (I already have, just kidding!) I've just not shown my machine redwork here, I don't believe, and am not sure which box it's even in any more. I really need to organize my act. Oh, my goodness I see something pretty blooming out by the fence that looks like pale mauve roses. Probably just jimson weed, or something, and the hummingbird girl is outside the window eyeballing the orange trumpet flowers above. Sh'es adorable (girls in the bird world are on the dull side featherwise, but quite striking otherwise).

Back to square one:
attachment.php

Pretty pretty!

Back to square one:

My mom did embroidery. I like the look of monochromatic coming to life as the thread is added.

Back to square one:

Pretty pretty!
I like yours better, koshergrl. You mix colors so very, very well. The next one I do may be closer to the one that is pictured on the outside of the package of one square. Nowhere does it show a finished quilt from this pattern in the instructions, but it does show a beginner a stretch-corrected to the pattern warp and weft cutting system. The only trouble with that is, from experience, people stretch the quilt from side to side and top to bottom. I may affix the blends on top of another piece and then just do it the right way to start off with. This top is going to have to be washed after embroidering to get the blue out. That is something I had not anticipated originally. I thought maybe the blue was permanent, but today's experience tells me I will have to be careful not to take it back to the restaurant unprotected by plastic while I am eating and a waitress is serving. The table may have been wet, as I think I remember sitting down to a table where someone else had just eaten and left. We sit with a group, and often, it's musical chairs as one couple leaves and another shows up who likes the group. The waitress brought her wet rag and cleared off the crumbs after we'd already sat down to be with another pal. :D

Back to square one:

My mom did embroidery. I like the look of monochromatic coming to life as the thread is added.
Thanks, BDB. You're always welcome to scan any embroidery or other handwork or quilting here that a loved one did, if you were lucky enough to get any. I think a couple of guys from the coffee shop have shared their stuff, and @Mr. H. has been a guardian angel and brought us the website of his family's lady friend who is an amazing fiber artist who uses all sorts of wonderful techniques to show her modernistic work. A year or so ago, he brought her "old" website that showed her quasi-traditional stuff and traditional past works in quilting. Right now, she's up there with Picasso, and I bet her pieces if not already will be worth a mint in no time.

We used to have 3 men come to the shop regularly. One was a bronze sculptor and fine artist, name of Navarro, whose wife was a quilter, another man brought his out-of-town wife in, and he actually helped her with cutting, mapping out a design, and helped her with coloration when she wanted it. They were truly a team, and I loved to watch them create together when it was picking fabrics time at my shop. Another was just a guy who liked to do his own pillows, and he chose modern art at its simplest, and about colors he was picky, picky, picky, picky like me. I enjoyed his trips. He liked freedom of movement (another of my traits), so I let him roam to his hearts content, and he was thrifty, too, another... so it was fun to see if he could pick it all out for a pillow top for under $4 which was quite a lot less than the ladies. We always pick out a little more fabric for some reason to be sure the stash doesn't go away, or to share with friends who drop by and can't live without that little out-of-print remnant we can't remember what we were saving it for after 10 or 15 years. :lol: :lol: :lol:

/memory lane. Pardon my trip down there. :D

Last edited:
Am I looking at a quilt and a plate with the same pattern? Oh cracky...I see you are embroidering. Goodness...my eyes deceived me. Did I tell you my wife is German? She was a school trained men's tailor. But she can sew, knit and embroider. She also does silk scarves. She is so talented. She never worked a day in tailoring. She came to America, got her degree and is a 1st grade public school teacher.
Mrs. BR44 may have done her embroideries in a more professional-looking, beautiful, hardwood German hardwood frame or hoop, Bloodrock. She sounds delightfully pragmatic as well as artistic, too.

My hoop is inexpensive, clumsy, plastic. I didn't know if I would get through the first square. I still haven't, but made a little progress last night:
27678d1380147808-artful-homemade-quilts-have-a-way-butterfly-embroidery-day-3.jpg

She's a lot like you Becki. Very meticulous. She also made dollhouse furniture. I watched her work on a tiny grandfather clock (about 3 inches high) for about a month. She wasn't satisfied with the way it was going and started all over. I thought it was fine. She is quite the perfectionist. I don't have nearly that much patience.

QUOTE=Bloodrock44;7895104]
Am I looking at a quilt and a plate with the same pattern? Oh cracky...I see you are embroidering. Goodness...my eyes deceived me. Did I tell you my wife is German? She was a school trained men's tailor. But she can sew, knit and embroider. She also does silk scarves. She is so talented. She never worked a day in tailoring. She came to America, got her degree and is a 1st grade public school teacher.
Mrs. BR44 may have done her embroideries in a more professional-looking, beautiful, hardwood German hardwood frame or hoop, Bloodrock. She sounds delightfully pragmatic as well as artistic, too.

