🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

BALTIMORE PD: First in nation, hires college professor to teach recruits to RETREAT from danger.

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Baltimore Police Recruits Receive Cognitive Training | Officer.com

Well....this is a new one. Baltimore Police are now being instructed in their academy by a college professor neuroscience expert who has developed a "better" way for cops to react to danger apparently. It's called "C2"....Cognitive Command. Fancy term for I guess smart policing.

His method? On EVERY call....cops should repeat these 6 words in their head as they begin to encounter a situation:
Breathe
Scan
Cover
Threat
Distance
Escape

So....you breathe and scan as you approach. Ok. That's smart. You look for cover. Yep. Always good have. You SEE A THREAT. Uh oh....now it's getting real. Danger is close.

Next.....distance....and escape.

Um....what? Cops now must escape from dangerous areas and people? Um....who is gonna stop the danger from spreading? If I'm being held hostage....I don't want the cops escaping. I WANT TO BE RESCUED!!

Oh well. This is a new one for me.

You left out this part:

remembering to breathe to keep your heart rate down, scan surroundings for context or potential victims, assess threats and plan escape routes ahead of time --

No I didnt. It's exactly what it says.

But....if a Baltimore cop is approaching a dangerous thug like....say....a Michael Brown...why escape? His job is to arrest him. Not run from him.

Baltimore is about to graduate a class of recruits literally being trained to run away from thugs when it gets dangerous.

Thugs are smiling at this news!

You left out this part:

remembering to breathe to keep your heart rate down, scan surroundings for context or potential victims, assess threats and plan escape routes ahead of time --

But....if a Baltimore cop is approaching a dangerous thug like....say....a Michael Brown...why escape? His job is to arrest him. Not run from him.

Baltimore is about to graduate a class of recruits literally being trained to run away from thugs when it gets dangerous.

I'm not sure why you are trying to make cops look bad. It's quite a change for you.

A cop should ALWAYS be aware of his or her surroundings to minimize loss of life, including his or her own.

You left out this part:

I'm not sure why you are trying to make cops look bad. It's quite a change for you.

A cop should ALWAYS be aware of his or her surroundings to minimize loss of life, including his or her own.
I dont see it as the cops looking bad, I see it as another liberal way to reduce the effect police have while giving the criminal more freedom.
I also see this as a greater reason to carry a handgun in Maryland. I do. And the only license I need is the copy of the constitution that I carry.

You left out this part:

To the point of retreating? If a man is walking through downtown waving a gun and making threats...and he walks into a huge office building....should cops aggressively approach and confront? Or....back off and escape? The latter technique actually was the standard...pre 1998. Then Columbine happened and the Jefferson Sherriffs Office was crucified by media about why they didn't "do something sooner".

Now....we are quick to forget. And are going BACK to those tactics huh?

Libs just think cops should never enter a confrontation if it may turn violent.

WHO will then confront the violent criminals? Not sure. Maybe Batman.

plan escape routes ahead of time
Exactly.
There will be situations that end up unwinnable, as no plan survives first contact with the "enemy".
Planning an escape route doesn't mean that one has to use it - just that it's available in case the situation goes sour.

Well....this is a new one. Baltimore Police are now being instructed in their academy by a college professor neuroscience expert who has developed a "better" way for cops to react to danger apparently. It's called "C2"....Cognitive Command. Fancy term for I guess smart policing.

His method? On EVERY call....cops should repeat these 6 words in their head as they begin to encounter a situation:
Breathe
Scan
Cover
Threat
Distance
Escape

So....you breathe and scan as you approach. Ok. That's smart. You look for cover. Yep. Always good have. You SEE A THREAT. Uh oh....now it's getting real. Danger is close.

Um....what? Cops now must escape from dangerous areas and people? Um....who is gonna stop the danger from spreading? If I'm being held hostage....I don't want the cops escaping. I WANT TO BE RESCUED!!

i thought that means, "consolidate your position" until "reinforcements" arrive?

Breathe
Scan
Cover
Threat
Distance
Escape

i thought that means, "consolidate your position" until "reinforcements" arrive?

The problem is.....cops dont have the luxury of reinforcements. Backup is a luxury. Cops are busy especially in big cities. When these rookies all start hiding and begging for lots of backup....just because some thug is acting aggressive....the patrol Sgt is gonna rip some asses and tell them he can't pull backup cops off a tree...and they better handle their damn calls. And the newbies will say "but sir....and the academy....our professor said...he said to back off and escape...and then call for help...."

