🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Baker Who Won’t Make Cakes for Same-Sex Weddings Appeals Mandatory Re-Education Order

The court in AZ decided a similar case. This is a different court.

The minds of the courts on this are clear, regardless of a decision here or there going one way or another. This fight is over and done with. Equality and decency won...

I hope you're right and the Colorado Appeals Court rules the same way as the AZ did.
56 pages and it all boils down to bake the damn cake, and if you can't, close up and go serve your God in a real way instead of pretending to and standing on your moral high-ground while making a profit.

Scot-Americans will soon be marching to demand they be allowed 5o marry sheep. Colorado will, no doubt, first to legislate in their favor. Then we'll see a baker re-educated for refusing to bake a wooly wedding cake.

Well, I wasn't trying to shut you down. Ibentoken .... guilty (-: I dunno. PA laws don't really rile me up. Gays shouldn't be fired by private companies for being gays. There's a reason for them. As for the baker ... I posted to Marty that the baker isn't practicing his faith baking the cakes; rather, he's serving mammon. Jesus was very explicit that you cannot serve mammon and God simultaneously. If the baker wants to take whatever profit he got on the cake and give it away, then he's taken no benefit, or mammon, for the gay couple's cake. Nor has he anything to do with their marriage. In short, I just don't see the justified outrage in the baker. Sanctimonious. Hypocritical in not facing his own sins of pride and prejudice

This is strictly my personal reflection. I've seen the Episcopal church put more effort into gay marriage than kids in prostitution. Some people work three jobs, but that's been going on forever. Still, free daycare ....

So, while I've no empathy for the baker, it seems to me that this whole issue has given Christians, liberal and not liberal, some room to hide from other issues. There's something of a backlash among some younger folks in groups like the Baptists who see this "gay thing" as a bit of diversion.

As for the PA thing .... in terms of taking away freedoms, I'm more concerned with the economy.

I'm more concerned with our descent into corporatism.

Historians talk about how sometimes the really big shifts in societies are invisible to the people in the midst of them, often even to those implementing them. I find the speed with which we've dispensed with the core principles of equal protection and individual rights, replacing them with class-based privileges and power sharing, to be far more disturbing that a lagging economy.

Well yeah. That's the thing. I don't see how a law saying everyone gets treated the same is really end of freedoms. Fining the baker for being a boor strikes me as not much more civil that the baker's boorish behavior. But, I'm not climbing up on a cross over it. (-:

As for the economy, that is the thing. Dave Camp gave his closing salvo, arguing for reducing rates across the board by elimintating tax breaks, or corporatism. What gets attention? The PA laws. Camp got slammed by the left and right.

It's an end of freedoms because you don't have a right to be "treated the same" by individuals, and individuals have the right to be assholes if they want. If you really can't see a limitation on freedom in passing a law that says, "THIS is the accepted way that human beings can think and behave, and anything else will be punished by the government", simply because the prohibited behavior is something you don't personally like, then you don't understand the concept of freedom at all.

If he offers wedding cakes as a business to the public, he cannot pick and choose which group he serves or not serves....same applies if he were to say he cannot design a cake for an interracial couple....or he refuses to design a cake for an interfaith couple.

Nope. You can't force an American citizen to violate their religious beliefs. Period. They will change the law.

Elane Photography took their case all the way to the Supreme Court, the decision was upheld by the New Mexico Supreme Court and the SCOTUS rejected and appeal writ.

(And again, no one is "forced" to do anything. You voluntarily open a business, no one is forced to. You voluntarily decide on what goods and services to offer, no one is forced to. If you don't want to shoot wedding photographs for same-sex couples, don't offer wedding services. If you don't want to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, don't offer wedding cakes.)

>>>>

Dred Scott took HIS case all the way to the Supreme Court, which upheld the decision against him.

Gosh, I'm glad the Supreme Court is infallible and never gets reversed, overturned, and corrected. :eusa_whistle:

Historians talk about how sometimes the really big shifts in societies are invisible to the people in the midst of them, often even to those implementing them. I find the speed with which we've dispensed with the core principles of equal protection and individual rights, replacing them with class-based privileges and power sharing, to be far more disturbing that a lagging economy.

Well yeah. That's the thing. I don't see how a law saying everyone gets treated the same is really end of freedoms. Fining the baker for being a boor strikes me as not much more civil that the baker's boorish behavior. But, I'm not climbing up on a cross over it. (-:

As for the economy, that is the thing. Dave Camp gave his closing salvo, arguing for reducing rates across the board by elimintating tax breaks, or corporatism. What gets attention? The PA laws. Camp got slammed by the left and right.

