As many as 10 dead in shooting at Batman premiere in Denver: reports

How do you do that without infringing on the rights of innocent people? It's already illegal to own a firearm if you're a convicted felon or have a sufficient psychiatric history. The guy in the theater shooting had no prior criminal or psychiatric history. There's already a national database where a gun store can run an instant background check on you. This guy passed it because he had a clean record with no priors.

The only thing more that can be done is to make thought-crime illegal.

Only talking about our country, it's easy to own a gun.
You have to do a short lesson on gun safety - about 2 hours as I recall.
Then you're free to go.
You have to show your license whenever you buy a gun or ammunition.

There is no register of how many or what guns you own - a law that was changed about 25 years ago.
However, if you want to own a handgun or an automatic (and I think military style firearms as well) then you need to register as a collector which imposes a whole heap of extra checks and responsibilities.

Carrying a weapon in a public place without good cause is an offence.
Carrying a weapon of any sort for self-defence is an offence.
Using or presenting a gun for self defence in any situation will result in a trial.

So, we don't consider our liberties are curtailed because we can own a gun for sporting reasons, which is the only real reason that I can think of for owning one in New Zealand.

Using or presenting a gun for self defence in any situation will result in a trial.
That is really fucked up. I guess it's more civilized to be hacked up with a knife?

Knife crime threatening to become an epidemic | Television New Zealand | News, Sport, Weather, TV ONE, TV2 | TVNZ | NATIONAL News

The fucked up part is that he can't even use a knife for self defense, he has to let them kill him.

How do you do that without infringing on the rights of innocent people? It's already illegal to own a firearm if you're a convicted felon or have a sufficient psychiatric history. The guy in the theater shooting had no prior criminal or psychiatric history. There's already a national database where a gun store can run an instant background check on you. This guy passed it because he had a clean record with no priors.

The only thing more that can be done is to make thought-crime illegal.

Then you're free to go.

There is no register of how many or what guns you own - a law that was changed about 25 years ago.
However, if you want to own a handgun or an automatic (and I think military style firearms as well) then you need to register as a collector which imposes a whole heap of extra checks and responsibilities.

So, we don't consider our liberties are curtailed because we can own a gun for sporting reasons, which is the only real reason that I can think of for owning one in New Zealand.

It is illegal to defend yourself in New Zealand? If someone breaks into your home you are required to simply let them kill you and rape your wife? And you think gun laws in the US are stupid?

They call us Americans crazy.:eusa_whistle:

Then you're free to go.

It is illegal to defend yourself in New Zealand? If someone breaks into your home you are required to simply let them kill you and rape your wife? And you think gun laws in the US are stupid?

They call us Americans crazy.:eusa_whistle:

you both are definitely loud and stupid.

Election year? No appetite for gun-law reform? That's a shame.

It's a very bad joke to kill innocent people or to be a governor whose government allows anyone to get so much firepower for their own personal unsupervised use and allows that unnecessary fire-power to be used against defenceless citizens.

Compare-the-Colorado-Jokers--100823.jpg

Photoshop: Compare the Colorado jokers

I actually support the 2nd amendment to the constitution of the USA - the right bear arms as part of a well-regulated militia.

The whole "well-regulated militia" part gets forgotten by the NRA and gun-rights nuts who want to take a good idea too far to the point that individuals can have way more firepower than they ever need for self-defence or to defend their own family in their own home.

To my mind, "well-regulated" would mean regulating against personal automatic weapons. Automatic weapons should be limited to organised police or community defence militia forces on duty. I would support say Church or University or town militias - who would be required to be insured to pay out compensation if any of their guns got misused.

For home defence, single shot shotguns or bolt-action hunting rifles is plenty. No-one needs a personal automatic or semi-automatic assault rifle at home. Such weapons should be held in militia arsenals and only used when militia personnel are on supervised duty.

I don't have all the details sorted out but I just think the laws are too slack right now and it's not what the 2nd amendment calls for.

I know your tactic it's not pro second amendment. The militia consist of the PEOPLE.
The second amendment does not say
A well regulated militia by congress being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
It says
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Now why would the founders put control of the militia in the hands of the government if the second amendment was supposed to prevent tyranny of the government?

