Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way

And here are the Yin-Yang turbulent sea squares, sewn into the row beneath the hull:

(and it's back to the sewing machine.) Yesterday, after mowing the second time for a hour out in the nearest field south of the house, I experienced sever leg cramps. It's going to be artichokes at lunch today and tomorrow. They're supposed to help reduce leg and foot pain. :doubt:

Hope everyone has a great day.

<hugs>

Attachments

• $4 Storm At Sea Tall Ships Yin-Yang Waves.jpg
    $4 Storm At Sea Tall Ships Yin-Yang Waves.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 37
  • $5 Storm At Sea Tall Ships Yin-Yang Waves.jpg
    $5 Storm At Sea Tall Ships Yin-Yang Waves.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 37
  • $6 Storm At Sea Tall Ships Yin-Yang Waves.jpg
    $6 Storm At Sea Tall Ships Yin-Yang Waves.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 33
Thank you for using red for the ship; I find my palatte always ends up running to browns lol...I have to battle the impulse and it just sort of sneaks up on me. I have a lot of really ugly brown and red material in my stash right now that I'm trying to figure out what to do with and wondering WHY THE HECK DID I BUY THAT? Who wants brown quilts or blankets? Besides me, I mean.

Crazies are fun! Thanks for sharing a find, Koshergrl!

Finally settled on a name for the current quilt--Storm at Sea Tall Ship. Here are the horizontal Hull row and the Masts row, the only row that is only 1 log high.

Gorgeous!

Crazies are fun! Thanks for sharing a find, Koshergrl!

Finally settled on a name for the current quilt--Storm at Sea Tall Ship. Here are the horizontal Hull row and the Masts row, the only row that is only 1 log high.

Fabulous.

Thanks, sunshine! I took the morning off to mow half the strip up to the front entrance at the farm. I got about half of it done (pushing a mower) in 1.5 hours, and after a brief lunch and online visit, decided to take ten before getting back to the sails, which are going to be a blue print on white for Storm at Sea. Unfortunately, 10 minutes turned into a full-recuperative sleep in which I awoke refreshed from the morning assault on my muscles that pushing a lawn more is for a fibromyalgiac. :lol: I'll be lucky to get the sails' strips cut out and ready to go by tomorrow. I could sew the 3 horizontal rows together before doing that. I'm glad they showed up well here. I managed to space completion of the two rows over 2 days between other household duties. For 2 nights I had screaming out loud leg cramps, but today, I feel like a new person. I reread my Centrum vitamin instructions and found that I should have been taking one in the morning and one at night. It seems to bring the extra B vitamins that people like me need, plus magnesium that squares a lot of my pain away. That may have been why the leg cramps ceased. I'm glad, because they drain you of your blood's vitality, it seems.

My doctor actually prescribed special potassium chloride to prevent the diuretic for swollen feet that started last year from depleting my body of potassium, which prevents problems associated with my autoimmune pain syndrome. She reminds me of a good Sherlock-Holmes type person who tracks down all possible ills before they start. I'm really glad to have her when I can't help myself, and I came really close to calling her after yesterday's egregious full-body, neck to toe cramp series. Then I reread my Centrum Cardio label. No wonder I was in pain. The diuretic probably takes out more than just potassium, and it was my fault because I know better. If I'm late taking the diuretic, my feet swell and a day later going downstairs is not an option. :lol:

