Bad fall

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Coming back to the hotel from dinner, I turned my ankle on the cobblestones and went down hard. Several bad bruises but no apparent fractures. Have ice on several places and washed the skids. We will be on planes all day tomorrow so these will probably hurt like crazy. It sure as hell hurts now.

Wouldn't you know- it's the ankle I fractured and the knee I had replaced. I have always exercised both but neither is strong as I'd like.

But at least I'm not on my way to a hospital. And, at my age, a broken hip is a real fear.

Such is life.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

What sucks is getting old(er). Youngsters jump up and go on. After a few zillion birthdays, you're lucky if you don't break something.

This really pisses me off.

What sucks is getting old(er). Youngsters jump up and go on. After a few zillion birthdays, you're lucky if you don't break something.

This really pisses me off.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the fall did not effect the quality of your posts.

Just tried to walk --- it wasn't a pretty sight and is excruciating.

Crap. I just hope there are no fractures cuz ain't no way I'm going to a hospital

I take back all the nasty stuff I thought about you. Turns out you're a real

What’s the Treatment for an Ankle Sprain?

Happily, minor to moderate ankle sprains should heal on their own, given time. To speed the healing, you can do the following:

Rest the ankle. Avoid putting weight on your ankle as best you can. If the pain is severe, you may need crutches until it goes away.
Ice your ankle to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20 to 30 minutes every three to four hours for two to three days, or until the pain is gone. After that, ice it once a day until you have no other symptoms.
Compress your ankle. Use an elastic bandage to keep down swelling. Start wrapping at your toes and work back towards your leg.
Elevate your ankle on a pillow when you’re sitting or lying down.
Use braces or ankle stirrups to give your ankle support.
Take anti-inflammatory painkillers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin will help with pain and swelling. However, these drugs have side effects, like an increased risk of bleeding and ulcers. They are best taken with food, and they should be used only occasionally, unless your doctor specifically says otherwise.
Practice stretching and strengthening exercises if your doctor recommends them.
Even Grade III sprains, in which the ligament is completely torn, may heal naturally. In rare cases, you might need surgery. During the operation, the surgeon might remove bits of torn ligament, bone, and cartilage. The ligament may also be repaired (sutured together), or reconstructed (replaced with a biologic material). After surgery, you may need a cast for one to two months. WebMD

Feel better

Keep posting.

It appears you might have also hit your head, and we're terribly concerned.

Repeating the same statements over and over is a sign of mental illness. You should schedule an appointment.

Repeating?

Perhaps you hit your head also: I haven't repeated anything.

Or perhaps you have some congenital mental defect.

Either way, you probably need to slow down. Reading Message boards are an acquired skill. Over time, I've seen marginal improvement even among the severest of handicapped, so please keep posting: Don't give up. PLEASE!

Keep posting.

It appears you might have also hit your head, and we're terribly concerned.

Repeating the same statements over and over is a sign of mental illness. You should schedule an appointment.

Repeating?

Either way, you probably need to slow down. Reading Message boards are an acquired skill. Over time, I've seen marginal improvement even among the severest of handicapped, so please keep posting: Don't give up. PLEASE!

I'm confirming that I've read your post. You don't have to repeat what you said this time. :thup:

Repeating?

I'm confirming that I've read your post. You don't have to repeat what you said this time. :thup:

Thanks for not giving up.

Please let me know if you need more encouragement.

I like to help those who need so clearly it. YOU WILL LEAD A NORMAL LIFE!!!

Repeating?

Encouragement is always appreciated :thup:

Excellent use of a word with more than three syllables.

You're making extraordinary progress!!!

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

BRAVO!!!

And you haven't perseverated on Ludz bumping his head in several posts. Great job man we're all so proud :clap:

Excellent use of a word with more than three syllables.

You're making extraordinary progress!!!

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

BRAVO!!!

And you haven't perseverated on Ludz bumping his head in several posts. Great job man we're all so proud :clap:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I'm pleased you've been able to progress so quickly, but you souldn't try so hard.

Perhaps a nice bowl of oatmeal and a nap will calm you down.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back