Regulate back then does not mean what it does today.

Not comparing anything with anything, but rather adressing the ways in which to help stop a mass killing (yes the wounded are also included in the numbers as well, so it best not to try and water down the numbers with just ten killed), from being so efficient and precise by a radical killer in these ways.

Newpolitics used the term cost benefit analysis. Unless you want to fracking defend his position stay the frack out of a conversation you are not paying attention to.

To not explore ways to stop this without banning weapons or guns from responsible citizens as being the key always, is to place ones head in the sand until the day comes when the liberals finally reach their fictional blissful state of government being in total control, in which they think is somehow a good thing, in which they hope for someday to come out of all of this.

More people die as a result of car accidents than gun violence. Do you know of anyone that has ever called for a ban of cars as a result of someone doing something stupid with them? Does anyone demand that the government do background checks on drivers every time someone runs a red light and kills a child? Does anyone demand that they keep crazy people from buying a car?

Until you are willing to treat cars like guns you have no business discussing the issues here. I want everyone to be able to buy a gun as easily as they buy a car.

Guns are not the problem. If they want to kill someone they'll find another way.

In Uganda and Somalia they just hack each other to pieces with machetes.

Somebody wants to kill a bunch of people he can just use rat-poison.

Uganda and Somalia are failed states... Is that really the best comparison you can come up with?

Fact is, people with guns can kill a lot easier than people without guns. This is just a fact of life. Which is why we should sensibly restrict gun ownership to responsible people with a real need.

Not crazy people.

Not gun nuts "compensating" for their "Shortcomings".

Not comparing anything with anything, but rather adressing the ways in which to help stop a mass killing (yes the wounded are also included in the numbers as well, so it best not to try and water down the numbers with just ten killed), from being so efficient and precise by a radical killer in these ways.

Newpolitics used the term cost benefit analysis. Unless you want to fracking defend his position stay the frack out of a conversation you are not paying attention to.

To not explore ways to stop this without banning weapons or guns from responsible citizens as being the key always, is to place ones head in the sand until the day comes when the liberals finally reach their fictional blissful state of government being in total control, in which they think is somehow a good thing, in which they hope for someday to come out of all of this.

More people die as a result of car accidents than gun violence. Do you know of anyone that has ever called for a ban of cars as a result of someone doing something stupid with them? Does anyone demand that the government do background checks on drivers every time someone runs a red light and kills a child? Does anyone demand that they keep crazy people from buying a car?

Until you are willing to treat cars like guns you have no business discussing the issues here. I want everyone to be able to buy a gun as easily as they buy a car.

Does this mean you are for gun registration? Cars have to be registered. Does this mean gun owners should be licensed? Drivers need a license. Does this mean you want firearms safety inspected? Cars need that. Does this mean that gun owners should carry liability insurance? Drivers need that. Should gun owners have their license to own guns taken away if drunk? Maybe guns should be treated like cars.

Does this mean you are for gun registration? Cars have to be registered. Does this mean gun owners should be licensed? Drivers need a license. Does this mean you want firearms safety inspected? Cars need that. Does this mean that gun owners should carry liability insurance? Drivers need that. Should gun owners have their license to own guns taken away if drunk? Maybe guns should be treated like cars.

Cars are only required to be registered if you use them on public roads, want to try again?

Cars are only required to be registered if you use them on public roads, want to try again?

So, is your argument that guns should only be required to be registered if you shoot them in public theaters?

How are people killed in car accidents if they are not driving them on public roads? Do you have red lights out in the middle of cow pastures that you run through?

How are people killed in car accidents if they are not driving them on public roads? Do you have red lights out in the middle of cow pastures that you run through?

You've obviously never been around a farm. Many have trucks for "farm use". There have been several fatal tractor rollovers in my area this year.

Cars don't kill people in one mass killing by the hands of a gunman armed to the teeth, so you are a complete moron to even equate the two in the same conversation...Just saying!

