Baker investigated for refusing to make same sex wedding cake

I have lived in the epi-center of the liberal loons of New England for the last 6 years.

When ever I am working around these Harvard educated nitwits.

I always pepper my speech with "ya all' and "I reckon so"

That coupled with my southern accent seems to drive them crazy.

It's great fun!!

I love how liberals need to deny reality or twist it to achieve their goals. They don't want transgenderism to be a mental illness so that feelings don't get hurt, but they also want insurerers or the taxpayer to pay for it at the same time.

Liberal darling status.

I hope your friends don't let you down. I had a seamstress several years ago who told me that she weeded out the pains in the ass by telling them she was just 'too busy' to do the work they asked for. Even so, a flimsy excuse to weed out race is not tolerated in the courts if the person is open to the public.

You are not understanding the correct principle. The reason I won my lawsuit is because the lesbian couple could not prove that I was in the business of portraiture. They proved that I had a dog grooming shop, but I didn't discriminate against their dog. They proved that my artwork was on display but did not prove that I refused to sell them any artwork already produced. They proved that on occasion I did paint the portraits of friends. But they could never prove that I was in the business of portraiture and they were entitled to the protection of public accommodation laws.

Your seamstress is in the same position as my mechanic who refuses to work for black people. He doesn't have to say he's too busy. He just says no. Since he's not in "business" he's not a place of public accommodation. Of course this is supported by the courts who cannot force someone to basically do a favor for someone else. As you said IF the person is open to the public. That's a very big IF and it does have to be proved.

I think it would be difficult to prove that a baker was not open to the public for wedding cakes. I doubt most do the decorating themselves, but have people hired who do the job. You just don't hire people to do favors for friends.

It's actually very easy. Especially if you have to hire a cake decorator and don't actually do the decorating yourself. Now the customer is in the position of not only forcing the baker to bake the cake, but hire a decorator too. You might THINK that it would be hard for a baker wasn't open to the public for wedding cakes but all they have to do is say "we don't do wedding cakes".

Eventually there will be a two-tier wedding cake industry. Probably many other kinds of business enterprises also. Those that are open to the public, and those that are not.

Opting out of public accommodation has been around for a long time. I know several asian bars that are simply never open. They've been there for years. They are patronized mostly by Japanese, there are rumors that they don't pay attention to smoking or prostitution laws. They are following the old speakeasy model. They don't even rise to the level of private club. They just have lights out, locked doors and a big CLOSED sign on the front door. Yet the parking lot is full night after night, deliveries still get made. I doubt if they even have a business license.

ORS 659A.403 is the law in question. In short, it prohibits discrimination in places of public accommodation. Klein and his wife have two weeks to respond to the Oregon Department of Justice's inquiry into what happened.

Very clear and straightforward.

And certainly no conservative is going to object to a state enacting and enforcing its own laws, what with ‘states’ rights’ and everything.

Or will this be yet another example of conservative hypocrisy, where the state is violating the ‘right’ of the shop owner to discriminate, and refuse service to whomever he wishes.

As already noted, one can’t have it both ways.

IMO, if you have a business that is open to the public, like a restaurant, then you can't discriminate. However if you have a business where it's an individual contract, like photography or in this case a commissioned cake, then you should be allowed to refuse service for any reason.

Not at all. The baker has to comply with public accommodation laws. What they should have done was take preventative action by removing themselves from being a place of public accommodation at least as far as wedding cakes go.

It's working. It's working in many areas. Like my mechanic who no longer has black customers, or the photographer who no longer has to worry about performing photography services for same sex weddings. No one is less busy, or is making less money. Black customers with broken cars and same sex couples who want a wedding photograher aren't going without. They just have to choose from what is available.

This is what happens when you live on the "left" coast.

Every facet of your life is controlled by some "feel good" or "that isn't fair" law.

I can't even imagine what it's like to live in those states that are so repressive and restrictive and controlling.

Restaurants discriminate all the time. It all depends on how the act of discrimination occurs.