You get a suicidal guy alone in a house with a gun? Sure. Those aren't daily calls and we can surround and wait on that. Heck...we can call a 20 man swat team.

But day to day calls involve aggressive people who hate cops. Libs see ONE call and assume the ENTIRE police department is available. It's not. You may have 25 calls going on in one district....and 15 cops assigned to that zone. I'd need 50 cops to send 2 to every call. I have 15. And 9 are hiding behind a car 150 yards away saying "Sarge I need help! The guys not cooperative!!!"

When you get sent to a woman being beaten and choked by an ex....and you show up...alone....you cannot hide and wait for "reinforcements". It's you. You are the "help".

You left out this part:

To the point of retreating? If a man is walking through downtown waving a gun and making threats...and he walks into a huge office building....should cops aggressively approach and confront? Or....back off and escape? The latter technique actually was the standard...pre 1998. Then Columbine happened and the Jefferson Sherriffs Office was crucified by media about why they didn't "do something sooner".

You are simply making things up now. Sometimes a situation can be very dangerous to a cop who may need to have an escape route so he or she can wait for back up.

And no, this wouldn't include some lunatic running around threatening people if lives are in danger.

You make it sound like police are being told to let criminals do as they please. And if only one criminal out there believes you and harms a police officer because of it, you should be in jail.

Exactly.
There will be situations that end up unwinnable, as no plan survives first contact with the "enemy".
Planning an escape route doesn't mean that one has to use it - just that it's available in case the situation goes sour.
Yep, and it's pretty hysterical to watch Bucky90, who got drummed off the police force, to pretend otherwise.

You left out this part:

You are simply making things up now. Sometimes a situation can be very dangerous to a cop who may need to have an escape route so he or she can wait for back up.

And no, this wouldn't include some lunatic running around threatening people if lives are in danger.

You make it sound like police are being told to let criminals do as they please. And if only one criminal out there believes you and harms a police officer because of it, you should be in jail.
It's part of the risk officers take, and it's getting worse due to the left's habit of prosecuting police officers who defend themselves against violent actions from thugs.

You left out this part:

WOW your last paragraph? Really....from a liberal? Pot meet kettle.

Your first two paragraphs are countering each other.

You say cops need an escape plan for when things are very dangerous.

But then you say this doesn't apply to when people's lives are in danger.

Um...aren't those the same thing???

Cops need a plan to WIN the dangerous situation. Retreating and calling for backup....which often isn't available...should never be the standard plan. But....guess we'll see what happens. Last time police had that standard was April 1998. The day before Columbine. That worked great!!!

Cops are human, and they can't be blamed for avoiding situations that may result in the end of their careers, let alone their lives.

All it takes is an accusation now - your career could be over, your family's life could be in danger.

Even if you did nothing wrong, you could be the subject of any number of accusatory news stories and "marches".

Look the other direction if you think you need to.

Exactly.
Yep, and it's pretty hysterical to watch Bucky90, who got drummed off the police force, to pretend otherwise.

You have no clue about tactics.

And you don't know why I left APD.

You left out this part:

WOW your last paragraph? Really....from a liberal? Pot meet kettle.

Your first two paragraphs are countering each other.

You say cops need an escape plan for when things are very dangerous.

But then you say this doesn't apply to when people's lives are in danger.

Um...aren't those the same thing???

Cops need a plan to WIN the dangerous situation. Retreating and calling for backup....which often isn't available...should never be the standard plan. But....guess we'll see what happens. Last time police had that standard was April 1998. The day before Columbine. That worked great!!!
A danger to the cop, twit. I'm sure those two cops that were executed in Nevada would have survived if they had been paying attention to their surroundings and knew how to defend themselves, including escaping and waiting for back up.

Cops are human, and they can't be blamed for avoiding situations that may result in the end of their careers, let alone their lives.

All it takes is an accusation now - your career could be over, your family's life could be in danger.

Even if you did nothing wrong, you could be the subject of any number of accusatory news stories and "marches".

Look the other direction if you think you need to.

Haha...now THAT is the real lesson these recruits will get once they hit the street. That they are in a no win situation. Just stop showing up.

You left out this part:

Looks like they are being trained to fully assess the situation before they rush in

Forum List

Back