Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

<you must spread some reputation around before giving some to Sunshine again>

Wonderful pictures, Sunshine. I love the quilts you're sharing!

There will be a few more next weekend. I have trouble accomplishing anything during the week. But I didn't get them all posted. Most had ribbons, I believe, but mostly I took the ones I really liked.

There will be a few more next weekend. I have trouble accomplishing anything during the week. But I didn't get them all posted. Most had ribbons, I believe, but mostly I took the ones I really liked.
It's okay, Sunshine. You're likely to have a very unique week ahead, and I pray you have an easy transition to retiring after many, many years in the medical professional arena. Sending prayers and thoughts of strength and happy celebration your way. :)

Just do things as they come and no worries about anything here, because it's all good.

I'm looking at a day spent relaxing after completing a long task this past week with a happy outcome--a quilt top to share with my community's needs. :)

Fabrics were accumulated over the past couple of months from mainly Ebay, and a 2.5" stripe was used to make stripes sandwiched between a white-on-white confetti print also recently found as part of a 4-to-6 yard piece group of 50 white on white or off-white print. It was a nice break from the shipbuilding process and hope it will be a great quilt for a hugs baby. In addition to bright colors, there is also a rust bandana piece and chocolate, too. Yum! :)

Before getting back to the ships, one quilt is going to be made from those darn scraps. At least it's now half-size, but oh, there's enough there for 5 or 6 quilts, surely. It would be a brag to say no scraps were ever picked up, but that would not be true, but the pile is easily left over from bits and pieces of at least 50 small quilt tops. True story. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This scan series goes across an end one side to the other:

Attachments

• $1 Baby Stripe Bandana Colorful Quilt Top, 38x52.jpg
    $1 Baby Stripe Bandana Colorful Quilt Top, 38x52.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 43
  • $2 Baby Stripe Bandana Colorful Quilt Top, 38x52.jpg
    $2 Baby Stripe Bandana Colorful Quilt Top, 38x52.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 39
  • $3 Baby Stripe Bandana Colorful Quilt Top, 38x52.jpg
    $3 Baby Stripe Bandana Colorful Quilt Top, 38x52.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 46

It's okay, Sunshine. You're likely to have a very unique week ahead, and I pray you have an easy transition to retiring after many, many years in the medical professional arena. Sending prayers and thoughts of strength and happy celebration your way. :)

Just do things as they come and no worries about anything here, because it's all good.

To say the least!

Last year a shopping trip produced a half-price offer on some red white and blue charm squares that needed to be cleared so space could be given to newer merchandise. They wound up on my pile, and one of them ALMOST had enough to do a simple sashed square quilt, with adding a few 5" squares cut from my mammoth stash. ( :redface: ) I ran across the cutest square sash treatment that involved sewing on a 45-degree angled frame that could be fun to do since there are now 20 lights and 20 darks separated into two piles on the cutting table. Think the picture was saved, and it has NOTHIN' to do with red white and blue, it's just an idea for setting squares in a different way, and could add just enough intrigue to keep a waning attention span at alert (that quilt done this morning being a perfect example!)

When alertness fails, it's ripper thread city on the offending seam that went awry. Hm... Red white and blue with neutrals... eh, have to sleep on it. ;)

Good night, everyone!

Attachments

• $16-patch clever corner blocks.jpg
    $16-patch clever corner blocks.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 67
Those look 3 dimensional.
That's what gets me, too, Mr. H. Although the real dimensionalists are quilters who do something called "baby blocks." Some have carried the dimension angle to an extreme. 60-degree angles are not my forte, though. They're slow, painstaking, easy to mess up due to the odd bias that 60- and 120-degree stitching can be, made yet more difficult by warp and weft being most uncooperative. It's smarter to cut 1/3" seam allowances or 3/8" since few rulers have a marker for 1/3". That way, a wider foot can be used and there is slightly better control on angles with a wide base to work with, although not much, but even a slight improvement is better than nothing. :) Jinny Beyer masters those blocks, however, since she stitches as quickly by hand as average sewing machine people stitch on the machine. She doesn't waste time, and she's the best there is out there on account of her affinity for mathematics, of which her wonderful books approach plane geometry in a most intriguing way including simply folding paper to get a correct angle. She's a whiz in geometric shapes and shading. For years, her quilts dominated the best of show category nationally and internationally, then she began designing her own fabric lines to achieve the correct shading and color by establishing a long-running "Jinny Beyer Basics" with RJR Fabrics, a Los Angeles, California company. Her fabrics are internationally famous and most precious once they are no longer in print.

Here's one of her building blocks quilt capitalizing on dimensional properties for effect:

FB524621-9E6B-17C3-E7DA224EC531207A.jpg

Thanks, Mr. H. Today, I'm just a flubug with a headache though. I have no idea how I got the flu. I haven't been out of the house in a week. *sigh*

Earlier, I gave you a link to my friend's quilting website. She is quite into the abstract.
You however are an artist's artist.
Sorry to disappoint you, Mr. H. My little quilts don't hold a candle to your friend who is an artist in every good way there is. She gets out there, breaks rules having fun at it and forges a path for others to follow if they can keep up. ;)

Art doesn't get better than that. I'm just having fun breaking a few little bitty rules. Soon as this flu goes away, I'm gonna have some more fun, too, because today we aren't having any fun yet. :D

I ran into a blog in which a lady truly had a lot of fun with the theme by pushing a button on her software, she said.

