Baker investigated for refusing to make same sex wedding cake

Why say he makes wedding cakes when he doesn't make wedding cakes for certain people? He needs to advertise that he won't make a wedding cake for same sex couples.

Then people will vote with their feet. His business will go downhill, all because of a stupid decision he made.

He also says that gays can 'buy my stuff' and that he will sell gay people 'stuff' but he is lying - if he served gay people, and sold them what they wanted, he wouldn't have refused to make the cake!

Why would you think that? I'd sell any of my paintings to someone who is gay. I just wouldn't paint their portrait.

You aren't condoning a marriage by painting a picture though, so I don't know why you would refuse.

Why say he makes wedding cakes when he doesn't make wedding cakes for certain people? He needs to advertise that he won't make a wedding cake for same sex couples.

Then people will vote with their feet. His business will go downhill, all because of a stupid decision he made.

He also says that gays can 'buy my stuff' and that he will sell gay people 'stuff' but he is lying - if he served gay people, and sold them what they wanted, he wouldn't have refused to make the cake!

Why would you think that? I'd sell any of my paintings to someone who is gay. I just wouldn't paint their portrait.

So you'll take gay dollars if the subject matter doesn't include gay people but you won't take gay dollars if the the subject of the painting is gay. You won't paint a gay couple together in the same portrait (obviously) but you can't even paint each person separately? You just refuse to paint gay people entirely? What a bizarre business sense you have. You'll take gay dollars for one thing but you won't for another. It's because you don't want to become known as the "gay painter", isn't it?

So you'll take gay dollars if the subject matter doesn't include gay people but you won't take gay dollars if the the subject of the painting is gay.
Hipocracy always go part and parcel with bigotry.

I think this is a civil rights issue. If gay marrige is legal, the people getting married have the legal rights that anyone else getting married has. I think these bakeries who refuse to make a gay wedding cake should have to advertise that fact up front in their advertising material and post it prominently on their shop, inside and out. Then, at least people would know who to stay away from. If I were gay and getting married, I would not want to patronize such a bakery. Also, as a non-gay person, I would also not want to patronize such a shop on grounds of principle. And, when these bakers make their position known, admit what they are doing, it makes it easy to prosecute them on grounds of civil rights violations. If you want to be in business to the general public, you have to include everyone, whether it is about gender, race, lifestyle, ethnicity, etc. Doesn't matter.

I saw this:
"I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God," said Klein. "A man should leave his mother and father and cling to his wife ... that to me is the beginning of marriage."

So, he refuses to make cakes for couples only civilly married too.......or does he? If he does, he's a liar.

BUT, that being said.....unless there's some weird law we don't know about, I can't see this being any kind of crime. He's just a jerk...and probably a lying jerk.

I think people react strongly to boycotts.
Even people who disagree with the bakers position and feel he was wrong in what he did will
not tolerate an angry mob trying to put the guy out of business.

The gay boycott didn't work out so well as far as Chick Fil A was concerned did it? People might be getting a tad tired of boycotts and being led around by aberrant special interest groups. A boycott might, today, boomerang instead of help.

Oh? :eusa_eh:

I'm curious, under this law, are you allowed to have all female gyms, like Curves? Are they required to take men?

What about clinics that cater only to 'women's health' issues?

And what about the VA that is carving out womens' health services?

Women Veterans Health Care Home

They are altering their facilities to cater to this group. Is the US government also in violation by making special accommodations for a particular group?

:eek:Of course the gov't isn't in violation. Remember...they don't have to go by the same laws we do. They get off to easy.

I applaude the baker for standing up for his convictions ........... :clap2:
I applaud him too. Standing up for their convictions is what the homosexuals do, so why not everyone else, especially when we have the right to stand up for what we believe in too just like they do?

God bless you and the baker always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

So you'll take gay dollars if the subject matter doesn't include gay people but you won't take gay dollars if the the subject of the painting is gay. You won't paint a gay couple together in the same portrait (obviously) but you can't even paint each person separately? You just refuse to paint gay people entirely? What a bizarre business sense you have. You'll take gay dollars for one thing but you won't for another. It's because you don't want to become known as the "gay painter", isn't it?