It's an end of freedoms because you don't have a right to be "treated the same" by individuals, and individuals have the right to be assholes if they want. If you really can't see a limitation on freedom in passing a law that says, "THIS is the accepted way that human beings can think and behave, and anything else will be punished by the government", simply because the prohibited behavior is something you don't personally like, then you don't understand the concept of freedom at all.

Orwell and Rand saw it coming and wrote about it.

I addressed that point in my quote that you included in your question.

Ummm - How does a baker violating Colordao law show that the Heartland of Atlanta Motel 50-years ago was required by Georgia State Law not to rent rooms to non-white people?

Common, you are claiming that the wide spread discrimination against coloreds was required by State law - where was the Heartland Motel required under the law to rent to whites only?

>>>>

I would note that one key difference here (and one that I brought up earlier but was not engaged on) is the simple fact that the cited case covered a discrimination that was massive, widespread and debilitating. The national law was conceived because no other reasonable approach was envisioned at that time. The nation was dealing with a very widespread belief that blacks were less than whites. This affected every faucet of their lives.

On the flipside, gays are ‘struggling’ with the dozen bakeries and photographers across the country that done want to take part in their weddings. The problem is not widespread, pervasive or limiting in any way shape or form. NONE of the gays in question were found lacking anything by this discrimination.

As I've said, we used to have wide spread discrimination and not all fell under Jim Crow laws:

1. Areas of the country where black people couldn't rent a room for the night when traveling.

2. Areas of the country where black people traveling couldn't buy gas from white station owners.

3. Areas of the country where blacks couldn't eat unless they could find a black's only food establishment.

4. And we had systematic discrimination against minorities in terms of how government functioned, such as segregated mass transit (buses, trains, etc.), schools, law enforcement, etc.​

In those days such things were commonplace, but society has changed in the last 50 years and changed a lot. There has been a "corporatisation" where you can't spit without finding a company gas station, movie theater, restaurateur, motel/hotel, etc. Just because we repeal Public Accommodation laws, doesn't mean that things are going to go back to the way they were 2 generations ago. And there are a number of factors that impact this:

1. We are much more mobile society. People routinely travel in a manner unprecedented then both temporary and "permanent" relocation's out of the area they grew up in.

2. We are more informed society and information is much more available today about how a business conducts it self in term so taking care of customers we have Criag's list, Angie's list, Yelp, and a plethora of hotel, restaurant, and review sites for any type of business and it's not just the discriminated against who would choose not to associate with such a business. It includes many in the majority that would shy away from such businesses.

3. The "corporatisation" of businesses in America watches the bottom line and having your "brand name" associated with and appearing to condone discrimination has a negative impact on the bottom line. With corporate owned "shops" and franchises who still fall under policies of the home office means that these businesses will not allow or condone what was going on prior to the 60's.​

So the question becomes the balance of the rights of the private business owner to manage their private property according to their desires as compared to the desires of others to have access to that private business. With the widespread discrimination 2-generations ago there may have been justification to say the rights of the property owner needed to be usurped - on a temporary basis - but those times are pretty much gone. The balance was greatly tilted toward discrimination.

But in general the widespread issues from 50 years ago have been resolved by fundamental shifts in society. Sure there will be isolated instances, that the price of liberty and dealing with your own issues. A burger joint says - I won't serve a black? OK, walk across the street to Applebee's. A photographer doesn't want to shoot a same-sex wedding? OK, Google or Angie's List other photographers in the area.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all FOR keeping Public Accommodation laws in force in terms of the functioning of government but that is because citizens have an inherent right to equal treatment by the government. There is no such right to equal treatment by other individuals.

There is no need for such law in this case – society is taking care of the issue. As has already been pointed out, gays are socially accepted. The idea that we need to apply laws to limit the freedoms of 300 million Americans to achieve what a boycott would is absolutely asinine and the acceptance of it completely wrong. We do NOT need to create another protected class to address the tiny speck of people acting like fools.

Here I have a slight disagreement. I see no logical reason to keep the existing laws in place for providing protections that are not longer needed because the widespread discrimination inherent 3-generations ago has pretty much passed and exclude a minority group simply because they are currently unpopular.

It is inherently unequal treatment under the law for:

1. A baker to be allowed under the law to discriminate against a same-sex couples because of professed religious beliefs and provide them no service or only a sub-set of services offered to the general public and then...