So any progress on the Storm at Sea Tall Ship will have to wait till the morning. Oh, heavens, it's almost 8:30pm right now, and tomorrow the tall grass from farm-to-market road to my front lawn awaits completion. That's just on the north side. The South Side of the little extended drive awaits after that! I must be bad, there's no rest for the wicked. My sweetie is to the point now, where he can't remember why I sent him outside to mow the lawn. Some days he can, some days, I have to follow him around like a mama duck follows her little chicks. Other days, he actually seems to be able to follow through with a plan. The neurologist who treated him said his dementia was likely caused from a blow to the head in his youth from the separation that was seen on the scan. He can still do higher math, is starting to read his alumni news again, and likes action movies especially on DTV. Somewhere, he forgot about his lifelong love of watching sports. I have to stay on him about taking his medicine, though. He never was much of a morning person, and following him downstairs and making sure the medicine is gone and a full cup of water is drained before leaving him to his devices is something that just has to be done. Otherwise, He could become dehydrated, or worse, confused if he is thinking about anything else, which does not take much. He's still a big sweetie, though, his lifelong trademark in business. When I met him his friends described him as "a nice guy." He still is from inside to out. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for using red for the ship; I find my palatte always ends up running to browns lol...I have to battle the impulse and it just sort of sneaks up on me. I have a lot of really ugly brown and red material in my stash right now that I'm trying to figure out what to do with and wondering WHY THE HECK DID I BUY THAT? Who wants brown quilts or blankets? Besides me, I mean.
I came very close to using brown in this one, but decided Spoonman's quilt should be RW&B since the sky was a storm, it needed perking up anyway. Sunshine's red sails is in the planning stage, and your daughter's pink and blue quilt is neatly folded with the 2 other quilts. You love boating so much, I was wanting to do a ship with rainbow sails after that, which was my first choice anyway because I was so fascinated with Ezekiel's scripture that said "The Lord God's presence is as the colors of the bow in the sky." Mariners have always had a fondness for rainbows in their world, and I think that's pretty much why when you see sailing ships, many of their sails are rainbow-striped, and so pretty teamed with Caribbean waters. So since that one follows Sunshine's, let me know if you want a repeat red color. If I dedicate them to a person here in their moniker name, they know that quilt is designated for a child at the shelter and won't sell it to the public for scholarships and batting. So the more I can dedicate in people's names, the more that people who need a little something pretty in their life who wouldn't otherwise have it get it through the hard work of quilting that Charity Bees do after I complete the tops. I'm so grateful for them. Someday, they will likely be good and tired of me and my little doings, though. It won't be the first time. My dear friend at the Handicapped Day Care Center finally told me (after 6 years of donating 60 quilts a year for their naptime program) that OSHA moved in and forced them to bleach the quilts once a week. We're talking chlorine bleach here, and that it truly made her feel bad to mistreat the quilts when Orvus neutral-pH soap and water is all other people use to clean their quilts.

So after that, I started making squad car quilts for the cops to carry around in their cruisers for when they needed to wrap a shock victim in a blanket. The secretary of the police chief really loved them and started making her own quilts from getting a good sewing machine to make them with and then a professional quilting machine to quilt them with. In return, I got so much experience making log cabin quilts, I know every little trick in the book for making the work go fast. Back then, I could make a queen-sized quilt top in 1" log cabins in 3 days and quilt it on my quilter in 1 day, we're talking 10 and 8 hour days, of course. But when you're working to complete a charity quilt show, you have like zero social life, so my husband and I learned to fit our schedules around him doing church business and business books at night and me working in front of the sewing machine for quite a few years after the kids grew up and taking on school and careers.

I went online after Clinton was re-elected to find out why the American people voted that way. Since our lives were church-centered, we weren't prepared for all that Washington stuff on television 24-7 and the war that's now being leveled on church folk like us whose lives were devoted to community. I well know I spent many hours doing all I could for homeless shelters, supporting the art guild and symphony, sewing for the community college daycare and handicapped center, squad car quilts, and for victims of fire through our city's fire marshall, hospice, etc. That's been my whole life, and online, people call you names you may never have ever spoken to anyone else because your opinion challenges theirs. It takes a few years to develop thick skin and fire back with :popcorn: and :lmao:

Oh, yes, koshergrl: tell me what color scheme the quilt in your honor is to be. It has to follow the rainbow sails, quilt, though, before I lose my verve, keeping in mind it's probably 4 or 5 quilts away. Once in a while, I have to clear the table and make a quilt from a melee hill of scraps, just to get rid of them. My tall pile is now around 10" where it was about 4 months ago. I did some sorting on days I did nothing else.

