ATTN: Pot smokers, GREAT news!

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
no lung cancer!!!

the largest study ever conducted on marijuana’s relevance to lung cancer has come up with some somewhat surprising results. The national institutes of health’s national institute on drug abuse funded the university of california at los angeles study, which found that smoking marijuana does not cause lung cancer, and it doesn’t seem to matter how much or how often it is smoked.

Read more: Study Demonstrates Smoking Pot Doesn't Cause Lung Cancer

But it IS linked to mental illness.

Mental illness may cause people to smoke pot, yes. Point?

That makes you crazier than an old hootie owl.

Point Noomi.

You mean white owl, right?

whitegrapewhiteowl.jpg

Well, according to some, I am batshit crazy so it's a good thing I don't like smoking pot.
Last time I took a hit off a joint was...hmmm....33 years ago? I don't miss it. And I don't mind being batshit crazy. :lol:

LOL. Mental illness is caused by pot smoking. Do some research.

I did.
Fact #4: Marijuana has not been shown to cause mental illness.

Some effects of marijuana ingestion may include feelings of panic, anxiety, and paranoia. Such experiences can be frightening, but the effects are temporary.

That said, none of this is to suggest that there may not be some correlation (but not causation) between marijuana use and certain psychiatric ailments. Marijuana use can correlate with mental illness for many reasons. People often turn to the alleviating effects of marijuana to treat symptoms of distress. One study demonstrated that psychotic symptoms predict later use of marijuana, suggesting that people might turn to the plant for help rather than become ill after use.[4]
- See more at: 10 Facts About Marijuana | Marijuana Policy and Effects | Drug Policy Alliance

I'm right, you're wrong.

According to whom -- and specifically what kind of "mental illness?"

Mentally ill people are more likely to smoke pot than normal people - who wants crazy people smoking dope?

Heavy, Frequent Cannabis Use Linked to Mental Illness | Psych Central News

There is growing evidence that people with serious mental illness, including depression and psychosis, are more likely to use cannabis or have used it for long periods of time in the past. Regular use of the drug has appeared to double the risk of developing a psychotic episode or long-term schizophrenia. However, does cannabis cause depression and schizophrenia or do people with these disorders use it as a medication?

Over the past few years, research has strongly suggested that there is a clear link between early cannabis use and later mental health problems in those with a genetic vulnerability - and that there is a particular issue with the use of cannabis by adolescents.

Cannabis and mental health

But feel fee to ignore the facts.

IF it were true that smoking pots CAUSES schizophrenia (as one "study from NZ suggested)?

IF THAT WERE TRUE

THEN

the incidence of schizophrenia in the boomer generation would be WILDLY higher than that of their WWII generation fathers and mothers.

Because almost NONE of the WWII gen smoked pot while something like 25% of the boomer generation smoked it often.

Us there statistical evidence of increased rates of schizophrenia?

NMo..

In fact the rate of schizophrenia in the population is actually going DOWN.

Another POT myth bites the dust,. eh?

Here's why I say that...

Because REALITY (that is to say the outcome of the ENTIRE POPULATION) trumps STUDIES (which test only minescule fractions of the population)

Now I realize many here will not be able to grasp the logic of this argument.

Our faith in medical studies is vast when those studies tell us what we want to believe.

But the REALITY of two full generations of experimentation by the public at large informs those of us who are not prejudice that POT does not increase the incidence of mental illness.

There is growing evidence that people with serious mental illness, including depression and psychosis, are more likely to use cannabis or have used it for long periods of time in the past. Regular use of the drug has appeared to double the risk of developing a psychotic episode or long-term schizophrenia. However, does cannabis cause depression and schizophrenia or do people with these disorders use it as a medication?
Noomi,

The above is a typical example of speculative propaganda routinely propagated by the NIDA. You are far too intelligent to not acknowledge there is nothing scientifically conclusive about it.

Over the past few years, research has strongly suggested that there is a clear link between early cannabis use and later mental health problems in those with a genetic vulnerability - and that there is a particular issue with the use of cannabis by adolescents.
In the same way that a small number of people are allergic to peanuts, dairy products and other foods, there are those who will react negatively to using marijuana. But the cause is not necessarily genetic in nature and the percentage of this category is miniscule.

It also is known that use of any psychoactive substance, especially alcohol, by those whose brain chemistry is not fully developed (post-adolescence) can be harmful. And it might interest you to know that marijuana's illegal status makes it far more accessible by minors (in the U.S.) than alcohol is because it is commonly "pushed" by schoolyard dealers. The same situation existed during alcohol prohibition and it ended when alcohol became legally available by licensed vendors.

Last edited:

LOL. Mental illness is caused by pot smoking. Do some research.
Referencing NIDA propaganda is hardly considered research.

If you are truly interested in learning the truth about marijuana from an authoritative source, I recommend the following book to you: Marijuana, The Forbidden Medicine, by Dr. Lester Grinspoon, MD, Ph.D., Professor of Psychiatric Medicine, Harvard Medical School. (Available from Amazon.)

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Marihuana-Forbidden-Medicine-Lester-Grinspoon/dp/0300070861/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377454626&sr=8-1&keywords=Marijuana+-+the+forbidden+medicine+-+book]Marihuana: The Forbidden Medicine: Lester Grinspoon, Dr. James B. Bakalar: 9780300070866: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

(It doesn't get any more authoritative than that.)

Forum List

Back