🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Background checks are MANDATORY in every State.

Gun Shows by State

A total of 11 states require background checks for at least some gun purchases at gun shows. Seven of those states require background checks for all gun purchases, while four states require background checks for only handgun purchases.

The seven states requiring background checks for all purchases include:

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Illinois
New York
Oregon
Rhode Island
The four states requiring background checks for only handgun purchases include:

Hawaii
Maryland
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
In Florida, private firearms purchases are subject to background checks in some jurisdictions but not across the entire state. There are no laws regulating private firearms sales at gun shows in the remaining 33 states.

Gun Shows - The Purported Gun Show Loophole and State-by-State Regulation of Gun SHows
This does nothing to negate the soundness of the OP.

Gun Shows by State

A total of 11 states require background checks for at least some gun purchases at gun shows. Seven of those states require background checks for all gun purchases, while four states require background checks for only handgun purchases.

The seven states requiring background checks for all purchases include:

California
Colorado
Connecticut
Illinois
New York
Oregon
Rhode Island
The four states requiring background checks for only handgun purchases include:

Hawaii
Maryland
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
In Florida, private firearms purchases are subject to background checks in some jurisdictions but not across the entire state. There are no laws regulating private firearms sales at gun shows in the remaining 33 states.

Gun Shows - The Purported Gun Show Loophole and State-by-State Regulation of Gun SHows

Why shouldn't I be allowed to sell my personal possessions to someone else ?
Disclaimer. I am in 100% support of Amendment II.
Question...Do you not have to register a car?
You do not have to register a car to buy it, own it, keep it at your house, or use it on private property.

Do you not have to report the sale or purchase of a vehicle in private sale to the State?
Not in the state of OH.

Disclaimer. I am in 100% support of Amendment II.
Question...Do you not have to register a car? Do you not have to report the sale or purchase of a vehicle in private sale to the State?

There is no right to own or operate a car, there is a right to own a gun.

Actually the right to keep and bear arms is NOT absolute.
Felons, mentally disabled, children under the age of 18 are just some of the individuals who are excluded from the Second Amendment.
All licensed drivers are legally permitted to own a vehicle.
Evryone is, driver's license or not.
I think everyone should have to pass a firearm safety course and become licensed in order to own a firearm.
This is an infringement and therefore violates the constitution.
I see no difference between the two.
One is a permit to drive a car on public property.
The other is the exercise of a right.
These ideas are not intended to curtail rights, but to make sure that the rights of legal gun owners are legitimized and protected.
Requiring a test before you can exercise a right only endangers the exercise of that right.

Last edited:
I will ask this another way.
Do you believe that the right to keep an bear arms is sacrosanct to the point where you support the unfettered and unregulated sale, transfer and possession of firearms?
To anyone legally able to own a firearm? Absolutely.

Do you believe that states which heavily regulate the sale and possession of firearms are in violation of the Second Amendment?
Depoends on the specifics, but generally, yes.

Do you believe the Second Amendment to be absolute?
Within the terms that define the right of the people to keep and bear arms, yes.

At the end of the day, do you not believe that if law abiding citizens are the only people. cut and dried. who can legally possess a firearm would that not make it easier to catch and put away criminals?
Law abiding ctizens ARE the are the only people. cut and dried. who can legally possess a firearm.
I happen to think that if we all were required to take and pass a firearms safety and knowledge course and upon passage procure some kind to certificate that it would legitimize the gun owner and marginalize the criminal.
You would be wrong as this would only endanger the right and have no effect on crininals.

I keep hearing the same ignorant lie from the gun grabbers. That somehow some states don't do background checks on firearm purchases. The ONLY exception is a private sale between two private citizens. EVERY firearm sold by an FFL MUST have a background check. FEDERAL LAW. One must show ID and prove they are from the State they are buying the weapon in as well.

Before you embarrass yourselves some more learn the FACTS.

A five minute background check is not enough.

I keep hearing the same ignorant lie from the gun grabbers. That somehow some states don't do background checks on firearm purchases. The ONLY exception is a private sale between two private citizens. EVERY firearm sold by an FFL MUST have a background check. FEDERAL LAW. One must show ID and prove they are from the State they are buying the weapon in as well.

Have you ever had one done ?

Ok ten minutes. The guy looking at the computer screen can go have coffee for 5 mins.

At the end of the day, do you not believe that if law abiding citizens are the only people. cut and dried. who can legally possess a firearm would that not make it easier to catch and put away criminals?
Law abiding ctizens ARE the are the only people. cut and dried. who can legally possess a firearm.
I happen to think that if we all were required to take and pass a firearms safety and knowledge course and upon passage procure some kind to certificate that it would legitimize the gun owner and marginalize the criminal.
You would be wrong as this would only endanger the right and have no effect on crininals.
You would have a legitimate point if the right to own a firearm was absolute. As with all of our rights in the Bill of Rights, these are not absolute.
Many states have very restrictive laws regarding gun ownership.

On the course and test..I think one should have the proper training to own a firearm.
It's the responsible thing to do.

Actually NO firearms regulation of any kind in any state has an effect on criminals.

why not

You cannot support this statement.

You would have a legitimate point if the right to own a firearm was absolute. As with all of our rights in the Bill of Rights, these are not absolute.
No, I am right, period.

Who writes the test? Who puts together the syllabus for the class? Who guarantees the syllabus and the test match? Who makes sure the test isn't created to make sure no one passes? There's no way to argue that requiring a class and a certificate protects the right.

Your idea violates the constitution every bit as much as a class/test/license for voting or reporting the news or going to chuch.

Last edited:
Actually NO firearms regulation of any kind in any state has an effect on criminals.
If the regulations do not affect criminals, then there's no rational basis for so limiting the rights of the law abiding - let along a compelling state interest in doing so.
That said, these regulations necessarily violate the constituion.

Forum List

Back