A restaurant doesn't want muslim customers so they don't serve halal food. They don't want orthodox Jews eating there so the restaurant isn't kosher. A muslim or Jew can go into that restaurant and order anything they want and get served, but they can't do that because of dietary restrictions. There are no laws mandating that all restaurants be halal or kosher because they are places of public accommodation.

Likewise a homosexual can walk into the bakery and get all the cookies and pastries they want, but wedding cakes aren't offered. To anyone. At least not publicly. Privately, if the baker likes you he or she can be persuaded to bake a wedding cake. Like the restaurant might make a halal or kosher meal for someone they know.

IMO, if you have a business that is open to the public, like a restaurant, then you can't discriminate. However if you have a business where it's an individual contract, like photography or in this case a commissioned cake, then you should be allowed to refuse service for any reason.

I had a business and we did contract work, if we thought or knew the client had a history of being difficult, I'd raise the bid so it was to expensive for them to use us. I'm not sure they are out of bounds with the Oregon law or not.

Every facet of your life is controlled by some "feel good" or "that isn't fair" law.

I can't even imagine what it's like to live in those states that are so repressive and restrictive and controlling.

That's why there is such a split between public and private accommodation occurring. Make a law, someone is going to be creative enough to find a way around it. That's what happened in the old Soviet Union. There was the public service outlets and the private underground outlets that did a competent job.

It's happening every place. Not just the feel good coasts. Look at the number of "proms" that have cropped up. There is the school prom, but the real prom is private and by invitation only.

That's why there is such a split between public and private accommodation occurring. Make a law, someone is going to be creative enough to find a way around it. That's what happened in the old Soviet Union. There was the public service outlets and the private underground outlets that did a competent job.

It's happening every place. Not just the feel good coasts. Look at the number of "proms" that have cropped up. There is the school prom, but the real prom is private and by invitation only.

link?

ORS 659A.403 is the law in question. In short, it prohibits discrimination in places of public accommodation. Klein and his wife have two weeks to respond to the Oregon Department of Justice's inquiry into what happened.

Very clear and straightforward.

And certainly no conservative is going to object to a state enacting and enforcing its own laws, what with ‘states’ rights’ and everything.

Or will this be yet another example of conservative hypocrisy, where the state is violating the ‘right’ of the shop owner to discriminate, and refuse service to whomever he wishes.

As already noted, one can’t have it both ways.

They would have to challenge the law as being Constitutional. I see it as pretty straight forward.

Sorry, but this makes no sense.

A business is a business, whether one sells ‘ready made’ products from a store shelf or provides services such as rug cleaning or baking specialty wedding cakes – both are equally subject to a state's public accommodations law.

link?

It's public accommodation laws, what is a link for. That is how Curves gets around allowing men, it is a club, not for public accommodation. If you have a private party, you don't follow the same set of laws. There are many private parties, it keeps the issues at bay.

link?

Are you saying you don't know?

Lesbian couple excluded from private prom.
Parents Organize a Private Prom but Exclude Lesbian Teenager | Care2 Causes

Blacks excluded from private prom.
Ga. Students Plan Whites-Only Prom - CBS News

These have been under lengthy discussion on this board so it's surprising that you didn't know.

I have lived in the epi-center of the liberal loons of New England for the last 6 years.

When ever I am working around these Harvard educated nitwits.

I always pepper my speech with "ya all' and "I reckon so"

That coupled with my southern accent seems to drive them crazy.

It's great fun!!

I gave up "I reckon" when a boss I had made fun of me for it. Maybe it's time to pick it back up! When people make fun of how I talk, I tell them they sound funny to, but I have enough manners not to mention it.

Sorry, but this makes no sense.

A business is a business, whether one sells ‘ready made’ products from a store shelf or provides services such as rug cleaning or baking specialty wedding cakes – both are equally subject to a state's public accommodations law.
Nonsense.

There is a business that by its nature is open to the public and one where you are offering for my individual specialized services. So if I go into a bakery in a KKK outfit, you don't have the right to not sell me the cookies on display. However you should have the right to refuse if I want to contract with you to make me a special cake for a KKK rally.

Smashing every square peg into that same round hole isn't proving to be as easy as liberals thought it would be.

Forum List

Back