Debate Now Can You Choose To Be Gay?

Is Homosexuality A Choice?

• Total voters
I am pretty much convinced people who are gay are born gay.

LOL, I am pretty much convinced to be unconvinced. To date, science tells us they have not found a 'gay' gene, and it might not be that simple. Maybe there is some sort of combination of genes that lends itself to differences in sexual preferences, and maybe not. How can we tell if a person was born gay or it was instilled by his/her environment? Some people are horny as hell, right? Is that genetic too? That entire issue of sexual preference/attitudes would appear to be very subjective.

The truth is that sexuality exists on a spectrum. Some men are more feminine and some women are more masculine. Despite this, society has always promoted natal gender, why?
Because we have always been more ignorant.

Now we understand that it isn't harmful. That's it is natural and is expected.

The truth is that sexuality exists on a spectrum. Some men are more feminine and some women are more masculine. Despite this, society has always promoted natal gender, why? Because sexuality is also part societal conditioning. In the past a 'Tom boy' was recognized as a girl who enjoyed doing boy stuff but, was still basically still female. Men who were more feminine (but also natal male) were attracted to this type of woman. Today, even the mention that a kid is 'uncomfortable' with their sex is taken as a reason to try to change their sex. It's an abomination and goes against nature.
The OP was quite specific that this topic does NOT include transgendering but sexual orientation only. Transgendering in my opinion comes from mental illness. Homosexuality does not.

LOL, I am pretty much convinced to be unconvinced. To date, science tells us they have not found a 'gay' gene, and it might not be that simple. Maybe there is some sort of combination of genes that lends itself to differences in sexual preferences, and maybe not. How can we tell if a person was born gay or it was instilled by his/her environment? Some people are horny as hell, right? Is that genetic too? That entire issue of sexual preference/attitudes would appear to be very subjective.
I go by what I have read written by experts on the subject and the experience of those gay people I know well enough that they have shared their experience with me. There is no identifiable autism gene either nor genes for many other human conditions that nobody would probably choose for themselves or a loved one.

I know the people I know who are gay all came from absolutely ordinary traditional homes and all have siblings--a few a LOT of siblings--who are not at all gay. To me that rules out environment or conditioning. They all knew they were different from an early age and most tried to deny the feelings they had until they gave up and admitted to themselves that they were gay.

Among identical or fraternal twins it is very uncommon for both to be gay.

Last edited:

«Can You Choose To Be Gay?»​

I guess we need a proper definition of homosexuality in order to answer the OP. I think each and every one of us would engage in a homosexual act if we were locked up in prison long enough because sooner or later we would feel an urge for an orgasm as a mental escape from incarceration. Yes or no? And it would eventually develop into sharing the moment with another human being. But does that make us "gay"? I am sure that if the experience is repeated for a large period of our lives that once we were released from prison we would find ourselves seeking out other men rather than women. Wouldn't it be an acquired behaviour and is that "a choice"? And isn't there a correlation to being confined to an all-boys boarding school just when puberty kicks in? Look to the UK for the answer to that question. Therein lies the answer to the OP.
Choice? Yes and no.

Forum List

Back