Oh and I will jump into any conversation I choose to, and I will respond to anyone who makes a post directed at me.... Don't ever suggest anyone excuse themselves from a conversation on this site, because who are you to make such a request in the first place ?

10 families might argue with you on that.
if it was here in Cali.....someone would have pulled a gun to shoot the guy.....and then he would have remembered he is not allowed to have bullets...:eusa_eh:

Doubtful, many were dressed up, and as at most theaters, many had sodas, candy popcorn, etc. Some were with children, some with lovers. The fantasy "I'D HAVE shot the ____" is just that, a fantasy. The killer planned well, a dark theater, with loud sounds, and an audience concentrating on the screen & their own lives, taken unaware.

cant believe you took what i said seriously....

There is no Constitiutional right to own a car. Driving a car is not a right, it is a privilege.

Cars don't kill people in one mass killing by the hands of a gunman armed to the teeth, so you are a complete moron to even equate the two in the same conversation...Just saying!

Oh and I will jump into any conversation I choose to, and I will respond to anyone who makes a post directed at me.... Don't ever suggest anyone excuse themselves from a conversation on this site, because who are you to make such a request in the first place ?

I'm more apt to listen to him over your nonsensical ramblings.

We live in a free society, as such we have responsibilities to others, it also has risks, are we willing to give up rights and liberty to falsely reduce risk?

Guns are not the problem. If they want to kill someone they'll find another way.

In Uganda and Somalia they just hack each other to pieces with machetes.

Somebody wants to kill a bunch of people he can just use rat-poison.

Uganda and Somalia are failed states... Is that really the best comparison you can come up with?

Fact is, people with guns can kill a lot easier than people without guns. This is just a fact of life. Which is why we should sensibly restrict gun ownership to responsible people with a real need.

Not crazy people.

Not gun nuts "compensating" for their "Shortcomings".

You can make a bomb out of common chemicals. The police are still trying to defuse all of the booby-traps in this pricks apartment.

If you want them going off all over the place go ahead and take away gun rights.

Last edited:

You are absolutely right, cars don't kill people, idiot drivers do.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxO4419tYsg]psycho plows through crowd - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_HWw8ifZcY]Driver runs over several cyclists ( Warning ) - YouTube[/ame]

The best smart technology to emplore first on weapons, would be a tracking device built into it, that is linked to a super computer back at central dispatch in all major cities (just like the ON-Star system that is in GM vehicles now). The device would alert dispatch by way of a flag being lit up red up on a screen once the gun is discharged. At the same time GPS would be activated giving the exact location of the address and person that discharged the weapon or gun.

All registered weapons would be brought to a designated location for GPS to be mounted on board the weapon free, and all confiscated weapons found in crimes or picked up off of the street will be introduced to the technology as well, and then re-sold to responsible gun owners with the new technology on board. The stock could be where the batteries will go that will operate the new technology (keeping the gun on line). These batteries would be kept current just like the batteries in ones smoke alarm or security system. If a gun goes off grid due to low batteries and such, then a call will be generated by dispatch, in order to find out what has happend to it.

Gun ranges and other authorized locations for shooting weapons could be listed on screen, and this would be in order that these locations would be accepted as proper locations for the guns to be used without prompting a response by dispatch once see the location of the gun being fired or a gun owner could simply call in the location prior to use. A temporary number/permit could be assigned to him or her for the location whether it is for hunting, skeet or target practice, where as a registration would be looked up and the authorization would be granted for that location if everything checks out properly.

If a gun is stolen, immediately it would be located by dispatch, where next an alert would be sounded to police in the area of the weapon's location.

If the tracking device is attemped to be removed without a proper tool or athorized method, the gun would be rendered non-usable or non-operational due to this attempt.

These are win win situations for legal responsible gun owners and law enforcement in battling this kind of epidemic going on in this nation now.

I'm more apt to listen to him over your nonsensical ramblings.

We live in a free society, as such we have responsibilities to others, it also has risks, are we willing to give up rights and liberty to falsely reduce risk?
I don't know, why don't you ask the families of the victims at that theater what they might think of your attitude on this.

Forum List

Back