Credits: Quilts + Color: March 2011

Attachments

• $redandwhitequiltexhibitinturquoise.jpg
    $redandwhitequiltexhibitinturquoise.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 33
  • $redandwhitequiltexhibitinblackandwhite.jpg
    $redandwhitequiltexhibitinblackandwhite.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 36
  • $redandwhitequiltexhibit.JPG
    $redandwhitequiltexhibit.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 38
Same blogger Quilts + Color: March 2011 said it was easy to do. My favorite is the royal blue color, though I like others, too. It's fun changing color schemes around to match a loved one's favorite color or just because you're tired of a color you spent the last 2 weeks slaving over to complete the top. Each one of her choices, if people truly had made quilts in white and that color, would have been a knockout. It's just that more people stick with red to the bitter end for some reason.

More:

Attachments

• $redandwhitequiltsingreen1.jpg
    $redandwhitequiltsingreen1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 34
  • $redwhiteinmagenta1.jpg
    $redwhiteinmagenta1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 40
  • $red=whitequiltsinblue.jpg
    $red=whitequiltsinblue.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 41
OK. My NEW blue Premax Optima embroidery scissors are missing. Now, I am a reasonable person. So, I know that no one is coming in my house with the alarm system set and making off with a set of embroider scissors while leaving jewelry and antiques. The cat is jealous when I stitch and I am now sure she has drug them off somewhere. She used to do that with my jewlelry I left lying on the counter. Now, two sets of scissors have vanished. SO, when I clean house after retirement I will be looking under everything in thi house that she can get under. She likes to slink into the closet a lot, so I have a suspicion I will find the 2 sets of scissors back in my closet. Sheesh! Now I'm using the gold ones and hey go in the drawer when I'm at work.

She also has figured out how to get the floss out from where I keep it. I find clumps of it that she has drug out and chewed. I know she thinks she can keep me from stitching if she can drag off all the stuff~

OK. My NEW blue Premax Optima embroidery scissors are missing. Now, I am a reasonable person. So, I know that no one is coming in my house with the alarm system set and making off with a set of embroider scissors while leaving jewelry and antiques. The cat is jealous when I stitch and I am now sure she has drug them off somewhere. She used to do that with my jewlelry I left lying on the counter. Now, two sets of scissors have vanished. SO, when I clean house after retirement I will be looking under everything in thi house that she can get under. She likes to slink into the closet a lot, so I have a suspicion I will find the 2 sets of scissors back in my closet. Sheesh! Now I'm using the gold ones and hey go in the drawer when I'm at work.

She also has figured out how to get the floss out from where I keep it. I find clumps of it that she has drug out and chewed. I know she thinks she can keep me from stitching if she can drag off all the stuff~
Mix a small amount of rosemary in a teaspoon of lemon. Daub the solution on the object cat needs to avoid. :muahaha:

Ginger works 90% of the time but 10% of the time, the cat will like it.

Pepper is also effective. I'm thinking liquid pepper.

If none of the above works, girl you need a metal detector for the duration of that cat's life!!!! :lmao:

Thanks for the story.

My cat now enjoys his own room, the conservatory. I told my husband if he doesn't keep two doors between me and the cat closed at all times, the potty machine, I mean, cat, would wind up at the shelter with a "barn cat" note stapled to his ear.

<giggle>

Mix a small amount of rosemary in a teaspoon of lemon. Daub the solution on the object cat needs to avoid. :muahaha:

If none of the above works, girl you need a metal detector for the duration of that cat's life!!!! :lmao:

Thanks for the story.

My cat now enjoys his own room, the conservatory. I told my husband if he doesn't keep two doors between me and the cat closed at all times, the potty machine, I mean, cat, would wind up at the shelter with a "barn cat" note stapled to his ear.

<giggle>

I have rosemary in my herb garden. Sometimes I feel like killing that cat!

Sunshine, I sure hope you find your scissors. Wonder where the cat is secreting away the loot

No idea. I will be emptying closets and giving the house a good going over. She used to take my jewelry under the bed. But the scissors are not under the bed. I sit in my bedroom chair or bed to stitch. That would be too easy fo rme to find. I'm told that a jealous cat can think of ways to prevent you from doing the thing it is jealous of, even to the extent of making you trip and fall down the stairs so you will have to stay home from work. I have no idea how many close calls I've had on the stairs because of her. I'm beginning to believe it.

Thanks for the story.

<giggle>

I have rosemary in my herb garden. Sometimes I feel like killing that cat!
The cat has it figured it out: negative attention is better than nothing. There doesn't seem to be a smiley that laughs and cries at the same time. *sigh*

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Forum List

Back