🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Background checks are MANDATORY in every State.

Nearly 40 percent of gun transactions in America occur through private party sales.

I think they should either do back ground checks on virtually all transactions or stop doing them all together because now they are just an inconvenience to honest people.

I think you need to verify that statement; 40% would mean that 200 million guns changed hands through private sales in the last year. There were 300 million sold through FFL dealers in the last year so show me where you got that number.

n May 1997, the National Institute of Justice, an arm of the U.S. Justice Department, published the results of a survey that concluded “approximately 60 percent of gun acquisitions involved FFLs,

Even if it is only half that number it would be millions of transactions.

Why shouldn't I be allowed to sell my personal possessions to someone else ?
Disclaimer. I am in 100% support of Amendment II.
Question...Do you not have to register a car? Do you not have to report the sale or purchase of a vehicle in private sale to the State?

Actual no you do not. If you do not plan to use said car on a public space you do not have to register it nor license it. States with personal Income taxes and property tax probably require you to list it for tax purposes.

My question to you is, if a poll tax INFRINGES on a right to vote, why is that people can call for a special tax on firearms or ammunition?

All vehicle transactions require a transfer of title. Which of course is reported to the state.
What does an illegal poll tax have to do with the subject matter at hand?
I am not advocating a tax? Where did you get that idea?

I keep hearing the same ignorant lie from the gun grabbers. That somehow some states don't do background checks on firearm purchases. The ONLY exception is a private sale between two private citizens. EVERY firearm sold by an FFL MUST have a background check. FEDERAL LAW. One must show ID and prove they are from the State they are buying the weapon in as well.

Before you embarrass yourselves some more learn the FACTS.

And what percentage of gun sales take place between private sellers? What percentage of private citizens sell guns as their primary source of income?

Legally NO non FFL sells weapons as his primary source of income. It is illegal to sell firearms as a business without an FFL. ATF monitors private sellers and if they catch one selling over a small set amount in a year they investigate. As for percentages, one need only understand that it costs 150 to 300 dollars for a booth at a Gun show. How many private sellers can afford that and make a profit on a very limited selling basis enforced by the ATF?

Gun Shows by State

A total of 11 states require background checks for at least some gun purchases at gun shows. Seven of those states require background checks for all gun purchases, while four states require background checks for only handgun purchases.

The seven states requiring background checks for all purchases include:

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Illinois
New York
Oregon
Rhode Island
The four states requiring background checks for only handgun purchases include:

Hawaii
Maryland
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
In Florida, private firearms purchases are subject to background checks in some jurisdictions but not across the entire state. There are no laws regulating private firearms sales at gun shows in the remaining 33 states.

Gun Shows - The Purported Gun Show Loophole and State-by-State Regulation of Gun SHows

Because it's a firearm.

Question...Do you not have to register a car? Do you not have to report the sale or purchase of a vehicle in private sale to the State?

There is no right to own or operate a car, there is a right to own a gun.

Actually the right to keep and bear arms is NOT absolute.
Felons, mentally disabled, children under the age of 18 are just some of the individuals who are excluded from the Second Amendment.
All licensed drivers are legally permitted to own a vehicle.
Actually it is easier to own a vehicle than a firearm. Convicted felons, medically cleared people with mental disabilities may own vehicles.
I think everyone should have to pass a firearm safety course and become licensed in order to own a firearm.
I see no difference between the two.
These ideas are not intended to curtail rights, but to make sure that the rights of legal gun owners are legitimized and protected.
This would assist police in catching criminals. Pretty easy because unlicensed individuals would obviously be criminals.

Background checks are MANDATORY in every State.

No, they aren't. See the map in the link below.

Gun Show Background Checks State Laws

Again for the slow and stupid. ANY FFL that sells a firearm no matter where, no matter local law and regulation MUST comply with federal law which requires a background check.

Felons, mentally disabled, children under the age of 18 are just some of the individuals who are excluded from the Second Amendment.
Actually it is easier to own a vehicle than a firearm. Convicted felons, medically cleared people with mental disabilities may own vehicles.
I think everyone should have to pass a firearm safety course and become licensed in order to own a firearm.
These ideas are not intended to curtail rights, but to make sure that the rights of legal gun owners are legitimized and protected.
This would assist police in catching criminals. Pretty easy because unlicensed individuals would obviously be criminals.

unlicensed folks can own vehicles as well

other then that you sort of mixing apples and oranges

between state laws and federal laws

Gun Shows by State

A total of 11 states require background checks for at least some gun purchases at gun shows. Seven of those states require background checks for all gun purchases, while four states require background checks for only handgun purchases.

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Illinois
New York
Oregon
Rhode Island

Hawaii
Maryland
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
In Florida, private firearms purchases are subject to background checks in some jurisdictions but not across the entire state. There are no laws regulating private firearms sales at gun shows in the remaining 33 states.

Gun Shows - The Purported Gun Show Loophole and State-by-State Regulation of Gun SHows

Which is EXACTLY what I said, private sales are excluded. And private sales are a tiny fraction of sales in Gun Shows or anywhere else, well except black market sales by criminals to criminals.

