AZ Senate launches inquiry into Wendy Rogers' comments on Buffalo shooting

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
The far-right senator promoted a falsehood that the federal government was behind the racist attack. Two months ago, the Senate censured Rogers for violent comments.

The Republican-controlled Arizona State Senate voted 24-3 Monday to conduct an ethics investigation of state Sen. Wendy Rogers, for a social media post suggesting that the suspect in the Buffalo massacre was a federal agent, echoing claims made by white nationalists.

Not long after a gunman killed several people at a Buffalo grocery store, the Flagstaff Republican made a comment on social media that experts on extremism say is a "dog whistle" for a far-right conspiracy theory.
"Fed boy summer has started in Buffalo," Rogers said on her Telegram page and other accounts. The term “Fed boy” refers to government employees.
By a vote of 24-3, Republicans and Democrats approved an investigation of Rogers' comments by the Senate Ethics Committee.

Rogers, who represents a solidly Republican northern Arizona district, is an ardent Donald Trump supporter and election denier.
She has become a national figure among far-right white Christian nationalists who espouse racist ideas. She has endorsed Republican candidate for governor Kari Lake.

This marks the third time in a year that Rogers has faced discipline by her fellow senators.

The Senate voted on removing her yesterday, but it failed.

The woman is nuts beyond a doubt, but I don't advocate removing someone from elected office due to them taking unpopular positions. That's a slippery slope. If her constituents aren't happy with her insanity they can vote her out when she is up for reelection.

A tweet? It's intimidation.

How is it intimidation? Who's being intimidated?

Don't get me wrong, I've never even heard of this woman, and I disagree with the point she was apparently trying to make. But I just don't see what needs to be investigated. It's pretty clear she made those comments, yes?

Forum List

Back