Last edited:
Where were we? Oh, yes, the Storm at Sea Ship:

Stern
25667d1367590602t-artful-homemade-quilts-have-a-way-3-storm-at-sea-tall-ships-stern.jpg

Scans below:

1. Vague piecing sequence for the sail block that starts with a 1.5x1.5" light color sail material "log" in the center at ends with a 7.5" piece log at the 13th log slot (not shown due to space).

2. The finished sail that does show the 7.5" log, and it is 7.5" square. Make 17 of the sail for the half-square schema, several pages back at the beginning of the redwork sail boats.

3. The finished Stormy Sky block that also measures 7.5x7.5."

Attachments

• $7 Storm At Sea Tall Ships Sail Joining Sequence Start.jpg
    $7 Storm At Sea Tall Ships Sail Joining Sequence Start.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 32
  • $8 Storm At Sea Tall Ships Make 17 Sail With Sky Squares.jpg
    $8 Storm At Sea Tall Ships Make 17 Sail With Sky Squares.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 33
  • $9 Storm At Sea Tall Ships Make 19 Full Skies.jpg
    $9 Storm At Sea Tall Ships Make 19 Full Skies.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 33
Today is Airing of the Quilts Day at Walker County Courthouse in Huntsville, Texas. If you live in the vicinity, take the Eleventh Street Exit and head East toward Old Downtown Huntsville. If you go west, you will be in Bryan, Texas, in about an hour and some change. :muahaha: The next airing will be in two years.

This is a picture of a previous year:

1000x66625916870416_ss_265_9922_8jpg.jpg

Oh, yes,, and quilts now are everywhere. This must've been one of the first years. You'll probably see a couple of hundred quilts hanging all over the Square.

Last edited:
I came very close to using brown in this one, but decided Spoonman's quilt should be RW&B since the sky was a storm, it needed perking up anyway. Sunshine's red sails is in the planning stage, and your daughter's pink and blue quilt is neatly folded with the 2 other quilts. You love boating so much, I was wanting to do a ship with rainbow sails after that, which was my first choice anyway because I was so fascinated with Ezekiel's scripture that said "The Lord God's presence is as the colors of the bow in the sky." Mariners have always had a fondness for rainbows in their world, and I think that's pretty much why when you see sailing ships, many of their sails are rainbow-striped, and so pretty teamed with Caribbean waters. So since that one follows Sunshine's, let me know if you want a repeat red color. If I dedicate them to a person here in their moniker name, they know that quilt is designated for a child at the shelter and won't sell it to the public for scholarships and batting. So the more I can dedicate in people's names, the more that people who need a little something pretty in their life who wouldn't otherwise have it get it through the hard work of quilting that Charity Bees do after I complete the tops. I'm so grateful for them. Someday, they will likely be good and tired of me and my little doings, though. It won't be the first time. My dear friend at the Handicapped Day Care Center finally told me (after 6 years of donating 60 quilts a year for their naptime program) that OSHA moved in and forced them to bleach the quilts once a week. We're talking chlorine bleach here, and that it truly made her feel bad to mistreat the quilts when Orvus neutral-pH soap and water is all other people use to clean their quilts.

So after that, I started making squad car quilts for the cops to carry around in their cruisers for when they needed to wrap a shock victim in a blanket. The secretary of the police chief really loved them and started making her own quilts from getting a good sewing machine to make them with and then a professional quilting machine to quilt them with. In return, I got so much experience making log cabin quilts, I know every little trick in the book for making the work go fast. Back then, I could make a queen-sized quilt top in 1" log cabins in 3 days and quilt it on my quilter in 1 day, we're talking 10 and 8 hour days, of course. But when you're working to complete a charity quilt show, you have like zero social life, so my husband and I learned to fit our schedules around him doing church business and business books at night and me working in front of the sewing machine for quite a few years after the kids grew up and taking on school and careers.

