Asking for some editing behavior changes. (Selective Quoting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xenforo is gonna issue a "post alert" on EVERYTHING -- EVERY TIME -- any one replies to a mile long quote nest
Notice how I just broke up a nested quote to respond to this one point (I'm even doing it on my phone)!

Anyway, here's my complaint. One member has stuffed a response of mine from long ago along with a dozen others to make some left-wing "point." He throws that pile of quotes into a conversation regularly when I'm not even involved in the conversation.

As a result, I get pummeled with alerts to conversations that I have neither participated in nor am interested in. Mac1958 You think you could just use a screenshot image or something? I dont mind you quoting me constantly, but I dont like being called into your threads. Thanks!

Xenforo is gonna issue a "post alert" on EVERYTHING -- EVERY TIME -- any one replies to a mile long quote nest
Notice how I just broke up a nested quote to respond to this one point (I'm even doing it on my phone)!

Anyway, here's my complaint. One member has stuffed a response of mine from long ago along with a dozen others to make some left-wing "point." He throws that pile of quotes into a conversation regularly when I'm not even involved in the conversation.

As a result, I get pummeled with alerts to conversations that I have neither participated in nor am interested in. Mac1958 You think you could just use a screenshot image or something? I dont mind you quoting me constantly, but I dont like being called into your threads. Thanks!
Happens to me all the time. Every day.

You could just put me on ignore.

I'll leave it up to the mod.

I'll leave it to you two to sort out.. As long as a thread OPENS without "call-outs", names or alerts, If the content is RELEVANT -- it's generally OK... Maybe quote "anonymously"? Or use just plain "text" quotes to avoid the alerts??

It still shows up.

Would you like me to turn your QUOTE list into an image? That way you can "make your point" and those of us not involved in the conversation wont get called into it.

Glad to help out any way I can

It still shows up.

Would you like me to turn your QUOTE list into an image? That way you can "make your point" and those of us not involved in the conversation wont get called into it.

Glad to help out any way I can

I was editing my post above with some suggestions before this post.. Yeah, there's lots of possibilities to make it less "stressful"...

I have no idea what anyone is talking about EXCEPT for POST #1. Thank you FCT, I can follow those instructions.
And I THINK, Pogo, not sure, that if you hit the quote box in the response, it takes you back to the post where that quote was so you can peruse context and previous/following posts.
And one other thing, when you want to go back to the poster's whole post from the quote box, you have to click on their NAME. Generally clicking somewhere in the box doesn't work.

I'll leave it to you two to sort out.. As long as a thread OPENS without "call-outs", names or alerts, If the content is RELEVANT -- it's generally OK... Maybe quote "anonymously"? Or use just plain "text" quotes to avoid the alerts??
FCT
i know it's frustrating , believe me i get tired of explaining 'electricity 101' over and over and over

but for the sake of the great unwashed , would you please go sssslllllooooooowwwwwlllyyyy here

~S~

FCT
i know it's frustrating , believe me i get tired of explaining 'electricity 101' over and over and over

but for the sake of the great unwashed , would you please go sssslllllooooooowwwwwlllyyyy here

~S~
Sparky, let's say you just read a post and you're looking at it. Use mine if you want. Highlight the part you want to respond to. As soon as you do, two buttons will appear beside the highlighted text. Hit REPLY. It will open a reply box and the quote you highlighted will be in the quote box. Try it with mine.

There is a rule in the Posting Guidelines on our Home Page, that when QUOTING a member --- you CANNOT shorten the quote in a manner that changes the INTENT of the poster you are quoting.

Sometimes that's the only way to keep em honest in their intent. I don't usually let weasel words and purposeful intellectual dishonesty and fallacy go unchallenged.

That rule actually stifles or deters functional debate.

The reason we got the Patriot Act is because nobody came along and cut out the candy coating and said, hey, here's what they're really saying to you.

Last edited:
Get Chicharron the "admin" to go into the software and out "multi quote"...after Semana Santa I suppose ? WyTF does a site have monitors that cant handle admin access ?

So we have an outbreak of "infectious quoting" goin on here, and mod staff is ASKING you to learn to use the "selective quoting" options in the interim to practice "quote distancing" from each other.. :poke:
Got it chief! Im smrt not dum like they say!

I'm Pogo and I wish I were allowed to approve of this message.

Another way to cut down the incessant nesting. and keep some context afloat, is to quote the whole thing, then delete all the "[user xxx said]s from the top and an equal number of "/quote"s from the bottom so that you end up with the last two or three relevant quotes. The problem with selective quoting as described above is that it (SOMETIMES) excises the quotes that define what was being talked about.

I would recommend that to ONLY folks who WANT to dissect one of these "mile long" nested quotes. It gets quite tangled because they aren't ALWAYS perfectly nested.. In fact, you're EDITING a script that might itself be a "1/2" mile long of BB code and if you BLOW a parenthesis or lose or misplace an END quote -- you're gonna get garbage..

If you can SURGICALLY remove only the post you're responding to without a lot of cussing and frustration -- GO FOR IT...

But I find "breaking up a response" with selective quoting to be MORE valuable by itself in responding to LONG posts...

It's like everyone is speaking Japanese but me.

Sometimes that's the only way to keep em honest in their intent. I don't usually let weasel words and purposeful intellectual dishonesty and fallacy go unchallenged.

That rule actually stifles or deters functional debate.

The point is -- ALL of USMB moderation and rules is designed to get "topical discussion".. We allow a LOT of pushback and flaming IF that topical content is there.. So selecting out the "weasel words" to respond to is gonna put you afoul of the "specific topical content" rule anyways..

Select the stuff that IS on topic, along with the weasel words if you like, and just make sure your responses have some topical value.. You can lash them for those weasel words WHILE you contribute to the topical discussion..

The reason we got the Patriot Act is because nobody came along and cut out the candy coating and said, hey, here's what they're really saying to you.

Dont quite understand this.. But if you're saying we were NOT TOLD that the 702 collection system IS DOMESTIC SPYING, you're right.. Snowden TRIED to fix that and point out how INVASIVE it could become --- and ---- it did.. The abuse was inevitable. And the ONLY protection citizens have is the FISCourt and now we know how badly that worked out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back