Bachmann’s Husband Tied To ‘Pray Away The Gay Therapy’

This should be banned on children.
But allow it with over 18.
Allow it for everyone to see how absurd it is.

I agree. Let the adult decide for himself what he wants to attempt for himself. This reminds me of parents who get in trouble when they apply faith healing to their children in place of modern medicine. It spikes of child abuse. child neglect, or some such term.

It matters to the right wing.

If they can prove it's a "choice", they think that gives them an "out" from their nasty, disgusting bigotry.

Even if homosexuality is a choice, I don't see that it matters. Christianity is a choice. Smoking cigarettes is a choice. Wearing a swimsuit in winter or wearing a jacket in summer is a choice.
I like to ask people who are heterosexual, who claim sexuality is a choice, if it was a difficult choice for them when they chose the opposite sex.

Actually, no. I've known I was hetero since I was 6. I had someone come up to me and try to talk me into some gay behavior, but, because it felt wrong to me, I didn't do it.

No. Young kids generally know which gender they like before they're teens.

It matters to the right wing.

If they can prove it's a "choice", they think that gives them an "out" from their nasty, disgusting bigotry.

Even if homosexuality is a choice, I don't see that it matters. Christianity is a choice. Smoking cigarettes is a choice. Wearing a swimsuit in winter or wearing a jacket in summer is a choice.
I like to ask people who are heterosexual, who claim sexuality is a choice, if it was a difficult choice for them when they chose the opposite sex.

Good point. If sexual preference is a choice then sexual preference is a choice.

No doubt this shit is harmful and homophobic. But in this day and age, people should have the right to choose their own health care. You disagree with that?

Finally, MARCUS BACHMANN IS NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT.

No doubt this shit is harmful and homophobic. But in this day and age, people should have the right to choose their own health care. You disagree with that?

No one with a license should be able to use harmful treatment modalities.

Refer to "Cancer/Sodium bicarbonate" comment.

Those without a license should have to give full disclosure.

His treatments are no secret.

This is ridiculous.

Michelle Obama's Hospital Shuns Uninsured Poor People

Presumptive Democrat presidential nominee Barack Obama has positioned himself as the champion of the poor and all those that can't afford health insurance.

Maybe he should direct his efforts to the hospital his wife Michelle works for, as it appears the University of Chicago Medical Center "steers patients who don't have private insurance -- primarily poor, black people -- to other health care facilities."

As reported by the Chicago Sun-Times Saturday (emphasis added throughout, h/t NBer saw the light, photo courtesy NY Daily News):

Michelle Obama -- currently on unpaid leave from her $317,000-a-year job as a vice president of the prestigious hospital -- helped create the program, which aims to find neighborhood doctors for low-income people who were flooding the emergency room for basic treatment. Hospital officials say such patients hinder their ability to focus on more critically ill patients in need of specialized care, such as cancer treatment and organ transplants.

In fact, the Obama campaign has multiple ties to this program:

Obama's top political strategist, David Axelrod, co-owns the firm, ASK Public Strategies, that was hired by the hospital last year to sell the program -- called the Urban Health Initiative -- to the community as a better alternative for poor patients. Obama's wife and Valerie Jarrett, an Obama friend and adviser who chairs the medical center's board, backed the Axelrod firm's hiring, hospital officials said. [...]

But the Urban Health Initiative has critics, including South Side residents and medical professionals.

That's fair game, right?

His treatments are no secret.

This is ridiculous.

Michelle Obama's Hospital Shuns Uninsured Poor People

Presumptive Democrat presidential nominee Barack Obama has positioned himself as the champion of the poor and all those that can't afford health insurance.

Maybe he should direct his efforts to the hospital his wife Michelle works for, as it appears the University of Chicago Medical Center "steers patients who don't have private insurance -- primarily poor, black people -- to other health care facilities."

As reported by the Chicago Sun-Times Saturday (emphasis added throughout, h/t NBer saw the light, photo courtesy NY Daily News):

Michelle Obama -- currently on unpaid leave from her $317,000-a-year job as a vice president of the prestigious hospital -- helped create the program, which aims to find neighborhood doctors for low-income people who were flooding the emergency room for basic treatment. Hospital officials say such patients hinder their ability to focus on more critically ill patients in need of specialized care, such as cancer treatment and organ transplants.

In fact, the Obama campaign has multiple ties to this program:

Obama's top political strategist, David Axelrod, co-owns the firm, ASK Public Strategies, that was hired by the hospital last year to sell the program -- called the Urban Health Initiative -- to the community as a better alternative for poor patients. Obama's wife and Valerie Jarrett, an Obama friend and adviser who chairs the medical center's board, backed the Axelrod firm's hiring, hospital officials said. [...]

But the Urban Health Initiative has critics, including South Side residents and medical professionals.

That's fair game, right?