My hoop is inexpensive, clumsy, plastic. I didn't know if I would get through the first square. I still haven't, but made a little progress last night:

27678d1380147808-artful-homemade-quilts-have-a-way-butterfly-embroidery-day-3.jpg

She's a lot like you Becki. Very meticulous. She also made dollhouse furniture. I watched her work on a tiny grandfather clock (about 3 inches high) for about a month. She wasn't satisfied with the way it was going and started all over. I thought it was fine. She is quite the perfectionist. I don't have nearly that much patience.[/QUOTE]

She had the benefits of generations of excellence in the visual arts, Bloodrock.

I had the privilege of working with natives of Germany when my shop took on the local Pfaff dealership. They are wonderful people. Everything has to be perfect and precise. That is reflected in their amazing craftsmanship that centuries-old churches still make available by opening their doors to the public during tourist times. When we visited Germany, I couldn't believe the beautiful wood carvings decorating the shells of organs worthy of Mozart at the keyboard. The traditions are kept alive if one visits woodworking shops of Bavarian townships where people keep busy during long winters doing fabulous clocks and furniture. They're bright, intelligent folk, and I enjoyed the privilege of getting two trips to Germany in 1989 and later, around 1997. They provided trips to people for doing well selling their machines. I picked Pfaff because in the 60s, I worked in a garment factory, where they put me to setting zippers in swimsuits back when womens' swimwear had enough fabric in them to justify zippers. The German repairman would not tolerate machine abuse, and always visited newcomers to the factory their very first week for a lesson in keeping the machine clean and well-oiled for fewer trips to the repairs department. He expected strict adherence to his dear demands, and he had a way of getting it. ;) The company I worked for wanted top performance and no wasted time talking while working. That's why I can produce a ton of work in a shorter time than most seamstresses do. I had the benefit of the world's best teachers.

Last edited:

Back to square one:

Pretty pretty!
I like yours better, koshergrl. You mix colors so very, very well. The next one I do may be closer to the one that is pictured on the outside of the package of one square. Nowhere does it show a finished quilt from this pattern in the instructions, but it does show a beginner a stretch-corrected to the pattern warp and weft cutting system. The only trouble with that is, from experience, people stretch the quilt from side to side and top to bottom. I may affix the blends on top of another piece and then just do it the right way to start off with. This top is going to have to be washed after embroidering to get the blue out. That is something I had not anticipated originally. I thought maybe the blue was permanent, but today's experience tells me I will have to be careful not to take it back to the restaurant unprotected by plastic while I am eating and a waitress is serving. The table may have been wet, as I think I remember sitting down to a table where someone else had just eaten and left. We sit with a group, and often, it's musical chairs as one couple leaves and another shows up who likes the group. The waitress brought her wet rag and cleared off the crumbs after we'd already sat down to be with another pal. :D

That's one thing I don't understand. I thought there were kits,essentially, and you used the colors assigned (sort of like paint-by-number). But from what you said about KG - you all get to choose what colors will work best?

Pretty pretty!

That's one thing I don't understand. I thought there were kits,essentially, and you used the colors assigned (sort of like paint-by-number). But from what you said about KG - you all get to choose what colors will work best?
In the embroiderer's shopping world, there are packages that contained finished pillowcases with pictures of birds, flowers, wreaths, seasonal motifs, etc., and they provide a list usually of a couple of famous makers' embroidery thread color numbers if you want to make one like their illustration. That gives the embroiderer the opportunity to go to the store and buy those colors OR use from her stash of threads whatever colors match her décor. Often the color schemas are so appealing people will go buy the same colors. Others already know the colors they like to use and keep extra skeins around in their embroidery stash box, so they won't have to go buy more threads when they want to do something. I'm doing this one entirely for practicing the art of hand embroidery. Likely, I will go back to machine work, where I have stitches programmed into the machine that already do sophisticated stem stitches and a plethora of other types of stitches for specialized embroidery effects both embroidery and crazy-quilting stitches. One of my computer programs does exquisite blackwork patterns. A single-stitch redwork program is one where you can guide an applique foot over the stitches stamped on to embroidery products, and you can give a handwork seed-stitch look, stem-stitch look, a blanket stitch in all sizes and thread repeats, plus you can program in hokey, handmade-looking stitches if you want to make people think you slaved over an embroidery hoop by lantern light since you produced it a couple of days after the last "master" work. :lmao:

But doing hand embroidery now and then also brings me to a certain appreciation for sophisticated machine stitches at my disposal. I love it all, whether by hand or machine. It's just that I haven't done my fair share of embroidery with doing 2 straight years of charity quilts, mainly chain-sewed pieced creations and a few left=over applique works that didn't quite get finished but made bright and pretty window dressing details at my shop for 23 years, to sell fabrics and machines.

Later, good friends.

So are the dotted lines around the outside...french knots?

I LOVE french knots....if this is for a quilt, I would do them in french knots. Because they're so close together, you won't have to snip every single one....

