Universal Basic Income

"Refuse"

What we have here is a specious appeal to emotion that comes loaded with judgment of 10s of millions of people.
If by “here” you are addressing your own feeble reply, then you’re right.

If you’re attempting to comment on what I had posted, you’re wrong again.

Person A Is able and willing to go out and work hard every day to earn income to help support his or her family.

Person B may be able but is studiously unwilling to even try.

But hey. What the fuck? Right? Government should just spend oodles and boodles of the tax monies they confiscate from the productive folks, like Person A, to just give it to Person B.

And this is certainly going to encourage Person B to get up off his ass and go learn a real trade or skill. Right?

Hmm, I don't think it's going to he that extreme. Servers work off tips. We already have vending machines. Service jobs will not all be replaced by machines.

There will likely always be some demand for human contact, but as automation improves those jobs will become far and few between. We are already seeing the ordering kiosks at restaurants in place of a live cashier. We have the ATM machines and digital banking apps in place of the large banks with ten tellers. It's been happening slowly for a long time.

If by “here” you are addressing your own feeble reply, then you’re right.

If you’re attempting to comment on what I had posted, you’re wrong again.

Person A Is able and willing to go out and work hard every day to earn income to help support his or her family.

Person B may be able but is studiously unwilling to even try.

But hey. What the fuck? Right? Government should just spend oodles and boodles of the tax monies they confiscate from the productive folks, like Person A, to just give it to Person B.

And this is certainly going to encourage Person B to get up off his ass and go learn a real trade or skill. Right?
Yes, your sweeping judgment of 10s of millions of people was emotional and useless.

Even that will be done by machines at some point.
I'm optimistic about the future.

Machines have been replacing humans for centuries, but new technologies create new jobs and new opportunities.

PCs replaced millions of typists, and now a single worker can do what it took a hundred people to do half a century ago. But PCs have created a zillion new industries and jobs.

The kind of "AI" most people are using right now does not yet impress me. AI bots are just a glorified version of Google. They plagiarize existing date on the internet.

However, AI is also diagnosing illness, helping design new medicines, and just might cure a lot of diseases. That's something to be optimistic about.

If you bought NVIDIA a few years ago, you'd be a gazillionaire by now. But now that everyone sees that's where the money is, there are going to be a lot of competitors breaking into that market, and that's jobs.

However, I believe it is just a matter of time, and not much at that, before we move to a 30 hour workweek. And that will mean a lot mor leisure time.

I believe most of the jobs of the future will be in the leisure and entertainment sector.

There will likely always be some demand for human contact, but as automation improves those jobs will become far and few between. We are already seeing the ordering kiosks at restaurants in place of a live cashier. We have the ATM machines and digital banking apps in place of the large banks with ten tellers. It's been happening slowly for a long time.
Look at what happens when you call a large company for service -- you're immediately placed on to a fucking phone tree.

The quality of those horrific things is usually shit, but it doesn't matter. They're a massive cost savings and all their competitors are using them.

Look at what happens when you call a large company for service -- you're immediately placed on to a fucking phone tree.

The quality of those horrific things is usually shit, but it doesn't matter. They're a massive cost savings and all their competitors are using them.
If you notice, it's already starting to become an advertising point for companies to say you can call in and talk to a human.

I just don't agree. A machine can pour and hand you a drink, but that's not all a human server does. That's a vending machine.
There will soon be artificial companions which will mimic all human interactions.

These will be a boon to nursing homes and hospices to keep the elderly and dying from being lonely. Same for the handicapped.

Another change coming will be subscriptions to car services like you have for your cell phone now. A self-driving car will pick you up and take you to work (if you are unfortunate enough not to have a remote job) and then return you home. A self-driving car will take you to the grocery store (if you aren't buying your groceries online and having them delivered by drone).

Houses will no longer have driveways.

Think about it. You use your car maybe two hours a day out of 24. That's really inefficient.

With car services, an automobile will be used about 23 hours of the day. That means less cars will need to be made.

Someone who knows how to drive a car will be as rare as someone who knows how to ride a horse today.

There will soon be artificial companions which will mimic all human interactions.
Which will only be available to the very richest of people who can afford both to purchase and to maintain them.

We have that already, really.

Hell, didlos have been around for 100,000 years. Yet still I see all these damn marriage announcements and STDs around, haha

If you notice, it's already starting to become an advertising point for companies to say you can call in and talk to a human.
Man, there are few things which piss me off more than automated phone menus.

"If this is an emergency, hang up and dial 911. Now you must listen to two minutes of our privacy policy..."

Man, there are few things which piss me off more than automated phone menus.

"If this is an emergency, hang up and dial 911. Now you must listen to two minutes of our privacy policy..."
"We are experiencing a higher than average call volume ."

Every time.

Uh, that isn't how averages work...

Which will only be available to the very richest of people who can afford both to purchase and to maintain them.
Initially, yes. That's true for all new technologies. Only the rich could afford a horseless carriage until Henry Ford came along.

But eventually everyone will have their own fully functioning Scarlett Johansson.

How you use it is no one else's business.

I should live that long...

That's true for all new technologies.
Like, yachts?

A bit different, but you get my point. The more complicated a machine, the more resources to make and maintain it are required.

Some things just don't scale down that way. Like, space travel. You aren't getting around the fuel and equipment requirements. Laws of physics dictate them.

Same for a very complicated bit of machinery.

Forum List

Back