Sure, though M.O. doesn't claim to be a healthcare provider; as a medical student affiliated with a hospital that treats a patient population that virtually entirely medicaid or not insured ("self pay"), I find this subject interesting:

U. of C. medical practices drawing critical eye - Chicago Tribune

First:

A University of Chicago Medical Center strategy to steer poor and uninsured patients with less serious injuries to other facilities to focus on treating the most challenging cases is making the South Side hospital more money -- and attracting growing criticism.

In the last three years, the medical center has expanded an effort to educate the uninsured on how to get proper medical care without showing up in its expensive emergency room.

First, I spent May in our ER. This is just good policy. ERs were never intended to be primary care mills. The fact that they have evolved into such is a detriment to the profession of Emergency Medicine and the patient. I'll explain why:

ER doctors train to recognize, treat, stablize, and direct the acutely ill. This includes medical resuscitation, codes, trauma, heart attacks, and strokes. As it stands now, only about 20% of patients (the national average) that come into the ER are even admitted to the hospital. That means 80% are treated for trivial maladies and sent out the door. That drains the resources of the ER and creates a work tempo that makes it hard for ER docs to do the job they have trained for.

For the patients, ERs are (again) not primary care facilites. They will treat you and release you. There is little follow up and not "health maintanence/preventative medicine" in that setting it is suboptimal for primary care. The patients also tend to be unhappy as ERs work on triage, which means you can wait 11 hours before you are seen, as more sick people are bumped to the front of the line. I dealt with a lot of angy patients over this as a student. They don't get the concept of ERs and triage.

So this is a widely recognized problem that needs to be addressed.

Michelle Obama, as vice president of external and community affairs, led a team that worked with physicians, including emergency-room doctors, administrators and clinics to link patients with primary-care medical providers elsewhere on the South Side.

Which is where patients with minor ailments should go to seek care. Furthermore, it creates an impetus for these patients to establish care with a PCP and not get all of their care through the ER, which is inefficient for the reasons given above.

Can you believe we had a patient present to our ER with a complaint of "Insomnia". Does that sound like a medical emergency to you? That's just one example of a multitude of trivial complaints patients mis-use the ER for.

That guy waited 11 hours before being seen (needless to say).

But a Grassley staffer said this inquiry is similar to others he has undertaken to determine whether non-profit hospitals are earning their tax-exempt status and benefiting the community.

That's silly. The ER is still treating emergent patients. They aren't refusing trauma or any cases that are supposed to be seen in the ER.

The medical center says it's trying to focus more of its resources on providing specialized care, training doctors and conducting cutting-edge research.

As it should. ER Residents aren't being helped in training for their field by treating ambulatory patients.

Some U. of C. doctors and physicians at places where patients are being referred say they did not want to speak publicly, fearful of being critical of the university as well as the Obamas.

So the patient's are still being referred to U of C. clinics? What's the problem? It sounds like they are simply trying to do quality control on their health care resources and not deny treatment to people.

The "don't want to speak publicly" jab is pretty lame. If people won't go on the record, why include it?

But Ald. Toni Preckwinkle, who represents the neighboring 4th Ward, said she has heard from some of her constituents who feel short-changed when referred to community hospitals and clinics.

Of course. We live in the glorius age of medicine where patient's are always right. God help the physician who actually does their job and refuses to let patients dictate their own pain management regimen (People where coping with pain long before the advent of IV dilaudid). They also don't like to be told that they need to take charge of their own health, establish regular care with a PCP, and stop clogging up the ER. Ironically, they also get pissed when they do go to the ER and aren't seen immediately for a hangnail.

I don't mean to sound like an asshole. Most of our patients are great and understanding and it's a priveledge to be involved in their care. However, you will always have people who think they are entitled to being treated like royalty and why their community hospital doesn't morph into the Mayo Clinic at their damand.

To sum up, I don't see anyone being denied care. I see an effort to direct patient care into the appropriate venues and to stop clogging the ER. This is hardly unique to Chicago and, other than the fact that M.O. was involved, I don't see it as a political issue.

This article is long on charges, but short on data.

Last edited:
So queers are afraid one of them might go straight or what? Would they be so concerned if a straight person went gay? What is the point here? Is there now a movement to stop prayer for gays in the USA in the fear they might turn straight? What is the point here?

Well, people used to be able to buy good pain meds over the counter, too. :)

anyway, my point is, there's no more credence in bashing Michelle & Barack Obama for being part of the Chicago elite than bashing Bachmann.

So queers are afraid one of them might go straight or what? Would they be so concerned if a straight person went gay? What is the point here? Is there now a movement to stop prayer for gays in the USA in the fear they might turn straight? What is the point here?

If prayer could "cure" homosexuality, you might have a point.

With the exception of quacks like Bachmann, most of the profession sees no need to treat something that isn't viewed as a problem.

Well, people used to be able to buy good pain meds over the counter, too. :)

anyway, my point is, there's no more credence in bashing Michelle & Barack Obama for being part of the Chicago elite than bashing Bachmann.

So you can see the rationale of trying to optimize ER patients?

