Asian-American Student Has Near-Perfect 1590 out of 1600 SAT Score and a 4.65 GPA, Gets Ugly Shock After Applications to Elite Universities

Me, too! What I wonder is all the leftists insisting that Affirmative Action doesn’t help blacks get into schools they ordinarily wouldn’t qualify for, IF WHITE, will start screaming their bloody heads off.

It doesn't under the concept of what the future will be for anybody. Still the main point is just because they do not get into a school does not mean they will not be successful. Thus complaining because they got high scores and should be admitted based on test scores alone was is a false argument. Claiming discrimination is a false argument.
Something tells me you were never admitted to ANY school.

It doesn't under the concept of what the future will be for anybody. Still the main point is just because they do not get into a school does not mean they will not be successful. Thus complaining because they got high scores and should be admitted based on test scores alone was is a false argument. Claiming discrimination is a false argument.
Again, by that token, let the lower-scoring people go to the lesser school. As you say, they can still be successful. Why rob the seat from someone better than you?

Well, if not getting in to the better school does not stop someone (an Asian) who is outstanding from achieving things later in life, why can’t the black who couldn’t score high enough to enter the better school go to an average school, since he could still achieve things later in life?

Its not the top score that defines admission but the scores that school deems as the minimal accepted score. So if the minimum score is 90 then at the first hurdle all people who score above 90 makes the first cut. What follows is the other criteria that the school will use determine who makes it and who doesn't.

People are just focusing on the top score as being the only criteria for acceptance.

Students should know that many factors influence admission decisions, including:
  • Courses taken.
  • Grades received.
  • Class rank.
  • Standardized test scores.
  • Personal statements and essays.
  • Recommendations.
  • Extracurricular activities.
  • Interviews.

So top scores does not guarantee acceptance , it just makes the cut at one level. Other levels will be evaluated and they have to make the cut on other levels. There make be score attached to each level and then at the end it is all added up.

So theoretically using your assumptions if a person has the top score and has no recommendation that it does not matter as they have the top scores.

That is not the way it works. They want the complete picture of the person not just that they can study well and score high and is not discrimination.

Its not the top score that defines admission but the scores that school deems as the minimal accepted score. So if the minimum score is 90 then at the first hurdle all people who score above 90 makes the first cut. What follows is the other criteria that the school will use determine who makes it and who doesn't.

People are just focusing on the top score as being the only criteria for acceptance.

Students should know that many factors influence admission decisions, including:
  • Courses taken.
  • Grades received.
  • Class rank.
  • Standardized test scores.
  • Personal statements and essays.
  • Recommendations.
  • Extracurricular activities.
  • Interviews.

So top scores does not guarantee acceptance , it just makes the cut at one level. Other levels will be evaluated and they have to make the cut on other levels. There make be score attached to each level and then at the end it is all added up.

So theoretically using your assumptions if a person has the top score and has no recommendation that it does not matter as they have the top scores.

That is not the way it works. They want the complete picture of the person not just that they can study well and score high and is not discrimination.
It IS discrimination when the intent of the more lenient admissions requirements (such as abolishing the entrance exam because not enough blacks got a good enough score) is to specifically reduce the number of Asians and increase the number of blacks.

If you have 100 students with the same basic GPAs and test scores fighting for 10 spots what should the college use to differentiate between them if not extracurricular activities?

Oh, shit, let's see here....

Quality of the school

Quality of the teachers

Quality of the classes the students took

Quality of their work while attending those schools

Quality of their character, i.e., do they have a criminal history.

Oh, shit, let's see here....

Quality of the school

Quality of the teachers

Based on what scale?

Is the university supposed to send people to every high school to see if each teacher a kid had was a quality teacher?

Quality of the classes the students took

Quality of their work while attending those schools

Aka....their GPA. They already have that.

Quality of their character, i.e., do they have a criminal history.

Extracurricular activities can say a great deal about their character.

Again, by that token, let the lower-scoring people go to the lesser school. As you say, they can still be successful. Why rob the seat from someone better than you?
Let me ask you a question, are you saying that every white person in college got in on their own merit? Meaning they got in because they are smarter than every black person that applied to the same school.

Of course not. He’d have offers from several Ivy League schools.
Why is it that I never hear any of you right wing racist whine about all of the top black athletes getting into school. If Georgia's football team were all white do you think they would have won the Football National Championship? If UConn's basketball team was all white do you think they would have won the NCAA National Championship?

Based on what scale?

Is the university supposed to send people to every high school to see if each teacher a kid had was a quality teacher?

Aka....their GPA. They already have that.

Extracurricular activities can say a great deal about their character.

Based on the academic rigor, dumbass.

Why is it that I never hear any of you right wing racist whine about all of the top black athletes getting into school. If Georgia's football team were all white do you think they would have won the Football National Championship? If UConn's basketball team was all white do you think they would have won the NCAA National Championship?

Ummmmm, you just PROVED our point.

Dumbass.

You just made my point. The schools pick the very best for their athletics teams, and blacks are disproportionately the best athletically. But nobody has a problem with that, or screams for “basketball team equity!” because trying for more diversity there would weaken the team.

So why doesn’t the same apply to challenging, rigorous educational programs? Why not just take in the best, regardless of race, the way sports teams do?

You just made my point. The schools pick the very best for their athletics teams, and blacks are disproportionately the best athletically. But nobody has a problem with that, or screams for “basketball team equity!” because trying for more diversity there would weaken the team.

So why doesn’t the same apply to challenging, rigorous educational programs? Why not just take in the best, regardless of race, the way sports teams do?
Why don't you whine about it? You whine when 8% of the student body is black, but you don't open your damn mouth when 85% of the football team or basketball team is black.

Forum List

Back