2. Provide legal protections to that same baker when (s)he goes to a gay photographer and that photographer is barred by denying them service or only a sub-set of services based on the beliefs of that same baker.​

Either businesses should be allowed to refuse services for any reasons (including race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, veterans status, parental status, marital status, etc. [categories vary between federal and state and state-by-state]) or customers should expect equal protections under the law.

>>>>

Last edited:
If thats true, then the only possible conclusion is that polygamy, bigamy, and all other forms of 'marriage' are also legal. How can you justify denying marriage equality to these other minority groups? Its a serious question.

It's not the only possible conclusion, it's the slippery slope fallacy question.

If you believe that the state has no compelling interest in prevent polygamist and "all other forms" (be more specific), then the onus is on you to challenge the courts. Good luck.

Nope, its a legal reality. Once gay marriage is ruled legal then there is no possible legal defence that can be brought to deny polygamy and bigamy and everything else.

If discrimination and equality are the reasons for allowing gay marriage, then the precedent is established and all forms of marriage must be allowed. Its not a slippery slope, its a legal reality.

No, not entirely. Some forms yes but not all those restrictions rely on the same equal access laws.

For instance, bestiality or marriage to an inanimate object has no resemblance here as the other party must have not only the ability to enter contract but also the ability to consent. Ergo, marriage under the age of consent and to other things that cannot give consent will not occur.

Further, bigamy and polygamy are also not an equal access issues. Current marriage mechanics simply are unworkable in a polygamous manner. You are also not denied the right to marry whomever you choose. That right is retained. You simply cannot do this multiple times without voiding the previous contract and so this, again, has no real tangent to gay marriage.

The only real change I can see occurring is that incestuous relationships might very well be able to challenge the laws against them marrying. Honestly, I could care less as I think the majority of people would agree.

I'd piss and crap in the cake batter.

Why am I not surprised? :doubt:

If a retailer did that he would be put out of business and put in jail.

If a baker did that to me, likely I'd be in jail for assault too.

Jail is a good place for you. Forcing people to labor for you against their will is un-American. We got rid of slavery and we're not going to allow the democrats to reinstill it.

Last edited:
No gay was refused service at that bakery. They were refused the personal labor of the baker.

Yes gays were refused service that day.

"Colorado Revised Statutes
24-34-601. Discrimination in places of public accommodation - definition.
(2) It is a discriminatory practice and unlawful for a person, directly or indirectly, to refuse, withhold from, or deny to an individual or a group, because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry, the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of a place of public accommodation or, directly or indirectly, to publish, circulate, issue, display, post, or mail any written, electronic, or printed communication, notice, or advertisement that indicates that the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of a place of public accommodation will be refused, withheld from, or denied an individual or that an individual's patronage or presence at a place of public accommodation is unwelcome, objectionable, unacceptable, or undesirable because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, al status, national origin, or ancestry.

COCODE

The baker refused to provide full and equal services as required by the law.

Slavery is still illegal isn't it?

Yes slavery is still illegal. That avenue was tried in Heartland of Atlanta Motel v. United States - the court rejected it then also. People voluntarily start a business and they voluntarily determine what goods and services they choose to supply to the public.

>>>>

That's what I find most disturbing about the way the political alignments and convictions have shifted. It wasn't that long ago, liberals were on the front line standing up for people who were bullied for their unpopular opinions or lifestyles. Gays themselves were victims of laws that presumed to enforce social mores on fringe groups. I'm surprised more people don't see the hypocrisy in all this.

That's what I find most disturbing about the way the political alignments and convictions have shifted. It wasn't that long ago, liberals were on the front line standing up for people who were bullied for their unpopular opinions or lifestyles. Gays themselves were victims of laws that presumed to enforce social mores on fringe groups. I'm surprised more people don't see the hypocrisy in all this.

The left sees their hypocrisy and they don't care. All that matters is the agenda.

It's not the only possible conclusion, it's the slippery slope fallacy question.

If you believe that the state has no compelling interest in prevent polygamist and "all other forms" (be more specific), then the onus is on you to challenge the courts. Good luck.

Nope, its a legal reality. Once gay marriage is ruled legal then there is no possible legal defence that can be brought to deny polygamy and bigamy and everything else.

If discrimination and equality are the reasons for allowing gay marriage, then the precedent is established and all forms of marriage must be allowed. Its not a slippery slope, its a legal reality.

No, not entirely. Some forms yes but not all those restrictions rely on the same equal access laws.

For instance, bestiality or marriage to an inanimate object has no resemblance here as the other party must have not only the ability to enter contract but also the ability to consent. Ergo, marriage under the age of consent and to other things that cannot give consent will not occur.