There is no limit on how many you can "privately" own or "privately" sell. That's the point. Think it through. "Privately could mean thousands. If that's the case, then how meaningful are regulations.

No, they aren't. See the map in the link below.

Gun Show Background Checks State Laws

Again for the slow and stupid. ANY FFL that sells a firearm no matter where, no matter local law and regulation MUST comply with federal law which requires a background check.

I don't come here looking for an argument.
My angle here is I am trying to figure out what the problem is.

Nearly 40 percent of gun transactions in America occur through private party sales.

I think they should either do back ground checks on virtually all transactions or stop doing them all together because now they are just an inconvenience to honest people.

I think you need to verify that statement; 40% would mean that 200 million guns changed hands through private sales in the last year. There were 300 million sold through FFL dealers in the last year so show me where you got that number.

n May 1997, the National Institute of Justice, an arm of the U.S. Justice Department, published the results of a survey that concluded “approximately 60 percent of gun acquisitions involved FFLs,

Even if it is only half that number it would be millions of transactions.
That's not a link. Nor is it proof.

Gun Shows by State

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Illinois
New York
Oregon
Rhode Island

Hawaii
Maryland
New Jersey
Pennsylvania

you are comparing cats to catfish, owning a car is NOT a right guaranteed by the Constitution whereas owning a firearm is a Constitutional RIGHT !!

i seriously doubt your support of Amdt. 2 if you really understood A-2 you wouldn't have ignorantly posted your disclaimer. :up:

i didnt think you did

i dont favor the licensing of right

once we go down that road

it is not a right anymore

I keep hearing the same ignorant lie from the gun grabbers. That somehow some states don't do background checks on firearm purchases. The ONLY exception is a private sale between two private citizens. EVERY firearm sold by an FFL MUST have a background check. FEDERAL LAW. One must show ID and prove they are from the State they are buying the weapon in as well.

Before you embarrass yourselves some more learn the FACTS.

Well if background checks have merit, why would you exempt non-commercial transactions?

It would be like changing the law prohibiting the sale of alcohol to minors to exempt sales between 2 private citizens.

you are comparing cats to catfish, owning a car is NOT a right guaranteed by the Constitution whereas owning a firearm is a Constitutional RIGHT !!

i seriously doubt your support of Amdt. 2 if you really understood A-2 you wouldn't have ignorantly posted your disclaimer. :up:
I will ask this another way.
Do you believe that the right to keep an bear arms is sacrosanct to the point where you support the unfettered and unregulated sale, transfer and possession of firearms?
Do you believe that states which heavily regulate the sale and possession of firearms are in violation of the Second Amendment?
Do you believe the Second Amendment to be absolute?

i didnt think you did

At the end of the day, do you not believe that if law abiding citizens are the only people. cut and dried. who can legally possess a firearm would that not make it easier to catch and put away criminals?
I happen to think that if we all were required to take and pass a firearms safety and knowledge course and upon passage procure some kind to certificate that it would legitimize the gun owner and marginalize the criminal.
Here's my take...That kid that takes a gun to school "for protection" right now is slapped on the wrist and that's it.
If a license is required, that kid or adult is automatically a criminal worth prosecuting. The illegal gun taken off the street and so it the criminal.

i didnt think you did

At the end of the day, do you not believe that if law abiding citizens are the only people. cut and dried. who can legally possess a firearm would that not make it easier to catch and put away criminals?
I happen to think that if we all were required to take and pass a firearms safety and knowledge course and upon passage procure some kind to certificate that it would legitimize the gun owner and marginalize the criminal.
Here's my take...That kid that takes a gun to school "for protection" right now is slapped on the wrist and that's it.
If a license is required, that kid or adult is automatically a criminal worth prosecuting. The illegal gun taken off the street and so it the criminal.

"At the end of the day, do you not believe that if law abiding citizens are the only people. cut and dried. who can legally possess a firearm"

that is how it currently is

regardless of any tests the criminals will simply not follow the rules

they currently do not follow the rules

--LOL-- a kid who takes a gun to school gets a slap on the wrist in what world is that

in the United States a kid who eats a poptart into the shape of a gun gets expelled from school

Gun Shows by State

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Illinois
New York
Oregon
Rhode Island

Hawaii
Maryland
New Jersey
Pennsylvania

Which is EXACTLY what I said, private sales are excluded. And private sales are a tiny fraction of sales in Gun Shows or anywhere else, well except black market sales by criminals to criminals.

There is no limit on how many you can "privately" own or "privately" sell. That's the point. Think it through. "Privately could mean thousands. If that's the case, then how meaningful are regulations.

Go ahead and start up a unlicensed gun store out of your home and see how long it takes the ATF to knock on your door.
There was an article in the Houston Chronicle about this very topic not to long ago.
As long as your only selling a few a year they wont mess with you. You get caught selling a shitload you'll be spending some time at Clubfed.

Last edited:

Go ahead and start up a unlicensed gun store out of your home and see how long it takes the ATF to knock on your door.
There was an article in the Houston Chronicle about this very topic not to long ago.
As long as your only selling a few a year they wont mess with you. You get caught selling a shitload you'll be spending sometime at Clubfed.

or working for holder and the ATF

--LOL

Forum List

Back