I paint ONLY what I want to paint. It has nothing to do with dollars. If something that I have done appeals to someone and I'm done with my use I don't care who buys it. I very seldom do any commissions at all. Usually if I do it's because I fell in love with someone's dog or cat. The alien concept here is freedom. I know it is a difficult concept for liberals to grasp.

The reason these women lost their case was indeed because of dollars. They could not prove that I was in the business of commission painting. Unlike the baker I never advertised or held myself out as being in the business of painting on request for money. What they proved and all they proved is that I am an artist. My paintings are valuable. I refused to do them a favor.

Someday the bakers will get the message. They won't be in the business of wedding cakes. But if they like you, they can be persuaded.

Last edited:

I saw this:
"I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God," said Klein. "A man should leave his mother and father and cling to his wife ... that to me is the beginning of marriage."

So, he refuses to make cakes for couples only civilly married too.......or does he? If he does, he's a liar.

BUT, that being said.....unless there's some weird law we don't know about, I can't see this being any kind of crime. He's just a jerk...and probably a lying jerk.

Would he make a cake for an engagement party? Or would he ask if the man and woman were living together, and then refuse to bake the cake because its a sin to live together before marriage?

So you'll take gay dollars if the subject matter doesn't include gay people but you won't take gay dollars if the the subject of the painting is gay.

I think this is a civil rights issue. If gay marrige is legal, the people getting married have the legal rights that anyone else getting married has. I think these bakeries who refuse to make a gay wedding cake should have to advertise that fact up front in their advertising material and post it prominently on their shop, inside and out. Then, at least people would know who to stay away from. If I were gay and getting married, I would not want to patronize such a bakery. Also, as a non-gay person, I would also not want to patronize such a shop on grounds of principle. And, when these bakers make their position known, admit what they are doing, it makes it easy to prosecute them on grounds of civil rights violations. If you want to be in business to the general public, you have to include everyone, whether it is about gender, race, lifestyle, ethnicity, etc. Doesn't matter.

They don't wat to be in business with the general public. They only want to be in business with hetero sexuals, and that's their business. Why should anyone be forced to do business with people they don't like. Should liberal bakers be forced to make cakes for the Nazi Party or the KKK?

I paint ONLY what I want to paint. It has nothing to do with dollars. If something that I have done appeals to someone and I'm done with my use I don't care who buys it. I very seldom do any commissions at all. Usually if I do it's because I fell in love with someone's dog or cat. The alien concept here is freedom. I know it is a difficult concept for liberals to grasp.

The reason these women lost their case was indeed because of dollars. They could not prove that I was in the business of commission painting. Unlike the baker I never advertised or held myself out as being in the business of painting on request for money. What they proved and all they proved is that I am an artist. My paintings are valuable. I refused to do them a favor.

Someday the bakers will get the message. They won't be in the business of wedding cakes. But if they like you, they can be persuaded.

It's not an issue of "Freedom", it's an issue of public accommedation. As you say, in your case, you don't do this as a business. But this guy did, and he couldn't refuse to serve a gay any more than he could refuse to serve a black. That's the point.

Frankly, you are free to believe in whatever Bronze Age Fairy Tales you want, but once you put out a sign that says, "Will bake cakes for all occassions!" you are kind of stuck doing so.

Or his business could go up because of his decision, it depends on perception and who he caters to. I imagine his business doesn't need a huge market share to survive.

They don't wat to be in business with the general public. They only want to be in business with hetero sexuals, and that's their business. Why should anyone be forced to do business with people they don't like. Should liberal bakers be forced to make cakes for the Nazi Party or the KKK?

Now that you brought that up, a baker refused to make a birthday cake for a CHILD named Hitler. No problem there. The guy was a hero. Tha't a kid whose birthday cake he refused to make.

Last night on the news there was an interview with this baker, he says his business is up 30% and he's getting a lot of community support. http://www.koinlocal6.com/mostpopul...-after-denying-ga/2-oHSSzmvkSnPs4pN1NhZw.cspx

Last edited:
The state of Oregon has public accommodation laws, which prohibit discrimination against certain classes of people.

The baker in Oregon is refusing under religious grounds, so does the practice of the freedom of religion trump this law? I have no issue with this if that is the case, the baker should be allowed exemption. That point of what trumps what, will probably find its way into the Supreme Court and I would be live the religious freedom, would find the state law a violation of the Constitution.

Forum List

Back