Further, bigamy and polygamy are also not an equal access issues. Current marriage mechanics simply are unworkable in a polygamous manner. You are also not denied the right to marry whomever you choose. That right is retained. You simply cannot do this multiple times without voiding the previous contract and so this, again, has no real tangent to gay marriage.

The only real change I can see occurring is that incestuous relationships might very well be able to challenge the laws against them marrying. Honestly, I could care less as I think the majority of people would agree.

The goal of any society should be the protection of the members of that society from danger from without and dangers of degradation from within.

But, I think you missed my legal point. If in fact gay marriage is allowed based on equal protection of a minority, then there is no defense to prevent the minority that believes in bigamy or polygamy from marrying. The exact same legal argument would apply to them. i.e. discrimination based on sexual orientation, or who they love.

Minimize this risk if you choose, but its real.

The goal of any society should be the protection of the members of that society from danger from without and dangers of degradation from within.

But, I think you missed my legal point. If in fact gay marriage is allowed based on equal protection of a minority, then there is no defense to prevent the minority that believes in bigamy or polygamy from marrying. The exact same legal argument would apply to them. i.e. discrimination based on sexual orientation, or who they love.

I can only hope so. I, personally, believe that government has no place in marriage anyway and should eliminate the entire concept. You can enter into contract with anyone that you please and those contracts can cover everything that marriage does (aside from government social engineering with giveaways) but leave marriage for religion where it belongs.

I can only hope so. I, personally, believe that government has no place in marriage anyway and should eliminate the entire concept. You can enter into contract with anyone that you please and those contracts can cover everything that marriage does (aside from government social engineering with giveaways) but leave marriage for religion where it belongs.

fine with me, but you will never get the gays to agree. They insist on calling their hookups marriages. They want the govt to force societal acceptance of homosexuality as a normal human condition rather than the aberation that it is.

Not quite true. There are a number of arguments against polygamy. Polygamy refers only to one man marrying multiple women, to be contrasted with polyandry in which the woman marries multiple husbands. Polygamy includes 1:N wives only, polyandry includes 1:N husbands only - while bigamy could theoretically include N:N wives and husbands.

There are many arguments against bigamy from a historical perspective that if managed properly would no longer be a large issue.
  1. 1. In the past such societies were almost exclusively polygamous and structured in such a way as to be abusive to women. Women were viewed almost as property and were expected to be subservient to the man.
  2. 2. It was not uncommon for older men to exercise political (or religious) "power" over community such that very young women were forced into marriages with these older men (often much older) and left with no means of escape from the community. (i.e. statutory rape with no means of escape.)
  3. 3. High concentrations of polygamous marriages tends to skew the natural ratios of the available male/females in a given population. If you have one man marrying multiple women, those women are effectively removed from the - ah - market so to speak. Now you have an increased number of males while at the same time having a shortage of available females. Leading to problems with how to deal with the males who were often excluded from the community.

Now, these reasons may not be as valid today in a modern western civilization society - although many of these problems might still be applicable to African and Middle-Eastern societies. Much larger and more mobile populations also reduces the impact of past wrongs which occurred in isolated enclaves.

However from a modern perspective there are still valid reasons against legalized bigamy.

Legal View: There is no legal framework to deal with partners in a Civil Marriage that exceeds two persons and the issues that are already complex enough dealing with two individuals and possibly children let alone increasing those issues exponentially with each additional spouse.

In each bigamous marriage, there would be at a minimum three legally intertwined status:
A married to B,
A married to C, and
B married to C.

Add a fourth spouse and you get:
A married to B
A married to C
A married to D
B married to C
B married to D
C married to D

Add a fifth spouse and you get:
A married to B
A married to C
A married to D
A married to E
B married to C
B married to D
B married to E
C married to D
C married to E
E married to D

Add another, etc...

So you have issues with property on who owns what, what was brought into the marriage when. If C decides he/she no longer wants to be part of the plural marriage to what extent is he/she awarded property from A, B, D, and E.

You have issues also with children. Who are the parents. The biological parents or are all adults in a plural marriage equally parents. In the event of a divorce who gets child custody? Visitation? Child support? etc...

When the discussion is about marriage between two consenting adults the current legal system will support it because laws, courts, etc... are geared toward dealing with the same situations. Linear increases in the number of spouses causes an exponential increase on the courts in dealing with those issues.

So there is a secular reason to be leery of bigamy as a government recognized entity that has nothing to do with religion or morality.