I am more interested the medical side of this. I have barely mentioned Michelle Bachmann in this thread (other then to point out her hypocracy).

That is not analogous to M. Obama who was trying to do something that would actually help patients (and not deny them care, despite the Tribune's best effort to claim otherwise).

With the exception of quacks like Bachmann, most of the profession sees no need to treat something that isn't viewed as a problem.

There have been many homosexuals who have gone straight. What is the big deal? It's their lives and no one's business. What is the point here?

There have been many homosexuals who have gone straight. What is the big deal? It's their lives and no one's business. What is the point here?
Do you know many who have "gone straight"?
Do you think Marcus is now straight?

Which procedure?

The subject of the thread is pray away the gay or Conversion Therapy.

Oh. Technically therapy is not a "procedure" so I wasn't sure if you were talking about that or hysterectomies (which are procedures).

I don't know if it's banned in any of the 50 states. I don't think it should necessarily be banned, I just don't think it should be offered under the auspices of "treatment" by a mental health professional. As I noted, other states have much more stringent standards then Minnesota. I've never heard of a licensed mental health professional using it in my state, but that is anecdotal.

If a religious person is troubled spiritually by their sexual orientation and they believe prayer will be beneficial to them and seek the help of the ministry, that's completely different. I have no problem with that. I have a problem with someone claiming to be a healthcare professional and using treatment that is viewed as utter bullshit by the field.

Would it be reasonable for a Physician to use prayer as the sole means of treating meningitis? I assure you there is not billing code for prayer that a physician can use. (Maybe chaplains can though).

My bad for not being more specific on the 'procedure/treatment. I do know that there is a billing code for psychological counseling and I assume that is what Dr Bachman is charging his patients for. As far as claiming to be a healthcare professional it appears to me that Dr Bachman is well qualified.
Dr. Bachmann received his Masters degree in education/counseling from Regent University located in Virginia Beach, Virginia. He received his Doctorate degree in clinical psychology from Union Graduate Institute located in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I can't see where telling someone that is asking for help that you will pray for their recovery does any harm. And, no one forced a gay person to ask for help with their real or perceived sexual affliction.

IMHO, the 'pray away the gay' theme is merely crapola invented by the gay and lesbian community who hate all conservatives, most Republicans and most Christians.

Interestingly enough, gays are neurologically different from straights, scientists have shown this in gay vs. straight brains. Gay males are generally similar to straight females, and straight males are neurologically similar to gay females.

Might as well try to use prayer to make yourself an eagle.

The subject of the thread is pray away the gay or Conversion Therapy.

Oh. Technically therapy is not a "procedure" so I wasn't sure if you were talking about that or hysterectomies (which are procedures).

I don't know if it's banned in any of the 50 states. I don't think it should necessarily be banned, I just don't think it should be offered under the auspices of "treatment" by a mental health professional. As I noted, other states have much more stringent standards then Minnesota. I've never heard of a licensed mental health professional using it in my state, but that is anecdotal.

If a religious person is troubled spiritually by their sexual orientation and they believe prayer will be beneficial to them and seek the help of the ministry, that's completely different. I have no problem with that. I have a problem with someone claiming to be a healthcare professional and using treatment that is viewed as utter bullshit by the field.

Would it be reasonable for a Physician to use prayer as the sole means of treating meningitis? I assure you there is not billing code for prayer that a physician can use. (Maybe chaplains can though).

My bad for not being more specific on the 'procedure/treatment. I do know that there is a billing code for psychological counseling and I assume that is what Dr Bachman is charging his patients for. As far as claiming to be a healthcare professional it appears to me that Dr Bachman is well qualified.
Dr. Bachmann received his Masters degree in education/counseling from Regent University located in Virginia Beach, Virginia. He received his Doctorate degree in clinical psychology from Union Graduate Institute located in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I can't see where telling someone that is asking for help that you will pray for their recovery does any harm. And, no one forced a gay person to ask for help with their real or perceived sexual affliction.

IMHO, the 'pray away the gay' theme is merely crapola invented by the gay and lesbian community who hate all conservatives, most Republicans and most Christians.

He's actually not. He has no license to practise. For analogy, anyone that graduates from Medical School is an "M.D." or "D.O." but they aren't licensed to practise until they complete residency.

His Ph.D. is somewhat in dispute as well. At the time he claims he got a Ph.D., the school only granted Ph.D.'s in general studies. The school itself has come under much scrutiny.

I would agree this was being blown out of proportion if Bachmann's group wasn't actually doing it.

Holy shit!!!!

Is Bachman's husband running for an elected position?

Jesus Christ.

Let's get to General Quarters.

We're onto something rich here....

Interestingly enough, gays are neurologically different from straights, scientists have shown this in gay vs. straight brains. Gay males are generally similar to straight females, and straight males are neurologically similar to gay females.

Might as well try to use prayer to make yourself an eagle.

You're pretty knowledgeable about what makes up a gay.

Telling much?

Forum List

Back