🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Astronaut’s ‘Gaza-Israel’ conflict photo is Tel Aviv lights

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
This is interesting, but then again a modern place like Israel should be lit up at night just like any other modern places in the world.

Astronaut’s ‘Gaza-Israel’ conflict photo is Tel Aviv lights

NASA joins hordes posting space image ostensibly showing explosions and rockets, but it’s actually Israel at night

BY DAVID SHAMAH July 24, 2014

A photo taken from space that purports to show explosions in Gaza and rockets flying over Israel went viral Thursday, posted on dozens of Facebook pages and blogs, including the official blog of NASA, the US space agency. Just one problem – it’s a picture of routine nighttime lights in Israel, not blasts.

At first glance, the image might appear to show explosions over the coastal strip and Israel, as it’s presented. At second glance – one taken by Professor Michael Harper of Utah Valley University – the photo turns out to show the lights mainly of Tel Aviv, and as far away as Beersheba in Israel’s south. Gaza is in the picture, but it’s mostly dark.

There is no sign of bombs or rockets, Harper says.

“I’ve been to Israel personally and know the geography — even when looking at the nighttime image,” Harper told The Times of Israel. “The story makes the statement that bombs and missile attacks can be seen. I refute that with the images I posted.”

Read more:

Astronaut's 'Gaza-Israel' conflict photo is Tel Aviv lights | The Times of Israel

Forum List

Back