>>>>

Not quite true. There are a number of arguments against polygamy. Polygamy refers only to one man marrying multiple women, to be contrasted with polyandry in which the woman marries multiple husbands. Polygamy includes 1:N wives only, polyandry includes 1:N husbands only - while bigamy could theoretically include N:N wives and husbands.

There are many arguments against bigamy from a historical perspective that if managed properly would no longer be a large issue.
  1. 1. In the past such societies were almost exclusively polygamous and structured in such a way as to be abusive to women. Women were viewed almost as property and were expected to be subservient to the man.
  2. 2. It was not uncommon for older men to exercise political (or religious) "power" over community such that very young women were forced into marriages with these older men (often much older) and left with no means of escape from the community. (i.e. statutory rape with no means of escape.)
  3. 3. High concentrations of polygamous marriages tends to skew the natural ratios of the available male/females in a given population. If you have one man marrying multiple women, those women are effectively removed from the - ah - market so to speak. Now you have an increased number of males while at the same time having a shortage of available females. Leading to problems with how to deal with the males who were often excluded from the community.

Now, these reasons may not be as valid today in a modern western civilization society - although many of these problems might still be applicable to African and Middle-Eastern societies. Much larger and more mobile populations also reduces the impact of past wrongs which occurred in isolated enclaves.

However from a modern perspective there are still valid reasons against legalized bigamy.

Legal View: There is no legal framework to deal with partners in a Civil Marriage that exceeds two persons and the issues that are already complex enough dealing with two individuals and possibly children let alone increasing those issues exponentially with each additional spouse.

In each bigamous marriage, there would be at a minimum three legally intertwined status:
A married to B,
A married to C, and
B married to C.

A married to B
A married to C
A married to D
B married to C
B married to D
C married to D

A married to B
A married to C
A married to D
A married to E
B married to C
B married to D
B married to E
C married to D
C married to E
E married to D

Add another, etc...

So you have issues with property on who owns what, what was brought into the marriage when. If C decides he/she no longer wants to be part of the plural marriage to what extent is he/she awarded property from A, B, D, and E.

You have issues also with children. Who are the parents. The biological parents or are all adults in a plural marriage equally parents. In the event of a divorce who gets child custody? Visitation? Child support? etc...

When the discussion is about marriage between two consenting adults the current legal system will support it because laws, courts, etc... are geared toward dealing with the same situations. Linear increases in the number of spouses causes an exponential increase on the courts in dealing with those issues.

So there is a secular reason to be leery of bigamy as a government recognized entity that has nothing to do with religion or morality.

>>>>

you are making my point. thanks

you are citing societal taboos as the defense against polygamy and bigamy. But when those same taboos are legally removed relative to gays based on a discrimination argument, then the exact same argument would apply to all other forms of marriage.

Book it, you can bet that there are bigamist and polygamists engaging lawyers as we speak to take their case to court once gay marriage is made nationally legal.

A married to B,
A married to C, and
B married to C.

A married to B
A married to C
A married to D
B married to C
B married to D
C married to D

A married to B
A married to C
A married to D
A married to E
B married to C
B married to D
B married to E
C married to D
C married to E
E married to D

Add another, etc...

>>>>

No I'm not, I countered your legal view.

you are citing societal taboos as the defense against polygamy and bigamy.

Actually I said quite the opposite: "Now, these reasons may not be as valid today in a modern western civilization..."

Then went on to point out that SSCM changes nothing in regards to how marriage works when it extablishes a family relationship between two people and that there was a compelling government interest in how family law would function under an N:N relationship of males to females in a Civil Marriage.

You apparently ignored or didn't understand the thrust of the post.

>>>>

A married to B,
A married to C, and
B married to C.

A married to B
A married to C
A married to D
B married to C
B married to D
C married to D

A married to B
A married to C
A married to D
A married to E
B married to C
B married to D
B married to E
C married to D
C married to E
E married to D

Add another, etc...

>>>>

No I'm not, I countered your legal view.

you are citing societal taboos as the defense against polygamy and bigamy.

Actually I said quite the opposite: "Now, these reasons may not be as valid today in a modern western civilization..."

Then went on to point out that SSCM changes nothing in regards to how marriage works when it extablishes a family relationship between two people and that there was a compelling government interest in how family law would function under an N:N relationship of males to females in a Civil Marriage.

You apparently ignored or didn't understand the thrust of the post.

>>>>

Why you guys arguing? You agree on the fundamentals - that government should decide who we can marry. You're just quibbling over details.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back