I went online after Clinton was re-elected to find out why the American people voted that way. Since our lives were church-centered, we weren't prepared for all that Washington stuff on television 24-7 and the war that's now being leveled on church folk like us whose lives were devoted to community. I well know I spent many hours doing all I could for homeless shelters, supporting the art guild and symphony, sewing for the community college daycare and handicapped center, squad car quilts, and for victims of fire through our city's fire marshall, hospice, etc. That's been my whole life, and online, people call you names you may never have ever spoken to anyone else because your opinion challenges theirs. It takes a few years to develop thick skin and fire back with :popcorn: and :lmao:

Oh, yes, koshergrl: tell me what color scheme the quilt in your honor is to be. It has to follow the rainbow sails, quilt, though, before I lose my verve, keeping in mind it's probably 4 or 5 quilts away. Once in a while, I have to clear the table and make a quilt from a melee hill of scraps, just to get rid of them. My tall pile is now around 10" where it was about 4 months ago. I did some sorting on days I did nothing else.

A funny story about rainbows: When I travel, I always put rainbow luggage straps on my luggage, you know, just in case someone else has neon green luggage, so they won't get it mixed up! Well, when I went to DC last year, my friend didn't like them. She said people would say we were gay! LOL. I've always used rainbow luggage straps. I can always spot when they put my luggage on the plane and when it comes around the carousel.

Worked on sail-making (Heheh) and still have to cut more strips. About 6 more strips ought to do it. I'm on the 5" group, and I did a couple of rows on the all-blue squares too. Oops! eyes are twitching. Time for a low-dose aspirin.

That'll be fun, Sunshine, and that's a great idea about the rainbow colored bands on your suitcase for quick identification.

Well, I wanted to work on the quilt all day, but it was so gorgeous, and while mowing a little I noticed one patch of blackberries up front by the garden plot actually showing quite a few blackberries. But they're so tiny, I only collected enough to put in a couple of small bowls, which is all the 2 of us need. Didn't have any ice cream, so a teaspoon of sugar and a few tablespoons of milk made it a treat. They're still a little tart because they're first crop, but I noticed we have scarlet and summer tanagers about, mockingbirds, bluebirds, trillers and singers, probably eating ten times as many as I harvested this afternoon. Oh, well, we love the music. :)

Last edited:
About the sum total of my accomplishment last night was affixing a couple of logs each to the 36 squares left to finish AND CUTTING TWICE AS MANY 4 AND 5" STRIPS as needed by having buried the ones I cut earlier but lost track of due to not having finished clearing the cutting table of all its clutter. On the plane of the cutting mat, a 10x12x40 takes up exactly as much room as a 20x12x40" long snake of leftovers, and when you push the bottom of the pile back a little, the top pieces fall forward, covering whatever also got pushed back, such as a pile of 4.5 and 5.5" stack of 50 logs that are only 7/8" tall. :lol: :lol: :lol:
One of these days when I don't have anything to do....

That'll be fun, Sunshine, and that's a great idea about the rainbow colored bands on your suitcase for quick identification.

Well, I wanted to work on the quilt all day, but it was so gorgeous, and while mowing a little I noticed one patch of blackberries up front by the garden plot actually showing quite a few blackberries. But they're so tiny, I only collected enough to put in a couple of small bowls, which is all the 2 of us need. Didn't have any ice cream, so a teaspoon of sugar and a few tablespoons of milk made it a treat. They're still a little tart because they're first crop, but I noticed we have scarlet and summer tanagers about, mockingbirds, bluebirds, trillers and singers, probably eating ten times as many as I harvested this afternoon. Oh, well, we love the music. :)

I like the wild ones best. The seeds are too big in the tame ones.

OK, Here you go. I'll do these in 3 or 4 different hitches today. This one got some kind of 'mention'. It is 'The Hobbit.' The docent said that last year the person who made this had won best of show for 'Lord of the Rings.' The rest, except for a couple, I really don't know what they were called. I didn't make the effor to retain it.

QuiltShow017_zps0afd7ccc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This one was involved and had a lot of work, but I couldn't call it 'pretty.'

Last edited:
I liked this one. It reminded me of those Queen Ann bedspreads:

You can't see it because I got close to get the pattern, but it had a red ribbon.

Forum List

Back