I LOVE french knots....if this is for a quilt, I would do them in french knots. Because they're so close together, you won't have to snip every single one....
I think they were intended to be quilt lines, but I thought they'd make a nice frame. I don't know how I managed to kill 9 hours with this little finger-jabbing idea of mine, but I got two tiny dots of blood on it from my failure to use a thimble. I have to have something comfortable and may have to take a trip out of town tomorrow. There's a great shop in Brennan, one in Bryan, and our own shop who may or may not have a leather ringlet that has a small metal circle on the tip where you can meet the needle with something other than your sore finger. To finish this up to show Day 5 progress, I spent all afternoon up to ten minutes ago working on the first Butterfly, but I'm done with it, (at least I hope so,) and am ready to do another. Since these are nonsensical anyway, a red or ruby one would be fun to do, and I've been thinking about doing one the same color schema as the pink moths that are so lovely in coloration with a cream color on pleasant shades of bubblegum pink. I may have to take a day off until my bleeding fingers heal, and just do the darn roofs on those houses without the Shakespearean upper story.

Here's the embroidered block that is now done. I used a stem stitch all the way around the quilting lines:
attachment.php

Attachments

• $Butterfly embroidery Day 5 block 1.jpg
    $Butterfly embroidery Day 5 block 1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 32

I'm not fond of doing French knots. But instead of doing one in the center of the lazy daisies, I did 3 for the color. No one local has color 444 which is my favorite yellow, it's yellow like the brightest of sunflowers, so to achieve a reasonable yellow, I had to use color number 743, which the two closest shops both carry as their brightest yellow. I had everything at the shop, except picky customers, that is.

In Wyoming, the chain stores sold 100 most popular DMC colors at below cost, so I lowered my price too and never ever sold the 500 or so colors in the complete collection. They filled a dozen DMC wooden boxes from france, although I bought more to accommodate article 237 #50 DMC cotton machine embroidery threads. Then DMC closed the door on machine embroiderers to bring their 300 color group down to about 130 including variegated thread. :evil: I really hated that, because their thread is so perfect for Pfaff cross stitch programs of the prettiest flowers I ever saw in cross stitch. Oh well, that's water under the bridge. The new computers do not accept the European style software we had from the mid-90s until 4 years ago. So I have several thousand dollars worth of software I bought while a dealer that is useless for all practical purposes, and the computer repair shop doesn't know how to "fix" crashed computers without destroying all the programs you once had. Gosh, I miss the gal in Wyoming who could find and fix anything. She was a real genie and saved my computer twice. After she fixed it the last time, it didn't crash until after I moved four years ago.

Well, good night one and all. Humans crash too, and I'm about to fall asleep, sore-fingered, but happy to get block one out of my hair. :)

QUOTE=Bloodrock44;7895104]

She's a lot like you Becki. Very meticulous. She also made dollhouse furniture. I watched her work on a tiny grandfather clock (about 3 inches high) for about a month. She wasn't satisfied with the way it was going and started all over. I thought it was fine. She is quite the perfectionist. I don't have nearly that much patience.

She had the benefits of generations of excellence in the visual arts, Bloodrock.

Yes she did have the benefit of generations of excellence. As you know, in Germany one cannot just pick a profession and go work in it. You have to go to school for whatever profession you choose. Then you must serve an apprenticeship and then take a final exam which is administered by the guild of your profession. The final exam consists of a written and a hands on portion. If you fail the exam, you have to wait a year before retaking it. When my wife and I were dating, she was in her apprenticeship at a tailor shop and her exam was coming up. She was sleepless for days. Her hands on test was to make a 3 piece suit. Well she passed. Her father owned a car dealership and her sister was going into that business. She failed her hands on and had to wait a year before she passed. They don't fool around over there. That's why German workmanship is so good. Wish they had a system like that here.

Last edited:
Beautiful, becki. I have to make many loaves of bread today for breakfast tomorrow (baked french toast) and I have to make cakes for the kids...and my oldest and his family are coming but I intend to devote some time to embroidery tonight and MAYBE get thew sewing machines out tomorrow night and start on the quilts that i haven't started on from this summer. I'm also going to give the niece's unfinished quilt to my daughter and let her finish it. It's a perfect project for her, and she will get it done, I know.

So that's the plan. I will keep you posted! I'm coming out of my fall slump...got to the doc and got my thyroid meds re-upped, so don't feel quite so much like sleeping and eating. Constantly. Thank goodness. Next month, we start on my teeth...need some major work done (crowns and bridges, ikes) and the girl has to have a mole dealt with on her head, poor little podling (our nickname for her). TtYL & love to all...

Beautiful, becki. I have to make many loaves of bread today for breakfast tomorrow (baked french toast) and I have to make cakes for the kids...and my oldest and his family are coming but I intend to devote some time to embroidery tonight and MAYBE get thew sewing machines out tomorrow night and start on the quilts that i haven't started on from this summer. I'm also going to give the niece's unfinished quilt to my daughter and let her finish it. It's a perfect project for her, and she will get it done, I know.

So that's the plan. I will keep you posted! I'm coming out of my fall slump...got to the doc and got my thyroid meds re-upped, so don't feel quite so much like sleeping and eating. Constantly. Thank goodness. Next month, we start on my teeth...need some major work done (crowns and bridges, ikes) and the girl has to have a mole dealt with on her head, poor little podling (our nickname for her). TtYL & love to all...
Baked French Toast from homemade bread! Ummmm! :) Hope you have a wonderful time with the family, koshergrl! :)

Forum List

Back